Started on: 09-13-2020 08:19 PM
Replies: 4 (133 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 09-13-2020 11:43 PM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2020 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always believed that music was the one thing that freely and enthusiastically defied cultural division while still celebrating the unique characteristics within every culture. Boy was I wrong.

This video purports to explain that music theory, as taught in institutes of higher learning, is steeped in white supremacy. Yep, music is racist to the core.

I usually learn a lot from Adam Neely’s videos, but this time he is full of crap to the point of being insulting. The study of music is not complete without the study of culture, but just as with the study of any subject, it must begin from the perspective of the student. You didn’t learn math by starting with differential calculus. You started by counting apples, something with which you were familiar.

He uses a video by Anuja Kamat as an example of things musicians don’t know and don’t care to know. This is an erroneous assumption. I have watched and learned from her videos and it is obvious that many other have, as well. After all, she has 222,000 subscribers.

As American children, we first learned American songs and I am sure kids in Kuala Lumpur learned Malaysian songs. That doesn’t make them Malaysian supremacists, it just makes them Malaysians.

American music probably has at least as much cultural and racial diversity as anywhere else in the world.

It is a long video filled with esoteric content and I don't expect that most will watch it, but you don't need to watch it to understand my point.

Marked politics because I am sure someone will try to say that I am racist for saying that music is not racist.

------------------

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 09-13-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post09-13-2020 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:
American music probably has at least as much cultural and racial diversity as anywhere else in the world.

What do you mean by "American" music?
Native -"American" music, or the conglomeration of all the music of all the different cultures that brought their native music here?

You know, "The Great Melting Pot".
Music is the second purest form of that expression.
Sex is the first.

Originally posted by williegoat:
Marked politics because I am sure someone will try to say that I am racist for saying that music is not racist.

Never telegraph your punches; it makes you look like you're punching.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 09-13-2020).]

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2020 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Native -"American" music, or the conglomeration of all the music of all the different cultures that brought their native music here?

Never telegraph your punches; it makes you look like you're punching.

Never try to frame the argument. It makes it look like you're trying to frame the argument.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-13-2020).]

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2020 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Black Fifes Matter"
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2020 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

"Black Fifes Matter"

Barney Fife matters!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock