Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Anyhone here experience with tattoo healing problems?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyhone here experience with tattoo healing problems? by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 07-08-2020 11:28 AM
Replies: 30 (1159 views)
Last post by: Boondawg on 07-27-2020 12:22 AM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my first tattoo just over a week ago. I've always wanted one and finally decided it was time to get a small one on my wrist. I was very very happy with the result:

It's an Unalome, but one I designed myself. It has a few elements that mean something to me. I was very happy the artist did such a great job. But after a few days, I noticed the tattoo was starting to look weird. I took this foto on day 5:

Click to show

As you can clearly see, the edges of the tattoo were red and some heavy bruising could be seen around the edges as well. I looked it up on the internet and I read that wasn't really out of the ordinary, so I left it at that. But it became progressively worse... a day later, it looked like this:

Click to show, images are getting more graphic!

Yesterday (so after 8 days), it looked like this and is why I decided it was time to visit the doctor:

Click to show, again images are getting more graphic!

I went to the doctor's today and they think it's a bacterial infection and I will need antibiotics. I took this picture moments ago (it actually looks better than yesterday):

Click to show

I'm a bit bummed out because I'm worried this has totally ruined a beautiful tattoo and that it will look terrible once it has completely healed. I was soooo glad with the result when I just got it...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well that looks painful.
How long did you keep it covered?

I have several now and have never gone through anything like that.
My first I used an antibody ointment for the first week and it healed without any issues.
The ones after that I was told not to use any medicated ointment and while they did heal it took longer and I don't see any differences.

I had one tattoo that took a long time to heal and I was afraid it was going to scar and have white patches where it had really bad scabs
But today it is fine and there was no issue with any of the color.

I did notice that my skin doesn't like white ink and the two tattoos that had white ink it has faded to where you cant see it anymore. They itched really bad for a long time, but are fine today minus the white ink.

Good luck with yours I hope that it sorts itself out.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 07-08-2020).]

Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2020 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Observationally, it looks to me like the skin directly over the ink has died.
And it looks like the skin surrounding the ink is pulling away.
It smacks of an immune-system problem with the ink itself.

If I was somebody else, i would seek the advice of a professional.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dang...looks like some ugly cuts I've had from barbed wire...
I only got one tat in 70 years and the guy that did it was adamant I keep it coated in some kind of antiseptic salve for the first 10 days and it came out alright, but they cut right thru it when they did my open heart surgery so you can't even tell what it was now..

From what I've heard, tattoos on the inner wrist or forearm can be a problem because the skin flexes so much in everyday use and the skin is so thin.

I know that of all the cuts and scrapes I've had over the years, the inner wrists are the slowest to heal.

Good luck with it!

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 07-08-2020).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too bad TBone isn't around any more. Haven't heard from him in a couple of years.
Even the facebook page is down.
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd take the first train to a doctor.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To me, the actual tattoo will be fine once it heals and the scabs are gone.

The concern I see is the expanding redness around the entire tattoo. That could indicate a blood infection. If it continues to expand outward, it could be very serious if not taken care of so antibiotics are the best bet. Redness around the ink lines is normal. A continuous red ring around the entire tattoo that is growing is not normal. Glad the doctor is giving you meds for it.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-08-2020).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

How long did you keep it covered?

As per the instructions of the woman who did the tattoo, a few hours. By now I've read in many places on the internet that is way too short.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11610 posts
Member since Jan 99
The doctor said it could be a problem caused by the fact I have no spleen.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock: The doctor said it could be a problem caused by the fact I have no spleen.

I think that would make you more vulnerable to infection. And a tattoo is a bunch of puncture wounds. So yeah.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah a few hours is way to short.

Were you washing it with a antibacterial soap each day (a couple times a day for the first few days)?
Were you using a product like Aquafore each day to moisten the skin and keep it from drying out?
Did you use a Tripleantibiotic on it or Bactracin?

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-09-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today:

Click to show
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11610 posts
Member since Jan 99

Originally posted by Khw:

Were you washing it with a antibacterial soap each day (a couple times a day for the first few days)?
Were you using a product like Aquafore each day to moisten the skin and keep it from drying out?
Did you use a Tripleantibiotic on it or Bactracin?

I was told to wash it three times a day with luke warm water, then gently dry it (no rubbing) then apply some moisturizer. I used a special moisturizer for new tattoos.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-10-2020 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I think that would make you more vulnerable to infection. And a tattoo is a bunch of puncture wounds. So yeah.

Yup.
You'll survive it, but I think the tattoo is a wash.
It'll probably never be what you envisioned or wanted.

I hope I'm wrong.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-10-2020).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Today:

Click to show

How old is this picture? It looks very dry. That is one thing all of the artists I dealt with said was to keep it moisturized.

I used A&D Healing Ointment several times a day, would wash a couple of times and every time I went to the restroom then apply more ointment. I did this for the first 2 weeks then I didn't need to wash it as much as the healing was going well but continues with the ointment for 4 weeks.
Perhaps that was a long time but they all look pretty good and I only had trouble with one healing and it was on my elbow
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is slowly turning into a tattoo disaster...

It now looks if the entire tattoo is being expelled by my body. At some points it has completely come loose...😔
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11610 posts
Member since Jan 99
As it looks now, this will eventually be just one big scar. It looks like my body is completely rejecting the tattoo. It has come loose at several places now. And I don't mean it's getting dimmer, I'm saying it comes loose as if someone has taken a knife and cut it out of my skin. 😞
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sounds horrible. Hopefully it heals okay, even if the tattoo doesn't survive
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At least you didn't get a sleeve
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2020 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Live and learn?
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2020 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Cliff, how is the tattoo healing?
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2020 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should have just taken the train.

But seriously... so sorry to see that, I'm sorry man.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2020 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Hey Cliff, how is the tattoo healing?

The dermatologist had never, ever seen something like this. He said it looks like a "foreign body rejection".

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2020 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

The dermatologist had never, ever seen something like this. He said it looks like a "foreign body rejection".

Yeah, that is absolutely crazy. But on the positive side... this could have been a lot worse...
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2020 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Click to show

Click to show
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2020 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe Cliff is an alien!
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2020 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is kind of crazy how your body is just rejecting the ink.
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2020 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was this a legit, licensed artist/shop? I’m thinking the ink manufacturer would be interested in knowing about this.

Google tells me tattoo rejection is often from the ink not being applied deep or heavy enough. Considering the poor aftercare instructions you got, sounds like an amateur tattoo artist. But Google is guessing lol

[This message has been edited by WBailey1041 (edited 07-25-2020).]

WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2020 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WBailey1041

2424 posts
Member since Dec 2003
Was this a legit, licensed artist/shop? I’m thinking the ink manufacturer would be interested in knowing about this.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2020 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn..beginning to look as if you have a parasitic worm under your skin....
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-27-2020 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Damn..beginning to look as if you have a parasitic worm under your skin....

Yup.
Whatever the ink was, it's being rejected.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock