Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Has Died at 87 (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Has Died at 87 by CoolBlue87GT
Started on: 09-18-2020 07:39 PM
Replies: 101 (1683 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 09-26-2020 07:59 PM
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the Outsider’s Champion, Has Died at 87

Appointed in 83 by Clinton. In recent years served as the most senior member of the court's liberal wing consistently delivering progressive votes on the most divisive social issues of the day, including abortion rights, same-sex marriage, voting rights, immigration, health care and affirmative action.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 09-18-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After the next appointment can we please repeal the NFA?
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, oh man! It's going to be Kavanaugh hearings part two. This time it's going to go on for four years.

I hear the new nominee picked his nose when he was two years old.

The Dems are going to be ruthless.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 09-18-2020).]

rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Man, oh man! It's going to be Kavanaugh hearings part two. This time it's going to go on for four years.

I hear the new nominee picked his nose when he was two years old.

The Dems are going to be ruthless.

This is going to be even worse. The right must not faulter.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-18-2020 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm gonna solve 2 problems at once !

We give you Justin Trudumb....

Well, it puts our problem into your empty seat, anyway !

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

This is going to be even worse. The right must not faulter.

We cannot afford to lose the senate. Arizona has a tough battle going on right now.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not for sure how this will effect the election.

I'm sure both sides will be going nuts to do whatever they can to use this in their political favor.

Trump has already submitted to everyone the 20 individuals that he would select from.

Harris has not and I don't suspect her to release a list of people she will select if she was elected.

Interesting times.

rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We cannot afford to lose the senate. Arizona has a tough battle going on right now.

Honestly who is voting for Biden? I've seen ONE yard sign.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With eleven days until he first debate, the topic will no longer be merely hypothetical.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19527 posts
Member since Mar 2009

I'm thinking about McSally's senate seat. Mark Kelley has a lot of money behind him.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is no doubt going to be a campaign topic and tool.
I only see it helping joe in the end. The Republicans are not ruthless enough to make it a win for them.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

This is no doubt going to be a campaign topic and tool.
I only see it helping joe in the end. The Republicans are not ruthless enough to make it a win for them.

I agree.

The ideal situation would be for the senate to cooperate and push through a confirmation fast, but many will be worried about votes and may not make it easy.

35 seats are up for grabs and 2/3 of those are Republicans. If they are in "swing states" they will be concerned with appeasing their left leaning constituents.

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I imagine the left will try to stall the process until after the election. Any person who accepts the nomination now is going to find out about all the transgressions they've made that they didn't know about. I imagine, if Trump could nominate a black conservative woman, it may take some wind out of their sails. However, they are throwing people who typically support them under the bus now anyway so I doubt a race and gender "traitor" would cause them any hesitation.

I can see the political satire cartoons already. Pictures of Pelosi and other Democrats doing CPR trying to keep Ginsberg's heart beating until after the election.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 09-18-2020).]

rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
McConnell's Statement

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

McConnell's Statement

EVERYONE SING ALONG NOW:

LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Trump signs are still dominate, but I am seeing Biden signs popping up.

Trump is the only president I have ever seen flags for, and they are abundant.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I skipped past all the political BS.

Only one thing is fairly certain. Nobody's getting nominated before the election.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

I skipped past all the political BS.

Only one thing is fairly certain. Nobody's getting nominated before the election.

Why not?

By the way, after "skipping past the political BS" you do realize that you made a political statement?

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-18-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nominated..or confirmed?
There is a big difference.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good point. Confirmed.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Nominated..or confirmed?
There is a big difference.

Yep, Trump already has a list of nominees. The confirmation a much more lengthy process and at this point in time needs to be handled professionally, properly and competently.
That means get the right person without alienating potential voters OR WORSE empowering biden's people to actually show up and vote.
Her death could cause people to get out the vote. But like I said, I don't see any big sway in Trumps favor, only pissed of liberals and progressives voting for joe.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble. He springs up like a flower and withers away; like a fleeting shadow, he does not endure. ... "

Fear no more the heat o’ the sun,
Nor the furious winter’s rages;
Thou thy worldly task hast done,
Home art gone, and ta’en thy wages:
Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He needs to nominate someone tomorrow. Does anyone think the left is actually not trying their very hardest to defeat Trump anyway? It’s been nothing but hate for 4 solid years.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

He needs to nominate someone tomorrow. Does anyone think the left is actually not trying their very hardest to defeat Trump anyway? It’s been nothing but hate for 4 solid years.

That is what I would like to see. Nominate and confirm as fast as possible, so that it will be over and done, well before the election. 45 days is a lifetime in the modern news cycle. The left will have to find something new to whine about.

The second option would be to wait until mid November, no one would have to worry about alienating their constituents.

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2020 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

That is what I would like to see. Nominate and confirm as fast as possible, so that it will be over and done, well before the election. 45 days is a lifetime in the modern news cycle. The left will have to find something new to whine about.

The second option would be to wait until mid November, no one would have to worry about alienating their constituents.

Lest anyone has forgotten, the 2000 Bush v Gore election contest was eventually decided by the SCOTUS

The Left has already sworn to fight this upcoming 2020 election in the courts.

Americans deserve a FULL 9 member SCOTUS for what is coming.

What I would love to see is a fast nomination and bring it quickly to a vote in the Senate.

To add a "cherry" on top of that I would also love to see a 50 / 50 vote split and see Vice President Pence cast the tie breaking confirmation vote.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-18-2020).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2020 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are going to hear a LOT of Leftist whining and complaining in the weeks ahead about not confirming a new SCOTUS Justice ahead of the election and Senator McConnell’s refusal to hold hearings and a vote on Obama’s nominees, Merrick Garland in 2016

To help try to clear up any confusion, SEVEN Presidents, both Republican and Demorat, have made nominations for vacant SCOTUS seats during an election year.

The Senate confirmed Mahlon Pitney to replace John Marshall Harlan during President William Taft’s last year in office in 1912. Woodrow Wilson placed two men on the Supreme Court, Louis Brandeis and John Clarke, while running for re-election in 1916.

Herbert Hoover added Benjamin Cardozo to the court in 1932, the year he lost re-election to Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Frank Murphy joined the court eight years later, as FDR faced off against Wendell Willkie in the 1940 presidential race.

Lyndon Johnson nominated Abe Fortas to the bench during his last year in office in 1968 sparking the first Senate filibuster in U.S. history of a Supreme Court nominee vote effectively ending Fortas' nomination.

Justice Anthony Kennedy was confirmed by a Democratic-controlled Senate in 1988, during Ronald Reagan’s last year in office.

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2020 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

randye

13835 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2020 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is talks that they actually might have to select a replacement for RBG before the election.

I can understand the reason. It would be in Trump's interest to delay it after the election, but with this election, we all know that it will go through the courts and that it will make its way to the Supreme Court, just like Bush vs. Gore.

With 9 justices, we are guaranteed a tie breaker, if any. But with 8, and the decision goes 4 and 4, we are in deep kimchee then.

So I would have to agree that a new Supreme Court Justice is warranted before the election to mitigate a constitutional crisis if there happens to be one through the courts.

Can you imagine that Nancy Pelosi being the President till this is resolved?

She is speaker and 3rd in line.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2020 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The court will convene in just over two weeks. I would love to see a new justice seated by then. With the senate's cooperation, it could happen.

The left would then have to riot outside the courthouse. Wouldn't that be fun?

edit: For all of the humorless among us, no that would not be fun.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 09-19-2020).]

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2020 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

This is EXACTLY what I told the wife when I first saw this!
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2020 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The court will convene in just over two weeks. I would love to see a new justice seated by then. With the senate's cooperation, it could happen.

The left would then have to riot outside the courthouse. Wouldn't that be fun?

edit: For all of the humorless among us, no that would not be fun.

The United States Supreme Court has become utterly Ruthless
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2020 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini: It’s been nothing but hate for 4 solid years.

It’s a shame no one on your side remembers the love & cooperation your side lavished on President Obama in the name of little more than obstruction, followed by dismantling any achievements he accomplished in his term simply because his name was on it.

Gimme a break.
Your side is just as petty and obstructionist as the other.

The shame is while short-sighted pretend know-it-all’s are playing a morons game of chess, everybody loses.

Absolute blindness.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2020 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by maryjane:

"Man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble. He springs up like a flower and withers away; like a fleeting shadow, he does not endure. ... "

Fear no more the heat o’ the sun,
Nor the furious winter’s rages;
Thou thy worldly task hast done,
Home art gone, and ta’en thy wages:
Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Beautiful!
Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2020 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

It’s a shame no one on your side remembers the love & cooperation your side lavished on President Obama in the name of little more than obstruction, followed by dismantling any achievements he accomplished in his term simply because his name was on it.

Gimme a break.

The shame is while short-sighted pretend know-it-all’s are playing a morons game of chess, everybody loses.

Absolute blindness.

In the past, including Obama's picks for Supreme Courts, you had a mix of both Republicans voting yes to his picks, and some Democrats that actually voted no.

That has been the case for all Supreme Court picks by all Presidents, with the exception of Trump's two picks.

Not a single Democrat voted yea to those two picks. First time in history.

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2020 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

In the past, including Obama's picks for Supreme Courts, you had a mix of both Republicans voting yes to his picks, and some Democrats that actually voted no.

That has been the case for all Supreme Court picks by all Presidents, with the exception of Trump's two picks.

Not a single Democrat voted yea to those two picks. First time in history.

Nobody can honestly look at how Justice Bret Kavanaugh was treated by Demorats during his confirmation hearing and not see it as anything other than sick, dishonest, hateful and nasty.

That disgrace was a follow up to Demorats disgusting and hate filled treatment of Justice Clarence Thomas during his confirmation hearing.

As a reminder Joe Biden was the Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman who led his party's racist assault on Justice Thomas.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-19-2020).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2020 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Gimme a break.

Absolute blindness.

This belittles everyone that while didn't like Obama or his policies still stood ground for the Great Country they belong to.
Your brush my friend is very much the wrong size.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2020 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I, for one, did not agree with the "fundemental changes" POTUS 44 wanted to implement.
So yes, I resisted his efforts, not out of disrespect to the office, or the man, but because I thought the policies were wrong.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2020 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is another reason to get this done quickly: Because Martha McSally was appointed by the governor to fill a vacant seat, some are of the opinion that the upcoming election should be treated as a "spacial election" in the respect that the winner should assume the office immediately rather than waiting for January. If Kelly wins, there goes another vote. We cannot count on Susan Collins or Lisa Murkowski, so the margin is already very thin.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 09-19-2020).]

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2020 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

Trump signs are still dominate, but I am seeing Biden signs popping up.

Trump is the only president I have ever seen flags for, and they are abundant.

Remember this?

LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2020 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

Remember this?

I do not.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave