Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Retired? How do you fill your day? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Retired? How do you fill your day? by blackrams
Started on: 01-27-2021 06:08 AM
Replies: 76 (1020 views)
Last post by: GTGeff on 02-01-2021 09:36 PM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had a job since I was 12 years old, Spent much of my adult life in the military and then joined the civilian workforce and worked my way up the management chain until the Peter Principle caught up with me. Director of OHSA in KY, Production Manager in a couple of different facilities and then General Manager of an Auto Parts store. Owned and maintained a small Hot Shot Transport entity. Have been retired for almost two years now, moved to Mississippi for a number of reasons, the economic and tax reasons being high on the priority list. Bought and completely remodeled/added on to the house we bought, finished that a few months back, trimmed back the forest that surrounded three sides of my property, cleared the fence lines and now, I'm looking for anything to do to keep me busy.

Here's my problem, I'm bored as hell. Retirement is great if, all you want to do is sit on yer ass and watch tv or play on this damn computer but, it gets old. Looking at buying the property behind my own but, the owner doesn't want to sell it quite yet, sentimental reasons. He's elderly and is holding on to it for his daughter. She doesn't want it but won't tell him that so, now I feel like a vulture waiting for him to die so I can buy it and clean it up. I hate Pine Trees. He's in a full time rest care home due to a stroke. It's a sad situation for him.

I still have all the trucks/trailers/equipment to transport all kinds of things but, really feel the need to be around to help the wife out, she's kind of clumsy and her dog has tripped her twice this year resulting in her getting hurt. I'd shoot the dog but, that would lead to other issues.

Due to the Pandemic, we don't go out much and other than delivery drivers, don't see many folks. I'm bored as hell. Being retired means, you've got a lot of time to do things but, don't have the income to really do all the things you would like to. Have addressed most of the things in my bucket list but, I'm not quite ready to die.

I joined the local EAA flying club but, they are all fixed winged guys and I get bored there, not a single one can hover.
Thought about getting back into the farming/ranching mode but, really don't have enough property (at this time) to do anything.

So, what do you retired guys do?

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-27-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have any hobbies? Like to build stuff? Artistic or paint by numbers?
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I owned and operated my own auto repair/transmission shop for 44 years and retired this past Sept. I moved some of my trans equipment to my shop at home. I spent the first couple of months cleaning and setting up the shop better. I'm only building some competition and street rod transmissions for cash paying customers. After years of 12-14 hour days, I like being able to pick and choose what I'm going to do. I have a fairly well equipped wood shop also, and will be doing more woodworking. For the first time in my life, I was able to hunt the entire whitetail rut last fall. I've always been a project guy and as long as I can afford to, I can dream up enough of those to keep me busy(not to mention the several unfinished ones that are years old). I can also do some of the chores at a slower pace. I takes more than a few minutes to saw up the winter fuel supply and now that I'm heating the garage full time, the wood consumption has gone up a few face cord. We will see what summer brings. Hoping to do more fishing and maybe cruise around more. I don't do much social media, but maybe I'll spend more time here. Well, it's getting late. I guess I should fire up Whitey Ford and go plow the driveway. Good luck to you Rams.
Marc
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

You have any hobbies? Like to build stuff? Artistic or paint by numbers?

Have looked at several different things in the hobby line. Either not that interested or, costs way too much to get into.
Ride my Valkyrie quite a bit but, you can only go so much and so far. Used to like to build furniture (woodworking). But, no longer have the tools and they ain't cheap for good quality tools.

This thread, was started pretty much out of boredom. That should tell the readers of this thread something.
Was talking to one of those delivery driver's the other day, he said they were desperate for drivers.
I laughing said, well tell your boss to give me a shout.

I'll be damned if his boss didn't call me the next day. Considering my options. It's something to do and bring in a few bucks.
His boss told me he was having a terrible time hiring, many can't pass the background check/drug screen and those that can don't want to work.

Interesting conundrum. Thinking about it.

Originally posted by OldsFiero:

I owned and operated my own auto repair/transmission shop for 44 years and retired this past Sept. I moved some of my trans equipment to my shop at home. I spent the first couple of months cleaning and setting up the shop better. I'm only building some competition and street rod transmissions for cash paying customers. After years of 12-14 hour days, I like being able to pick and choose what I'm going to do. I have a fairly well equipped wood shop also, and will be doing more woodworking. For the first time in my life, I was able to hunt the entire whitetail rut last fall. I've always been a project guy and as long as I can afford to, I can dream up enough of those to keep me busy(not to mention the several unfinished ones that are years old). I can also do some of the chores at a slower pace. I takes more than a few minutes to saw up the winter fuel supply and now that I'm heating the garage full time, the wood consumption has gone up a few face cord. We will see what summer brings. Hoping to do more fishing and maybe cruise around more. I don't do much social media, but maybe I'll spend more time here. Well, it's getting late. I guess I should fire up Whitey Ford and go plow the driveway. Good luck to you Rams.
Marc

Sounds like you've got a plan. I thought I had one but, since I don't have a shop any longer and the prospects of getting one are remote, I'm at a loss for that kind of project. Mostly due to the way my property lays and of course, new shop buildings aren't cheap to build.
But, I am trying to buy the ladies shop next door. She only uses it to throw crap into the trash guys won't take. She's gonna have to do something in the near future, it's pretty well packed. It's about 20'X30' (a guess) and not really what I want but, it'll do. But, again she has an emotional attachment to the building cause grandpa built it.

Can't stand the fishing thing, just not my thing. Getting old sucks. But it beats the obvious alternative.

Rams

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2021 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fedex del driver type thing looks very unattractive. It cant be worth it by watching them.

Maybe the food del might be something that could let you put eyes on lots of neighborhoods where you could spot a project that you weren't considering?

Something to get you around a high rent district can open up possibilities.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

The fedex del driver type thing looks very unattractive. It cant be worth it by watching them.

Maybe the food del might be something that could let you put eyes on lots of neighborhoods where you could spot a project that you weren't considering?

Something to get you around a high rent district can open up possibilities.

Something to keep in mind. One of the reasons I joined EAA was to get more involved in what's happening in this area but, COVID slowed that down a bunch.
Reference the FedEx opportunity, just something to consider. It would get me out and about to places I haven't been. One never knows. As I always told my wife, every trip hot shotting was an adventure. Boy, do I have some stories I could tell.

Rams
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2021 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EAA sounds fun. But an acquaintance of ours died in one.

Our fedex driver is female and uses it as an exercise op. She runs to the door and back. If you were to ask me, well, it appears to be working. You wouldnt like the time demands they put on you. The curve seems to have passed Fedex.

Building a trans from time to time in retirement sorta appealed to me when thinking what to do when the time comes.
Something to make a few dollars.

Consider these three words: Mobile Spray Tans.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From my teens to my thirties, I was glued to a motorcycle and my plans were to spend my retirement in the saddle. But after literally millions of miles of asphalt have passed under my ass, the road has lost its magic. The highway holds no hoodoo.

Though it wasn't planned, I rekindled my first love: music. As a child, I learned piano, violin and guitar and was always surrounded by everything from boogie woogie to Beethoven. When I became an adult, I stopped playing.

After I retired, I bought a new guitar, then another, then a fiddle, a clarinet, a pedal steel....well you guys know the rest of the story. There are enough different styles and instruments to keep my attention from here to eternity.

What I learned: retirement isn't about plans.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-27-2021).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2021 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get yourself a 3d printer. Its a hell of a frustrating learning curve for the first few weeks-month but after that there are literally a gazillion models out there and hobbies to get into. Plus people will pay for some of the stuff so at worst its a free hobby and at best a sideline business that (mostly) runs itself since the printing is hands-off. Everything from gun parts to gaming pieces to home décor to tools and usefull items. Past month I have even started to teach myself 3d modeling and am starting into original designs.

If you get into the modeling, once you are good enough you can sell your designs on a bunch of different websites. Total cost to get started is under 500 bucks with a decent-but-not-top-notch printer.

Early version of a custom AR type frame for a Ruger I've been working on. ALL the bells and whistles built-in...and since its not a "Replica" or "near identical" its not included in TruDumbs gun ban and legal in Canada. Just to play it safe I'll print it in Grey and Blue or something since nobody EVER built an AR in those colors.

The whole thing is addictive once you get into it. Hell, even the pegboard tool mounts on my workstation, I didnt buy them I printed custom ones for exactly what I need to fit exactly what I have.

This isnt exaclty "retirement" for me either, its just a case of the goobernment decided to go and close about 60% of my contracts right now since they were "non-essential business". Once things open up again things will pick back up. But, I have the time, may as well do something productive with it.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 01-27-2021).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a lot of hobbies;

A) Working on the Fiero (And my van)

B) Working on my boat

C) Working on house and yard

D) Painting

E) Drawing Cartoons

F) Writing stories that are funny from my past;

The first time we went camping at Trinity lake was in 1965- I was 4 at the time. Our friends told us to "Launch at the marina and then go around to the left and back into the arm"....But they failed to tell us which Marina to launch at!
We launched at the wrong marina and ended up at Minersville campsite- alone. It was windy and my Father said we would stay there the night and search for our friends the following day. We began to set up the campsite, and then my Mother started to cook dinner while my Father was setting up the tent.
It was an old "Arabian nights" style tent- four poles in a square around the top(Inside) and one long pole in the middle to hold it up. My Father was inside trying to get it to all fit together and a gust of wind knocked the tent over- there were a couple of clunks from the general area of my Father's head inside the tent- Followed by my Father uttering several words that were new to me.
I went over to my Mother and stated "Mom...Dad is saying words I never heard before!" She looked at me, then at where my Father was crawling out of the tent, and then told me "Eric- why don't you go down and watch the boat- make sure the wind isn't blowing it around"
I went down and watched the boat- but I knew my Father had done a good job of anchoring it out away from shore...I wondered why my Mother had sent me down there......
It was several years later that I came to actually know what all those new words meant!
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is not Maryjane moving. Gentleman farmer could be just the thing. That and curing beaver pelts.
PFF
System Bot
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
She seems to have no problem filling my days for me.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

She seems to have no problem filling my days for me.

That, my friend, is a totally different subject. Though, I have worked that "honey do" list down considerably.
Most of what is left, she can't afford. Labor rates have increase significantly.

Rams

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2021 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I DO beg to differ with fixed-wings not hovering--or even flying backwards--you just have to know how, have the right winds, and balls enough (or be stupid enough) to get behind the power curve.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 01-27-2021).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I DO beg to differ with fixed-wings not hovering--or even flying backwards--you just have to know how, have the right winds, and balls enough to get behind the power curve.

Show me you can hover in that fixed wing on a still wind day and I'll be impressed. Till then........................

Rams

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Show me you can hover in that fixed wing on a still wind day and I'll be impressed. Till then........................

Rams

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Not quite a hover but, I'll admit that's an impressive performance by a talented pilot in a stunt plane. Yeah, now do it in ground effect.
There have been experimental planes that were tried for vertical take offs. They didn't work out so well.
Different missions, different types of AC for different applications.

Rams
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2021 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ground effect is the easiest.....(use a C150, they are barely fast or powerful enough to kill you)....40 flaps, full power, point it up and dance on the peddles.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ground effect is the easiest.....(use a C150, they are barely fast or powerful enough to kill you)....40 flaps, full power, point it up and dance on the peddles.

Without a roll out? Sure. What ever you say. We both know better.
Regardless, this has nothing to do with doing something during retirement.

Rams
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rams

Rams......Well, here you go (Yes I know it is a special circumstance but...)

PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2021 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welllll.....if you are THAT bored, you could get back into calendar production.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Welllll.....if you are THAT bored, you could get back into calendar production.

Well, there's an idea but, the last few issues didn't go over all that well.
My guess is, too many fat Canadian men in thongs.
Can't prove it but, the sales just didn't support the marketing.

Rams
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ron I don't even think Mike can fly. He needs to go back to his liquor ball sandwiches.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Ron I don't even think Mike can fly. He needs to go back to his liquor ball sandwiches.

I have no idea but, will take your word on that.

But, let's get back to what you other retired folks do.
I really need to find some kind of hobby. (Besides this forum)

Rams
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2021 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not since 2004 dude.
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rams, you seem like a down to earth kind of guy. I spoke of some of mine including being an avid outdoorsman. Some of the more enjoyable times have been when I'm in the woods just watching nature and observing the critters and their personalities. I usually carry a camera when I'm out. In fact, sometimes it's as much fun shooting things with that. You have to be in to it though, or it could be boring I recon. Some of the shows I've seen in nature are better than most of the crap on TV. Don't know if that qualifies as a hobby, but it is relaxing for me. What are your interests that are doable?

[This message has been edited by OldsFiero (edited 01-27-2021).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2021 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2021 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OldsFiero:

Rams, you seem like a down to earth kind of guy. I spoke of some of mine including being an avid outdoorsman. Some of the more enjoyable times have been when I'm in the woods just watching nature and observing the critters and their personalities. I usually carry a camera when I'm out. In fact, sometimes it's as much fun shooting things with that. You have to be in to it though, or it could be boring I recon. Some of the shows I've seen in nature are better than most of the crap on TV. Don't know if that qualifies as a hobby, but it is relaxing for me. What are your interests that are doable?

I also enjoy the "woods". I consistently go for walks out on the property directly behind my own. (The acreage I'm trying to buy.) Lots of birds and, deer and activity around the pond there. We actually put out deer corn every day and have 3 to 6 deer show up daily to eat what we put out. My wife's goal is to be able to hand feed these deer. I sincerely doubt that's going to happen but, if it makes her happy, I'm happy for her. But, that's only good for so long for me personally. I mean really, how long can you do that without getting bored.

What I've decided is that some of us are goal driven and that helps us define what we are. That may not be accurate for all of us but, I've always had a list of what was important in life (to me). Two things always topped my priority list. Family and Job. They seemed to be tied in what's most important prior to my retirement. My family was first but, if I didn't take care of my job, I couldn't take care of my family so, my job always seemed to win (with several exceptions).

Now, with no job and the kids out on their own, it's just the wife and I. She not only doesn't need my hovering around her all day, she doesn't want me hovering around in her way.

So, that's pretty much what this is all about. I've got to find another passion to fill that time. Most of what I really want to do is well beyond my financial capability at this time. But, I still have hope, that Power Ball is just one drawing away from fulfilling all my dreams.

Thanks for the input.

Rams
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2021 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You sound like a person who shouldn't retire.

Find a job that you think you can enjoy. Don't worry too much about the pay.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2021 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't you just move to Mississippi?

Seems to me that you should be an Elvis impersonator.
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2021 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

You sound like a person who shouldn't retire.

Find a job that you think you can enjoy. Don't worry too much about the pay.

Precisely what I'm thinking. Just looking at my options. Don't let anyone ever tell you age discrimination doesn't exist. I'm seeing it frequently. Don't get me wrong, I understand wanting to hire someone who doesn't have aging issues. But, when those young studs don't want to do it and there is someone standing there willing, I'm thinking it's kind of silly not to give them the opportunity.

That's exactly why the FedEx manager gave me a call. He can't find folks willing to work who can pass the background check and the drug screen. His words, folks in my generation have a better work ethic and can be depended upon to be there and do the job. I haven't decided what I'm going to do about his offer. But, I'm considering his offer.

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Didn't you just move to Mississippi?

Seems to me that you should be an Elvis impersonator.

There are insurance issues to consider.
Something to consider, I've got the "Hip Swivel" but the knees ain't what they used to be.
Which means, I can't run as fast to get away for all those crazy women.

Rams
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2021 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I also enjoy the "woods". I consistently go for walks out on the property directly behind my own. (The acreage I'm trying to buy.) Lots of birds and, deer and activity around the pond there. We actually put out deer corn every day and have 3 to 6 deer show up daily to eat what we put out. My wife's goal is to be able to hand feed these deer. I sincerely doubt that's going to happen but, if it makes her happy, I'm happy for her. But, that's only good for so long for me personally. I mean really, how long can you do that without getting bored.

What I've decided is that some of us are goal driven and that helps us define what we are. That may not be accurate for all of us but, I've always had a list of what was important in life (to me). Two things always topped my priority list. Family and Job. They seemed to be tied in what's most important prior to my retirement. My family was first but, if I didn't take care of my job, I couldn't take care of my family so, my job always seemed to win (with several exceptions).

Now, with no job and the kids out on their own, it's just the wife and I. She not only doesn't need my hovering around her all day, she doesn't want me hovering around in her way.

So, that's pretty much what this is all about. I've got to find another passion to fill that time. Most of what I really want to do is well beyond my financial capability at this time. But, I still have hope, that Power Ball is just one drawing away from fulfilling all my dreams.

Thanks for the input.

Rams

I don't really reccomend it, but getting a girlfriend will cure every single one of your percieved problems.

OR do as I did and take on a hobby that is also work.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2021 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I don't really reccomend it, but getting a girlfriend will cure every single one of your percieved problems.

OR do as I did and take on a hobby that is also work.

That brought a huge smile to my face. Thanks, I needed that.

Rams
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2021 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could get a Fiero.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2021 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My neighbor got a part time job moving rental cars from city to city. He seems to like it.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2021 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't really speak to your situation, but I plan to retire in a little over a year.
I'd like to learn how to fabricate metal. Cutting, welding, etc.
I'd like to do "pretty" fences and railings, as well as engine brackets, and etc. (Seems like there might be a market out there...)
Might do harnesses, since hands-on electronics is my background. But it seems like kind of a thankless trade, based upon some of the back-and-forth.

Fortunately, I now have enough room, for the first time in my life. Now all I need are time, money, and skills.
Or maybe I'll just help my wife train dogs.

Edit - One of my goals has been to learn to play the guitar. Or either prove to myself once and for all that it's a lost cause.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-28-2021).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2021 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

You could get a Fiero.

Got TWO! I’ve owned 21 as of now. Alll were 88s. Want one? We can work something out. Don’t Believe I need any more.

Rams
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2021 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you're stocked up. Same here. Three Four

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 01-28-2021).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2021 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

My neighbor got a part time job moving rental cars from city to city. He seems to like it.

There's an idea I like. Thanks, will consider that and see it I can find out anything.

Ya know, I can move multiple cars if they let me use my truck and trailers.

Originally posted by Raydar:

I can't really speak to your situation, but I plan to retire in a little over a year.
I'd like to learn how to fabricate metal. Cutting, welding, etc.
I'd like to do "pretty" fences and railings, as well as engine brackets, and etc. (Seems like there might be a market out there...)
Might do harnesses, since hands-on electronics is my background. But it seems like kind of a thankless trade, based upon some of the back-and-forth.

Fortunately, I now have enough room, for the first time in my life. Now all I need are time, money, and skills.
Or maybe I'll just help my wife train dogs.

Edit - One of my goals has been to learn to play the guitar. Or either prove to myself once and for all that it's a lost cause.

Steve,
Those are some good ideas (for you). Any kind of fabrication normally has a niche. Unfortunately, I'm no longer supposed to weld, something about a pace maker and doc's orders. Wiring harnesses? Not my thing but there may be room in the market for another vendor, not sure. What I think I know about that makes me steer away though. Every different engine swap requires a different harness with a lot of different variables. My head would overheat trying to do that.

Music or playing and instrument/singing? No Way, I got kick out of the church choir cause I couldn't carry a tune.

Rams
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock