Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Why Does Texas Have Its Own Power Grid? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Why Does Texas Have Its Own Power Grid? by blackrams
Started on: 02-16-2021 09:26 AM
Replies: 159 (2326 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 01-12-2024 09:49 PM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
I wasn't framing it in that perspective. The way I see it, there are two sides to this... (and then everyone else who doesn't really care one way or another).

- One side is pushing this failure as an example of green energy not working, and while they are pointing out valid arguments, they're ignoring the positives that otherwise come from wind farms.
- The other side is desperately trying to change the narrative to cover up for the failure of the wind farms, and in most cases actually lying and misrepresenting the failure.

My comment was that this is a freak situation, and we shouldn't really be blaming wind farms for the failure, but that we cannot simply lie and ignore that these wind farms didn't have a weakness in this completely unexpected and once in a quarter century weather occurrence.

Oh, I like the wind farm idea also and hope they develop the solar option to a greater efficiency. I think both are great alternative energy power sources and can greatly supplement systems already on line. At least until something else comes along. What I think is foolish is standing alone. Every state has it's own issues, won't deny that. Don has recently become fond of pointing out Mississippi's short comings and that's OK. No where is perfect. It's the standing alone that I think is foolish but, that's just my opinion and it's not worth much to some.

Rams
IP: Logged
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Actually, Pearl River Power and we're doing fine (even though the PTO Generator is on the tractor and ready to do it's thing).
As I previously stated, the local news has asked that all Mississippians reduce their consumption so power can be shared with "other" states.
No idea who those other states are but, I'm thinking it probably isn't TX. But, that's just a guess on my part.

Rams

And your guess would be wrong/don't believe everything you think. Pearl River Power is part of the same consortium the electric provider I buy from is.
Not all of Texas is part of ERCOT. My provider is Entergy and they opted out of ERCOT some years ago. They (and Pearl River) are part of MISO.
Mid Continent Independent System Operators.

All tho, are subject to damage from ice caused distribution problems, which is why I initially lost power. After I lost power and it was restored 36 hrs later, we went into rolling blackouts as all of MISO had to sell or buy power to/from areas in and outside of their usual customer base. (That mandatory' buying selling' of excess power is a federal thing)
Electric providers buy and sell power to other areas on a daily basis, based on projected estimated needs and supply.
Pearl is part of SME..Southern Mississippi Electric (now usually called Cooperative Energy) all of which is a member of MISO.

December 18, 2013
SME integrates into MISO, a regional transmission organization.

https://cooperativeenergy.c...line-of-our-history/

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Appreciate the information. Didn't know that. At least, not all of it you posted.
I surely won't get upset by any misplaced state pride.
At least our area is on a shared system.
So, that must mean a large part of Texas stands alone. Clearly by choice.
As has been said here many times previously, Choices have consequences.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-18-2021).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh, I like the wind farm idea also and hope they develop the solar option to a greater efficiency. I think both are great alternative energy power sources and can greatly supplement systems already on line. At least until something else comes along. What I think is foolish is standing alone. Every state has it's own issues, won't deny that. Don has recently become fond of pointing out Mississippi's short comings and that's OK. No where is perfect. It's the standing alone that I think is foolish but, that's just my opinion and it's not worth much to some.

Rams

A quick drive up and down I-10 will actually show that Texas has acres and acres of solar power farms as well... an unbelievable amount. Unfortunately, when they get covered with snow, they stop working.

All of the green energy programs were to support Texas with it's day to day operation, reducing dependence on fossil fuels... and it works spectacularly 99% of the time. But in this snow storm... which is a freak of nature here, the green energy failed horribly.

As I was saying, my frustration is that the greenies are outright lying about what's going on right now, because of ideology. We need to be honest with each other. If the greenies just said... "Hey, solar and wind are amazing 99.99% of the time... but this is a freak of nature storm," then we'd all be good. But they are totally misrepresenting and lying about the power grid and it's getting spread around that it's the fossil fuel plants that are failing.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A quick drive up and down I-10 will actually show that Texas has acres and acres of solar power farms as well... an unbelievable amount. Unfortunately, when they get covered with snow, they stop working.

All of the green energy programs were to support Texas with it's day to day operation, reducing dependence on fossil fuels... and it works spectacularly 99% of the time. But in this snow storm... which is a freak of nature here, the green energy failed horribly.

As I was saying, my frustration is that the greenies are outright lying about what's going on right now, because of ideology. We need to be honest with each other. If the greenies just said... "Hey, solar and wind are amazing 99.99% of the time... but this is a freak of nature storm," then we'd all be good. But they are totally misrepresenting and lying about the power grid and it's getting spread around that it's the fossil fuel plants that are failing.

Makes sense to me. As I said previously, I'm in support of alternative renewable energy.

Rams
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Teddy checked out and flew to Cancun for a vacation......He is a "Man of the People"......
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Teddy checked out and flew to Cancun for a vacation......He is a "Man of the People"......

If he had needed a baggage carrier, I would have made myself available.
One of the things that go along with having a little money. No harm, no foul IMHO.

Rams
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After listening to various sources for the past few days, I have come to a conclusion... Texas, for the most part, put all their eggs in one basket. And it came back to bite them.
They were banking largely on a technology called "combined cycle". (Google it. It's out there.)
Basically, the plants use natural gas to generate electricity. But that's only part of the equation. They use the waste heat from that process to fuel a secondary process that is capable of generating even more electricity. The problem is that combined-cycle plants hate cold weather. (One of my co-workers reminded me of this, earlier. And it makes sense. The cold temps reduce the amount of "useable" waste heat.) So THAT has impacted the generation capacity.

The other side of the coin is this...
Picture the typical heat pump HVAC system. It typically has to handle a maximum ~35 degree disparity between inside and outside temperatures. (105 degrees outside, to 70 degrees inside. Ballpark.)
What we're looking at is 0-to-10 degrees outside. Even with the the 35 degree "spread", it still only gets you to a maximum of 45 degrees. Send in the "aux heating systems".
Some of them are natural gas, which is already in short supply. Period. Some of them are "resistance wire" or "hot wire" heaters. Grossly inefficient, even compared to heat pump systems. There just isn't enough electricity to go around.
(I'll just make mention that, as I understand it, most Texas homes are designed to shed heat, which is the usual summertime scenario. Not to retain it, which would be preferable in the current situation. This was from an article I read. I have not verified this portion of the show.)

Add to that, that most of Texas just doesn't have the capability of "importing" electricity from other outside systems. By design.
The pathways (transmission lines) just arent there, in large enough numbers.

I might be wrong on certain points, but I believe it sums it up fairly well.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-18-2021).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

After listening to various sources for the past few days, I have come to a conclusion... Texas, for the most part, put all their eggs in one basket. And it came back to bite them.
They were banking largely on a technology called "combined cycle". (Google it. It's out there.)

SNIP

Add to that, that most of Texas just doesn't have the capability of "importing" electricity from other outside systems. By design.
The pathways (transmission lines) just arent there, in large enough numbers.

I might be wrong on certain points, but I believe it sums it up fairly well.

Agreed.

Rams

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually, Pearl River Power and we're doing fine (even though the PTO Generator is on the tractor and ready to do it's thing).

I'm really surprised that you are not on MPC. We have a fairly large communications hub / presence in Hattiesburg.
But that might be the northernmost edge of where we serve. I've never been there.

We were under "conservative operations" (no unnecessary system changes, or "off-line" conditions) restrictions, until yesterday afternoon. But that's not unusual.
Other than that, I don't know of anything special that we've been doing, other than relocating line crews (to places on and off our system) to aid in restorations. But then, again, I'm not privy to all the inside scoop. If they tell us "Don't break anything", that's all the info we need to know.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-18-2021).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I'm really surprised that you are not on MPC. We have a fairly large communications hub / presence in Hattiesburg.
But that might be the northernmost edge of where we serve. I've never been there.

We were under "conservative operations" (no unnecessary system changes, or "off-line" conditions) restrictions, until yesterday afternoon. But that's not unusual.
Other than that, I don't know of anything special that we've been doing, other than relocating line crews (to places on and off our system) to aid in restorations. But then, again, I'm not privy to all the inside scoop. If they tell us "Don't break anything", that's all the info we need to know.

Steve,
All I can tell you is who we get a bill from. Can't explain it any further. It's Mississippi ya know.
It might be that I'm actually in Lamar County. Just outside Hattiesburg. We do ride the edge of just about everything here.
Except the mail, ya never know when it's gonna arrive.

Rams
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Appreciate the information. Didn't know that. At least, not all of it you posted.
I surely won't get upset by any misplaced state pride.
At least our area is on a shared system.
So, that must mean a large part of Texas stands alone. Clearly by choice.
As has been said here many times previously, Choices have consequences.

Rams

CLEARLY by Choice just as we were born in 1836, and we're good with that. We've weathered much worse storms than this and will weather this one as well. It's no different than the 'once in a lifetime' or 1000 yr Hurricane Harvey except it affects a lot more people than just near the coast. The leftist media, politicians, Californians, (and a few in people in the Old Deep South) makes a bigger deal of it than it actually is.
Texas may fall eventually, but for the most part we will do so independently and we'll never be known as someone's 'Mississippi'.
theBDub

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why does anyone care about this? The NYT was treating this like the worst move a politician could’ve ever made. Why should he be forced to sit through the cold just because others are? It doesn’t help anything for him to stay in Texas.

I’m no Cruz fan (especially the last few years), but this whole string has been idiotic.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Steve,
All I can tell you is who we get a bill from. Can't explain it any further.
Except the mail, ya never know when it's gonna arrive.

Rams

All good. It is what it is. Just a matter of curiosity.
Hell... *I* can't even get my service from Southern Company / Ga Power. I certainly can't bag on anyone else, because they also have to deal with one of those *cough* other power companies.

Don't feel bad about the mail. We're so far out in the country, here, that they have to pipe in sunlight, along with the internet.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

CLEARLY by Choice just as we were born in 1836, and we're good with that. We've weathered much worse storms than this and will weather this one as well. It's no different than the 'once in a lifetime' or 1000 yr Hurricane Harvey except it affects a lot more people than just near the coast. The leftist media, politicians, Californians, (and a few in people in the Old Deep South) makes a bigger deal of it than it actually is.
Texas may fall eventually, but for the most part we will do so independently and we'll never be known as someone's 'Mississippi'.

Damn Don,

You seem to be focused on insulting Mississippi. That's OK, every state has it's issues.
I hold allegiance to no state but, I still take my oath to the US Constitution seriously.
Reference those Mississippi comments, let'em fly.

BTW, there ain't nothing wrong with Texas, clearly quite a few Californians have decided that's the place to move to. So, there's that.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-18-2021).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 04:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am fine. I am surviving the Texas Kerrville Ice Age of 2021.

Why does Texas have it's own power grid ? Oh my, your not from Texas.

Screw You, Were From Texas

This winter blast, what a blast. I am having a blast. 5 degree temps, -13 wind chill factor. The first day, was freezing rain. They told us not to get on the roads "unless you had to". We had rolling white outs (power). On an hour, off two. Dammit Jim.

Lost TV and internet even when we had power. ???. My inside temperatures were a balmy 68 degrees. Toasty actually, when I came back inside.

Again, they told us not to get on the roads "unless you had to". No internet, no TV, what to do ? I had two choices. One was talk with the wife, . That's code for listening. Her true given Indian name is "Mouth That Runs Like A Fast River". Been there, done that for 28 years.

My second choice ? Get on the roads. Do any of you doubt what I did ? Really, I love my wife dearly but I went out and played with Mother Nature. What a blessing. I saw many that needed help. Help I did. Some walking, some with vehicular needs.

I got this wild hair up my azz. Perhaps my water pipes were not protected as much as needed at my property in another county, 80 mile round trip. I had two choices. Talk with my wife, or risk my life, . Do any of you doubt what I did ?

Again I truly love and adore my wife.

On the way to Bandera, the wife calls. "Do we have any fire wood" ? We do not have a fire place, ? . Her boss needed some, (none to be found). I have a good supply of BBQ sectioned wood and willing to give it up. Then I remembered the "Wood Choppers" home just burnt to the ground. Wood choppers being a derogatory name in the neighborhood.

They had wood and needs. I had no cash. For ten dollars he put in I think $50.00 worth of wood on the honor system. I got there and he was working outside, in 5 degree weather. He is a man !

While I was in Bandera I called my favorite frack head. I was conscripted to set up a warming center, volunteering. Under the efforts of our local volunteer fire department. What a blessing to be a part of it.

I am done for now. Did 'ya see where a man replicated a statute of Abraham Lincoln out of snow ? Good job he did,

Out of boredom (wife) I though about building a snow man. Meh, too boring. I decided to build an igloo. Then I was going to go out there and sit on my lawn lounger in a thong, hoping to make it into blackram's this years calendar as Mr February.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff,
Was wondering about you and how you and you lovely wife were doing. Glad things are survivable. Stay as warm as possible and keep your eyes open for those water lines.

This was sent to me by a friend in Texas. There are parts that are funny.
Texas Snowpocalypse Freezing News Update!
https://www.youtube.com/wat...jJQ&feature=youtu.be

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-19-2021).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks.

I made a couple of strategic mistakes. I did not use anti gel additive in my truck's diesel fuel. Lady Winter told me she doesn't like me when the doors to my P/U were frozen shut. I don't much like her either. I went back home and got a cup of "cold" water and thawed my way in.

I also did not have a battery powered radio on hand.

Water lines ? There are no water lines because the grocery store shelves are bare. There is no fuel available either. We need those front line hero truck drivers to get here.

They will. Life is good.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Thanks.

I made a couple of strategic mistakes. I did not use anti gel additive in my truck's diesel fuel. Lady Winter told me she doesn't like me when the doors to my P/U were frozen shut. I don't much like her either. I went back home and got a cup of "cold" water and thawed my way in.

I also did not have a battery powered radio on hand.

Water lines ? There are no water lines because the grocery store shelves are bare. There is no fuel available either. We need those front line hero truck drivers to get here.

They will. Life is good.

Cliff,
Not lines at the store for water maybe I should have said water pipes. Watch for busted pipes that leak. If your area is like here in Southern Mississippi, they don't bury water lines very deep. My contractor thought I was wasting time, effort and money when I insisted my water lines be buried at least two feet below ground surface. I'm glad I did, two of my neighbors had lines freeze.

Rams

slicknick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

Why does anyone care about this? The NYT was treating this like the worst move a politician could’ve ever made. Why should he be forced to sit through the cold just because others are? It doesn’t help anything for him to stay in Texas.

I’m no Cruz fan (especially the last few years), but this whole string has been idiotic.

Because it’s his job to represent his constituents. Get out there and volunteer at a warming shelter or do some work. Cut some red tape for people that are strung up by law. Anything.

He left his dog behind too, so if that doesn’t tell you what kind of guy he is, I dunno what will.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by slicknick:

He left his dog behind too, so if that doesn’t tell you what kind of guy he is, I dunno what will.

Hadn't heard about the dog. Do we have any factual information about the situation he left that dog in? Was it tied up outside without any water or shelter to a telephone pole?
Or, was it left in some kind of sheltered and catered to dog boarding facility?

Rams
PFF
System Bot
slicknick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hadn't heard about the dog. Do we have any factual information about the situation he left that dog in? Was it tied up outside without any water or shelter to a telephone pole?
Or, was it left in some kind of sheltered and catered to dog boarding facility?

Rams

Left in the house for a security guard to feed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk...s-resort-Cancun.html

[This message has been edited by slicknick (edited 02-19-2021).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Left in the house for a security guard to feed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk...s-resort-Cancun.html

You think? Hmm.. OK
I'm thinking his dog lives a pretty good life but, have absolutely no proof.
You edited your post. Very Slick of you.
A security guard was caring for the dog, Snowflake. Hmm, damnation for sure.
According to your source:

Cruz was accompanied by his wife Heidi and two daughters, aged 10 and 12
Their poodle, Snowflake, which they got as a puppy in 2014, remained at home
On Thursday at 1pm Snowflake was at home, but Cruz was yet to land back
A security guard told reporter Michael Hardy he had been caring for the dog

Rams

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-19-2021 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ted must be a mooslim. We heard the Glenn Beck crowd say Obama is one because he wouldn't travel with his dog.

slicknick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You think? Hmm.. OK
I'm thinking his dog lives a pretty good life but, have absolutely no proof.
You edited your post. Very Slick of you.
A security guard was caring for the dog, Snowflake. Hmm, damnation for sure.
According to your source:

[QUOTE]Cruz was accompanied by his wife Heidi and two daughters, aged 10 and 12
Their poodle, Snowflake, which they got as a puppy in 2014, remained at home
On Thursday at 1pm Snowflake was at home, but Cruz was yet to land back
A security guard told reporter Michael Hardy he had been caring for the dog

Rams

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I’m totally slick. My original post said something to the effect of he left it in the house for a neighbor to take care of. I’m sorry I got more details and posted a link for you.

Cruz wasn’t coming back until he got busted. Poodles aren’t outside dogs. Dog was left in a 30 degree house to be checked on by a security guard.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'Just crippling': Texans devastated by ice storm are now hunting empty shelves for food and water

https://www.msn.com/en-us/n...1dOsE1?ocid=msedgntp

AUSTIN — The slow-moving winter disaster pummeling Texas that began with snow, ice and widespread blackouts is now moving into a new phase: A dire lack of food and fresh water.

Supermarket chains that remained open in past disasters have shuttered in the face of power outages and impassable roads. Cities like Houston and Austin are on citywide water boil orders, even though many homes don’t have power. And stores that are open are often lined with empty shelves, as delivery trucks struggle to reach them over still-icy roads.

Joe Giovannoli, 29, arrived at a Central Market supermarket in Austin at 8:30 a.m. Thursday, an hour-and-a-half before it opened. Minutes later, more than 200 people had lined up behind him in the biting 26-degree weather.

Giovannoli’s wife is three months pregnant and the power in their one-bedroom Austin apartment blinked out Tuesday night. After a water pipe broke, firefighters also turned off the building’s water, he said. Giovannoli said he realized he still had it better than many others across Texas, but worried how long things will take to get back to normal.

“This is going to be the next phase after things defrost,” he said, looking at the long line forming behind him. “It’s been mentally degrading.”

One of those waiting in line behind him was Johnny LaTouf, 62, owner of the Skylark Lounge, a well-known blues club in East Austin. LaTouf’s home never lost power but his ex-wife, son, two daughters and their families all lost power and moved in with him: 10 people, five dogs and one turtle in total.

LaTouf said he wished local and state leaders had done a better job of warning people about the impending disaster. For now, he hoped to pick up milk and some canned goods to get him and his clan through the next few days.

“It’s really important to be connected to your family and your neighbors,” he said. “That’s what gets you through this.”

A few minutes before the store opened its doors, a manager stepped outside and warned those waiting in line that supplies inside were low: No produce, no baked goods, not much canned food.

“We haven’t had a delivery in four days,” he said.

In Harris County, the largest in Texas with nearly 5 million residents, more than 33,000 homes remained without power Thursday and thousands of people didn't have access to clean water, said Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo, the county’s top executive. When the power went out at Harris County Public Health Department and then the generator failed, officials had to rescue more than 8,000 COVID-19 vaccines, she said.

Rams

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

blackrams

31841 posts
Member since Feb 2003

Yeah I’m totally slick. My original post said something to the effect of he left it in the house for a neighbor to take care of. I’m sorry I got more details and posted a link for you.

Cruz wasn’t coming back until he got busted. Poodles aren’t outside dogs. Dog was left in a 30 degree house to be checked on by a security guard.

Slick,
All I'm saying is that you're jumping to conclusions. You and I really don't know what conditions the dog was left in.
Apparently, you don't care for Mr. Cruise. Am I jumping to a unjustified conclusion?
I can understand, I find myself having to hold back frequently when seeing news about Speaker Pelosi.
My understanding is, she doesn't think walls are necessary to protect Americans and yet has one surrounding her home and thousands of NG troops protecting her workplace.
But, that's just me.

Do I think the Senator should have stayed in TX, yeah, I do but, I don't have a problem with him sending his family to warmer weather. Bad judgement on his part but, only for political reasons. Although, I honestly don't know what "red tape" he could have cut or, how much he could have done at some shelter.......... Other than "Political" reasons. I honestly don't blame him and wished he had called me to carry his baggage to and from the plane at the destination. Heck, I'd have been happy to escort his family there just to ensure they made it safely.

Rams

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-19-2021 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ted sux. Speaking as a conservative, he's repulsive to me. He's as phony as Michelle Bachman. He's been trying to ride that Trump train, but his natural character and history is globalist shill just like he and Bachman did with the Tea Party they helped subvert. Eff him.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have spent a lot of time in Mexico over the years. I would not take a dog there.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't really understand why this matters. I know optics are important, but I also think this is a little ridiculous.

Furthermore, what exactly is Ted Cruz supposed to do? People really do not understand the structure of the US government... we've failed in civics.

Texas US Federal Senators represent the State of Texas, and to some extent, the Governor, to the Federal Senate.
Texas US Federal Congressmen/women represent the people of the State of Texas to the Federal Congress.

ALL of these people have already done everything they can do... and that is, request emergency funding and resources from the Federal government, which they've done. Beyond that, there is literally nothing left for them to do.

Because Democrats have built so much focus on central government, people have absolutely no clue who their locally elected representatives are. There is a whole structure of politicians that they SHOULD be reaching out to which can actually make the change they want (or think they want).

City Commissioner - Depending on the size of your city, this is the first person you reach out to.
Mayor - This is the next person that affects the outcome of where you live.
County Commissioner - Depending on the size of your county, you have this person.
County Mayor / Manager - Next level, who the commissioners report to.
State House of Representatives - Represent the PEOPLE to the state Government
State Senate - Represents the people at a higher level than the representatives to the state Government
Governor - President of the State

But no... everyone goes to the Senator... because that's where everyone has been conditioned to go.

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"What we got here is failure to winterize."
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

"What we got here is failure to winterize."

Rinse, unrelated question... did you have any involvement in Atari Corporation? I noticed you're in Sunnyvale, and it's really just a tiny off-shoot of San Jose... just curious if you had anything to do with them back in the day. Atari just came out with a new video game system a few months ago called the Atari VCS. Lol, I know... it's the same name as the original, but it doesn't use cartridges, but streams games.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Me, I actually fixed computers at Atari after I got out of the Navy.....I can tell you exactly why they failed....Just ask.

As for Ted Cruz- It would not be that big a deal but he was ragging on someone else for leaving during a crisis.

As far as the Texas situation; No matter what, you need to have someone who watches for stupid stuff from (Corrupted) power organizations; (Not Energy power) I watch the liberals complain about big biz and I watch the conservatives complain about big govt......>>>>Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely<<<< (It doesn't matter where your power comes from.

Anyone with power can become corrupted.......And they all should be watched and not given a "Free ticket".....Texas had a situation- was obvious to everyone...Should have been addressed. One thing that makes me crazy is when a "Leader" (Corp' or Political) does something wrong and then is allowed to walk away- usually with a "Golden parachute"

Ford and the Firestone/Explorer debacle; Jac Nasser was running Ford and when they started hearing of tire problems HE told them to "just LOWER the tire pressures" which is EXACTLY wrong...But he was given a gigantic pay-off and later tried to leverage buy-off the luxury division (Jag/Aston Martin/Rover)....He should have been fined into the ground for the damage done to both Ford and the people injured in all of the tire failures within that situation.

"As a man in power, you have nothing to fear but a big pay-off" That is NOT capitalism! That is welfare for rich idiots.....
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rinse, unrelated question... did you have any involvement in Atari Corporation? I noticed you're in Sunnyvale, and it's really just a tiny off-shoot of San Jose... just curious if you had anything to do with them back in the day. Atari just came out with a new video game system a few months ago called the Atari VCS. Lol, I know... it's the same name as the original, but it doesn't use cartridges, but streams games.

No. I never had any involvement of any kind with the Atari Corporation, or even with its products.

I've never been a video gamer.

I had the experience of designing and programming or coding some databases and software that were part of some really awesome NASA, Air Force and passenger airline (Lufthansa) flight crew trainers that were immersive in concept. The trainee or user would be seated in a mockup of a cockpit with motion actuators, and looking onto synchronized video displays to have the experience of looking out through the cockpit window(s). Full color. 3D perspectivized. Special weapons effects (not for NASA or Lufthansa .) The Space Shuttle landing environment at Edwards AFB and the payload manipulator arm and cargo bay simulation.

I guess that was close enough to video gaming for me.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 02-19-2021).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rich and powerful.....(Our betters) should never have to suffer for their bad decisions......

Ted Cruz is ABOVE all of the rest of Texas, and as such, you should never question what he does.......Now, if he was a democrat or hadn't backed Lord Trump to the hilt, then you should have a recall.......

Hyp-O-crisy........I just wonder how all of those people with wrecked pipes/walls/floors/etc are going to pay for all of that damage....?

And you gotta wonder about a "Conservative" who names his dog....."Snowflake".......

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The rich and powerful.....(Our betters) should never have to suffer for their bad decisions......

Ted Cruz is ABOVE all of the rest of Texas, and as such, you should never question what he does.......Now, if he was a democrat or hadn't backed Lord Trump to the hilt, then you should have a recall.......

Hyp-O-crisy........I just wonder how all of those people with wrecked pipes/walls/floors/etc are going to pay for all of that damage....?

And you gotta wonder about a "Conservative" who names his dog....."Snowflake".......

I'd love to know the story of how that dog got it's name.
Other than that, the above is pure
Did you ever tell us the flavor of that kool aid?

The vast majority of those folks that haven't gone south, wish they could have. Reference those pipes, that's what insurance is for.
And if they didn't have insurance, bad choices have bad consequences.

While it's obvious that Senator Cruise's trip was and is a politically silly move, tell me what he could have accomplished?
Any anger should be directed at those responsible for the electrical grid issues.

Rams

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd love to know the story of how that dog got it's name.
Other than that, the above is pure
Did you ever tell us the flavor of that kool aid?

The vast majority of those folks that haven't gone south, wish they could have. Reference those pipes, that's what insurance is for.
And if they didn't have insurance, bad choices have bad consequences.

Rams

Ted Cruz has young daughters, I'm sure they chose the name.

I'll bet the Kool Aid is raspberry flavored.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Ted Cruz has young daughters, I'm sure they chose the name.

I'll bet the Kool Aid is raspberry flavored.

OK Willie- Stop looking over my shoulder! I actually drink Cran-Raspberry mixed with Raspberry Lemonade and a little water; What is really funny tho is that I don't like Raspberrys and I don't like Cranberrys- Mix the two together and it is terrific!

Just what would you guys be saying if Teddy was one of them-there Lib-R-als....From the Demo-crap party? You'd be flipping the hell out- and you know it!

But ANYTHING a TRUMP!!! support does is A-OK with you.....ANY-Freaking-Thing!
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oops, double tap.

Rams

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave