Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Why Are 6TB Internal Hard Drives More Expensive Than 6TB External Hard Drives? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Why Are 6TB Internal Hard Drives More Expensive Than 6TB External Hard Drives? by Boondawg
Started on: 12-05-2018 05:34 PM
Replies: 40 (723 views)
Last post by: Boondawg on 01-22-2019 08:08 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post12-05-2018 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I mean, the externals have the added cost of the enclosure & power supply, right?
But inside, isn't it the same hard drive?
And with the internal, it requires quite a bit more work to get it up & running.

Is it that the internal is a more "bulletproof", longer lifespan, etc. hard drive?
Because the external seems to be incredibly portable/convenient.
Shouldn't convenience/dummy proof cost more?

Why isn't the internal cheaper?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well a lot of times you don't know what brand or type hard drive is in the external enclosure.
That said I had a 8 TB external drive and when it stopped working I took it apart (it was huge) and it had 4 hard drives and used some kind of striping to make it the full usable size.
I removed the drives and repurposed them in several PCs and they worked fine. They were not as fast as the internal drives but they were large disks.
I suspect that the board died due to heat.

Edit
Also some external drives have boards that disable the ability to install them as internals. I have also ran into that. They all have the same drive ID and are not recognized by the PC. This could also explain the price difference.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 12-05-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I mean, the externals have the added cost of the enclosure & power supply, right?
But inside, isn't it the same hard drive?
And with the internal, it requires quite a bit more work to get it up & running.

Is it that the internal is a more "bulletproof", longer lifespan, etc. hard drive?
Because the external seems to be incredibly portable/convenient.
Shouldn't convenience/dummy proof cost more?

Why isn't the internal cheaper?
Often no to many point here.
May look same inside external drives but often have different speeds and electronics.
Even 2.5" drives are different in external units. Many have boards directly plug into USB 2 or 3 so don't need a board to put SATA Drive on USB. They made far less of these vs laptop internal units and that can affect drive price even before adding just a case. Most small USB haven't had PSU in years because USB 2 and 3 provides enough power.

internal drives have many features as external units too like parking the heads on ramps off the disk(s) completely, not on the disk(s) as old drives did.

Internal drives have different Warranties that affect the price.
Example: WD Blue is cheaper then WD Black or Red partly for this reason. Blue drives often have less cache, slower spin speed, slower head access time and not programed to work in NAS/Servers w/ RAID. Basically, Blue is cheap for most consumer systems. Black is for "prosumer" types needs higher performance and NAS uses. Red is Enterprise level for Business Servers etc. Red drives are made to spin at full power (often spin @ 10,000+ RPM) 24/7/365 for many years unlike most Blue and Black drives will park and shut down to save power to meet EPA Energy Star etc. (Is/was WD Green w/ slower spin speed to save even more power. Green 3.5" spin at 5400rpm or less.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-05-2018).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-05-2018 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
Often no to many point here.
May look same inside external drives but often have different speeds and electronics.
Even 2.5" drives are different in external units. Many have boards directly plug into USB 2 or 3 so don't need a board to put SATA Drive on USB. They made far less of these vs laptop internal units and that can affect drive price even before adding just a case. Most small USB haven't had PSU in years because USB 2 and 3 provides enough power.

internal drives have many features as external units too like parking the heads on ramps off the disk(s) completely, not on the disk(s) as old drives did.

Internal drives have different Warranties that affect the price.
Example: WD Blue is cheaper then WD Black or Red partly for this reason. Blue drives often have less cache, slower spin speed, slower head access time and not programed to work in NAS/Servers w/ RAID. Basically, Blue is cheap for most consumer systems. Black is for "prosumer" types needs higher performance and NAS uses. Red is Enterprise level for Business Servers etc. Red drives are made to spin at full power 24/7/365 for many years unlike most Blue and Black drives will park and shut down to save power to meet EPA Energy Star etc. (Is/was WD Green w/ slower spin speed to save even more power. Green 3.5" spin at 5400rpm or less.)

Man, I was so hoping you would respond!
Have appreciated your insight for years!

Thanx!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 12-05-2018).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-05-2018 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
I see "Surveillance", "Storage", "Enterprise", etc., drives.
I want to store movies indefinitely, and view occasionally.
Do you have a recommendation for what is best for long-term storage with occasional viewing?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WD Green and others will do that...
Green drives are good for second drives for most users because doesn't eat much power or make heat even at full speed. Even then Most of time most "data drives" on a PC goes to sleep and stay off and only the "C" drive stays on most of time. Even C drive often go to sleep when not use the PC even if PC never sleeps etc. (I have 5 drives in the PC and 4 are sleeping most of time.)

Playing movies music and other things doesn't need a fast spin drive.
Even movies on DVD and Bluray, the player spins slow watching the movie vs high speed to use the menu or access data on it in a PC.

Don't bother using SSD. Movies Music and even Pictures can fill any disk you have and doesn't need high speed to play/view. Even old drives w/ old SATA 1 and 2 are fast enough to store those. (Newer cameras easily eat 5MB and more per pic depending on camera settings.) Heck... Most Old "IDE" (PATA) drives are fast enough but new MoBo don't have ports to run them.

If you what permanent storage. Need a backup plan or two... Most HD last for years, many even decades, but any HD or SSD can fail in the blink of a eye.
I have a simple NAS w/ 1 drive (Example: WD's "My Cloud" drives) and USB3 unit to make two copies of important data.
Most USB3 drives work work on USB2 ports but slow down because of power and data speed.
I don't bother using software to auto backup everything. I just have copies for My Doc's etc and even then don't backup crap that won't use again.

Note that All PC hardware likes cooling Not just the CPU and others w/ heat sinks. What to kill a disk? Then run them over 120°F. Even higher the disk will work but often have a very short life.
Every internal disk has SMART and report Drive Temp. Access temp report thru many tools like free hwmonitor. Most External Drive may have SMART too but maybe hidden by hardware etc so may not show in monitor software. (Try plugging in external units before running monitors.)
In my PC have front fans and 1 blows thru the HD bays... I never see above 110°F on a drive. Right now Max is 90° but room is 60's°F

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-06-2018).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2018 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used many different things over the years, but the “best” experience I have had is our current network storage solution- the Drobo.

Just put drives in, turn it on, install the software, let it update its firmware, create a few shares, assign permissions, Toss data onto it, and rest easy. It’s great for those who don’t know how to set up a raid or are tired of one part failing or not working as it should with the other hardware. Or their controller board dies due to heat issues.

I’ve dealt with several different companies’ NAS, and almost all of them had one major issue or another- the main one is that each would work great until it hit the wall- “oops, you can only have 2000 directories “ or the permissions would get screwed up, or the shares would “go away”, the device would drop off the network, or other seriously annoying issues.

The Drobo has been solid, the others I have used at various jobs have been solid for years. There was one low-end model which I believe had issues, not sure.

I’m tremendously happy with it- the WD offerings have been HUGE dissapointments, just awful. “Want to bring them to a field with a baseball bat office space” awful. the other ones were so bad, I don’t even remember their names at this point.

I’m sure they are issues with Drobo , but I have yet to experience them.

The dashboard’s great.

(Hope I never re-visit this thread with a “OMG, Drobo is “the suck”! “ update!)
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-07-2018 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

I have used many different things over the years, but the “best” experience I have had is our current network storage solution- the Drobo.

Man, how I want one!
This really is the way to go!

Old drives (I have a closet full of old archived keepers) can be plugged in with the new drives.
It spreads it across the newer drives in the enclosure, so when that old drive fails, you still have the original image for retrieval.
Lots of benefits to this setup!

Can I afford it?
Nope.

But worth every dang penny in my opinion!
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2018 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just grab first example above.
I have an older WD My Book NAS and no problems. I never bothered w/ streaming from it much but seems to work ok w/ factory install streaming.

Most times my NAS in on w/ drive asleep and be that for years now. Might wake up 1 - 2 times a month.

Many times all Windows PC have issues w/ net shares except from full Win Servers.
Like many would share a drive etc from any version Windows then let share machine go to sleep and never get a clue why share cause problems on other machines or worse have Word and others open and loose data because share machine is asleep or off.

Plus Most NAS Printers etc have DHCP and many problems for it. DHCP w/o Revering the IP then Servers Printer and everything else can get a new address w/o warning and all Windows PC often barfs on that. Most SoHo routers have a way to use DHCP Reservation but every router has it's own Admin interface so hard to say how to do in general terms.
Nice thing w/ DHCP Reservation is you don't need a static IP setup in each net printer etc.

What? Why?
Nutshell version...
Mainly because Most Devices have Host Names but you don't have local way to manage that... IOW No Local DNS (or even WINs) on HoSo nets because Most, if not All, SoHo routers just passes DNS from you ISP and don't add local machines.
Many devices have UPnP on the local net but often doesn't work. Many Admins have UPnP disabled on everything they can because often doesn't work and big security problem too.
So Windows and others have a hard time match Host Names to IP locally and if a device changes IP for any reason, many clients won't look and just flip an error.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2018 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have some fun and learn along the way! Build your own file server using Linux, RAID, DNSmasq and Samba.

Then, one day you will look back and say, "Why do I even need Windoze?"

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 12-07-2018).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-07-2018 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Colors:

WD Black = Speed/high end use, extended warranty.
WD Blue = General use.
WD Green = Energy saving for backups or other less frequent use.
WD Red = Some energy saving, continual use, extended warranty, ideal for RAID.
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2018 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Man, how I want one!
This really is the way to go!

Old drives (I have a closet full of old archived keepers) can be plugged in with the new drives.
It spreads it across the newer drives in the enclosure, so when that old drive fails, you still have the original image for retrieval.
Lots of benefits to this setup!

Can I afford it?
Nope.

But worth every dang penny in my opinion!

THAT'S why I love it - I currently have a few dependable drives in there and I've been going though dozens of old drives and just been slurping them into an "unsorted" folder (subfolders: Drive 1, Drive 2, drive 3, etc.) Then I move the data where it belongs and can finally breate a bit easier.
Also I can share the family photo album as "read only" and not hafta worry that things will get deleted...

It's cool to build and run your own NAS, but that's not where I am right now. I've done that kinda stuff... Done a bunch of those silly things... for now I just need my data reliably copied over and *slowly* organized. Then maybe...more with the silly things...

edit: Wheeeeeee!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-08-2018 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

THAT'S why I love it -
Wheeeeeee!

Ebay has some of the older models for about half the price of the new ones...
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2018 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ebay has some of the older models for about half the price of the new ones...

I would consider the number of drives you currently have(and how many you want to use in the Drobo), and roughly how much storage you want, and check the web for folks reviews/ complaints. You don’t want to spend a few hundred dollars and then discover your Drobo doesn’t work with the newer dashboard versions or something. Also, might not want used hardware to be keeping important data safe.

I have the DN2, the 5 drive version. I bought it at Microcenter and price matched it to Amazon, and had a 5 buck coupon.

had a few drives that were partitioned funky, so I wiped them cia an external prior to inserting them in the Drobo.

I would stick with a new one, I have several flaky old NASes, and wouldn’t want to sell them...

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-08-2018 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also, might not want used hardware to be keeping important data safe.
I would stick with a new one...

I agree.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-08-2018 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
The best I could do on a budget:

It's the older (2nd generation) 4-bay.
Considerably slower than the currant 5-bay, but the price was just right for.....exploration.

Asking price: $125
Agreed on selling price of $65.
10 minutes away.

Bonus: Anticipated free lifetime Tech Support courtesy of TheDigitalAlchemist!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-09-2018 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got it, but unfortunately, the company/manufacturer doesn't support this "Legacy" product.
For the DRO4D-D, no dashboard, no firmware updates, no nothing.
Even the website links to this model flashes the website homepage, then disappears.

I've been able to gather some assorted files & miscellaneous software, but it's hit or miss on whether any of it'll work.
Might have just wasted $65 bucks...

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 12-09-2018).]

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2018 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you tried www.oldversion.com while its for old software, maybe what you seek is there.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-10-2018 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

Have you tried www.oldversion.com while its for old software, maybe what you seek is there.

Thanks, but nothing.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2018 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have any more info regarding the exact model you have?

Is it a direct USB or a network connection?

------------------------

You have reached the cached page for http://drobospace.com/forum...hread.php?tid=145015
Below is a snapshot of the Web page as it appeared on 6/25/2018 (the last time our crawler visited it). This is the version of the page that was used for ranking your search results. The page may have changed since we last cached it. To see what might have changed (without the highlights), go to the current page.
You searched for: dro4d-d dashboard version We have highlighted matching words that appear in the page below.
Bing is not responsible for the content of this page.

Model DRO4D-D - Printable Version

+- Drobo Forums (http://www.drobospace.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Drobo (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Drobo (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Model DRO4D-D (/showthread.php?tid=145015)

Model DRO4D-D - bill@longhauser.com - 10-19-2015 08:50 PM

Hello,

I am trying to find a user manual for this model and have an account now and the device is registered. But it looks like nothing at all is available anymore. Any suggestions for accessing the needed support documentation and software? Thanks!

Actually I can be more specific -- I just want to reset this Gen 2 Drobo to factory with RAID 5. And update firmware/format. All data is backed up elsewhere. So basically I want to wipe it and bring it to a current version blank state.

Thanks all!

RE: Model DRO4D-D - don - 10-20-2015 12:22 AM

If the rear of the unit has 2x Firewire 800 port, and 1x USB 2.0 port.. then is a Drobo Gen2. This is a old model.

Older Drobo model Dashboard and Firmware can be downloaded from this link.
http://www.drobo.com/legacy-products-downloads/

Drobo Gen2 firmware v1.4.2, Dashboard v2.6.4

Performing a RESET on the Drobo will basically reset it to factory default (fresh start) BUT do note that all existing data will be WIPE-OUT! So be sure to back-up any existing data.

You can perform a PIN-Hole reset following the steps listed here:

How can I clear all my data off my Drobo storage device and start anew?
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01424

RE: Model DRO4D-D - bill@longhauser.com - 10-20-2015 10:17 AM

Thank you Don -- much appreciated!

(10-20-2015 12:22 AM)don Wrote: If the rear of the unit has 2x Firewire 800 port, and 1x USB 2.0 port.. then is a Drobo Gen2. This is a old model.

Older Drobo model Dashboard and Firmware can be downloaded from this link.
http://www.drobo.com/legacy-products-downloads/

Drobo Gen2 firmware v1.4.2, Dashboard v2.6.4

Performing a RESET on the Drobo will basically reset it to factory default (fresh start) BUT do note that all existing data will be WIPE-OUT! So be sure to back-up any existing data.

You can perform a PIN-Hole reset following the steps listed here:

How can I clear all my data off my Drobo storage device and start anew?
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01424
RE: Model DRO4D-D - don - 10-20-2015 08:19 PM

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-12-2018 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"If the rear of the unit has 2x Firewire 800 port, and 1x USB 2.0 port.. then is a Drobo Gen2. This is a old model."

That's me.

I have found a lot of the stuff you posted.
Still need to check out the firmware link you included, as I found a working Dashboard, just not a firmware update.
So this might just be the ticket!
Good stuff!
Thanx!

And once again, this serves as a valuable lesson to other consumers out there: What ever you buy, where ever you buy it, always choose TheDigitalAlchemist for all your free Technical Support needs!
Their motto: "In Your Service A Lifetime Is Never Enough!"

Thanx pal!
I ordered a proper power supply for it, as the other one seemed...sketchy.
Be here in 2 days.

I'll keep you posted.

I really want the Drobo 5N2.

$549.00 is not incredibly horrible.
$384.00 without the network connection (Drobo 5C).

The question is, does Santa think I am worthy of a spot on the good list...
I'm screwed.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 12-12-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2018 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That’s the one I recently got. I think the “dead” one I have is the one you currently have.

I tossed in a few 5T and 4T drives, (I have two-drive failure protection and about 12 T storage). I’ve been slowly sitting through old drives and tossing data around. I’ve been happy with it so far. It’s been working well.

I have a LOT of old data, some is precious, much is useless. Sort like what’s in my brain.

Ha

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2018 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have a LOT of old data, some is precious, much is useless. Sort like what’s in my brain.

Some of mine is video of every musical guest to appear on the 1972-1980 TV show "The Midnight Special":

Argent
John Denver
Cass Elliot
Harry Chapin
David Clayton
The Everly Brothers
The Isley Brothers
Helen Reddy
Linda Ronstadt
War

Al Green
Alvin Lee
Anne Murray
The Association
Badfinger
The Bee Gees
Ben E. King
Billy Paul
Billy Preston
Black Oak Arkansas
Blood, Sweat & Tears
Bloodstone
Bo Diddley
Bobby Day
Bobby Darin
Bobby Womack
Brewer & Shipley
The Byrds
Canned Heat
Charlie Rich
Chubby Checker
The Coasters
Commander Cody
The Committee
Conway Twitty
Country Joe McDonald
The Crusaders
Curtis Mayfield
David Bowie
Del Shannon
The Del-Vikings
Dionne Warwick
Dobie Gray
The Doobie Brothers
Don McLean
The Doobie Brothers
Doug Kershaw
Dr. John
Earl Scruggs
Edgar Winter Group
Electric Light Orchestra
Fleetwood Mac
Focus
Foghat
Genesis
George Jones
Gladys Knight & the Pips
The Grass Roots
Harry Chapin
Helen Reddy
Henry Mancini
The Hollies
Hoyt Axton
Ike & Tina Turner
The Impressions
Jerry Lee Lewis
Jim Croce
Joe Walsh
Johnny Rivers
Johnny Mathis
Johnny Nash
Johnny Paycheck
Johnny Winter
Jose Feliciano
Kenny Rogers and The First Edition
King Crimson
King Harvest
Kris Kristofferson
Little Anthony & The Imperials
Linda Ronstadt
Loggins & Messina
Lou Rawls
Loretta Lynn
Mac Davis
Marty Robbins
Melissa Manchester
The Miracles
Monty Python
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
The O'Jays
Paul Anka
Paul Williams
Rare Earth
The Penguins
The Raspberries
Ray Charles
Rita Coolidge
Savoy Brown
Seals & Crofts
The Searchers
Sha Na Na
The Shirelles
Skeeter Davis
The Skyliners
Slade
The Spinners
Smokey Robinson
The Staple Singers
The Statler Brothers
Steely Dan
Steve Miller Band
The Stylistics
Tanya Tucker
Taj Mahal
Tammy Wynette
Todd Rundgren
Tom T. Hall
Tower of Power
T. Rex
War
Waylon Jennings
Wilson Pickett
Wishbone Ash
Vicki Lawrence

Aerosmith
Barry White
Bill Withers
Bonnie Tyler
Brownsville Station
Charlie Rich
Chic
Curtis Mayfield
David Essex
Dobie Gray
Eddie Kendricks
Edgar Winter Group
Edwin Starr
Freddie Prinze
Genesis
Gladys Knight
B.B. King
Gladys Knight & the Pips
Golden Earring
Gordon Lightfoot
The Guess Who
Hot Tuna
Humble Pie
Ike & Tina Turner
James Brown
Kool And The Gang
Leo Sayer
Loggins and Messina
Lynn Anderson
The Main Ingredient
Maria Muldaur
Marvin Gaye
Montrose
Neil Sedaka
The New York Dolls
The O'Jays
Ohio Players
Olivia Newton-John
The Spinners
Redbone
Robert Palmer
Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan
Sly & the Family Stone
The Stylistics
Todd Rundgren
War

ABBA
Aretha Franklin
Ray Charles
Barry Manilow
The Bee Gees
Captain & Tennille
Dolly Parton
Earth Wind and Fire
Electric Light Orchestra
Frankie Valli
Fleetwood Mac
Glen Campbell
Helen Reddy
The Hollies
KC and the Sunshine Band
KISS
Kraftwerk
Labelle
Leo Sayer
Linda Ronstadt
Minnie Riperton
Natalie Cole
Neil Sedaka
Ohio Players
Olivia Newton-John
Orleans
Peter Frampton
Rod Stewart
Roxy Music
Todd Rundgren

Aretha Franklin
Bill Haley & His Comets
Diana Ross - "Love Hangover"
Donna Summer
Electric Light Orchestra
Elton John
Electric Light Orchestra
England Dan and John Ford Coley
Eric Carmen
Fleetwood Mac
Gary Wright
George Benson
Heart
Helen Reddy
Hot Chocolate
Janis Ian
Joan Baez
LaBelle
Minnie Riperton
The Miracles
Michael Murphey
Peter Frampton
Ray Charles
Spinners
Starbuck
Tom Jones
Walter Murphy and The Big Apple Band

Andrew Gold
Andy Gibb
Bonnie Raitt
Bread
Dave Mason
Eddie Rabbit
Electric Light Orchestra
Emmylou Harris
The Emotions
James Brown
Jennifer Warnes
Johnny Rivers
Journey
Leo Sayer
Little Feat
Lou Rawls
Manfred Mann's Earth Band
Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Jr.
Marvin Gaye
Player
Sanford-Townsend Band
Thelma Houston
Van Morrison
Weather Report

AC/DC
Aerosmith
Ambrosia
Andy Gibb
Billy Preston
The Cars
Cheap Trick
Chic
Chuck Mangione
Crystal Gayle
Dan Hill
David Bowie
Dolly Parton
Donna Summer
Eddie Money
Electric Light Orchestra
The Emotions
Evelyn Champagne King
Exile
Four Tops
George Benson
Hall & Oates
KC and the Sunshine Band
Leo Sayer
Nick Lowe
Peaches & Herb
Player
REO Speedwagon
Rick James
Robert Palmer
Ronnie Montrose
Starland Vocal Band
Sylvester
Ted Nugent
The O'Jays
Sammy Hagar
Thin Lizzy
Todd Rundgren
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
The Trammps
Village People
Yvonne Elliman

Alice Cooper
Amii Stewart
The Babys
The Beach Boys
Bonnie Pointer
Blondie
The Cars
The Charlie Daniels Band
The Commodores
Crystal Gayle
Dolly Parton
Gloria Gaynor
Grace Jones
Journey
KC and the Sunshine Band
Minnie Riperton
Nick Gilder
Peaches & Herb
The Pointer Sisters
Rick James
Rupert Holmes
The Three Degrees
The Jacksons
Tina Turner
Todd Rundgren
Village People

America
Billy Preston
Christopher Cross
David Bowie
Eddie Rabbitt
Frankie Valli & Commodores
Gladys Knight & the Pips
Hall & Oates
Leo Sayer
Olivia Newton-John
Randy Jones
REO Speedwagon
Roy Orbison
The Spinners
Dr. Hook
Prince

Sxactly like this:

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2018 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I got taken (thanx Offerup).

Plugged in the brand new power supply, nothing.
No lit power light on the Drobo.

Look for a power switch on Drobo, nothing.
Read manual, sez it powers up when you plug it in.

Good connections, light on power supply dimly lit.
Unplug power supply from back of Drobo, light on power supply gets brighter.
Plug back in, gets dim.

Feels like a cooked board, to me.

Lol!
So much for Christmas.
That dudes naughty/nice list is a mo'fo'!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-17-2018 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Disassembled it.
The motherboard shows signs of a liquid spill at sometime in the past.
With the seller no where to be seen.

I could be pissed, but getting ripped off don't happen to me all that often.
C'est la vie.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-27-2018 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Disassembled it.
The motherboard shows signs of a liquid spill at sometime in the past.
With the seller no where to be seen.

I could be pissed, but getting ripped off don't happen to me all that often.
C'est la vie.

Saved by the bell!
I kept bidding (biding?) my time on Ebay until this showed up!:

So all told, I'm in for $107.98.
For 100% working, completely outdated (USB 2.0) hardware.

Who's the KING of this shizz!
WHOOP WHOOP!!

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2018 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That wonderful Wife of mine got me a late Christmas present based on the fact she knew I got ripped-off on that OfferUp deal!:

Seagate Expansion 8TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0

So I guess now I can decide if I want to archive to it as is, take it apart and hard mount it into my system, or use it hot-swappable in the Drobo).
"Shucking" the enclosure is pretty straight-forward.
The drive inside is probably a white label, but sometimes they've been known to be a Blue label!

A Video On How To Remove The Enclosure For Internal Use:

P.S. Before I even hook it up i've already used up a projected 6TB!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 12-31-2018).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-07-2019 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got the other one in, and everything is up and running!

Thanx for everything TDA!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 01-13-2019).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-08-2019 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those interested, some notes:

I tortured-tested this thing every way possible, and it held on to every bit of digital information I had stored on it.
I even did things the manufacturer said to never do*, and it still never failed to retain all the files it started with.

However, a note should be made about how it formats the hard drives.
I have a Thermaltake BlacX External Hard Drive Docking Station (I even have the windowed WD Raptor X 150 GB hard drive) that I have been using to switch between all the archive drives I have:

I wanted to see how the Drobo spread the files across the 3 drives (the Drobo Dashboard has no option to see the actual files, only the volume) so I plugged one of the drives into the BlacX.
Nothing happened.
Like the drive wasn't even there.

So, the only way to ever access the information stored on the Drobo drives, is with the Drobo.
You cannot just plug one (or all) of the drives into a computer and retrieve all the files you have stored on it through the Drobo.
Without the Drobo, all files are lost.

To get the drive back to where you can even use it in a computer, you need to plug it in to your computer (or docking station) and go to:

Click Start>Computer Management>Disk Management.

This will display all of your drives.
The new one should have a black bar above it instead of a blue one.
And it should be described as Unallocated.
Right-click that drive, select New Simple Volume, and follow the wizard.

You now have your drive back.

* I pulled drives while it was in "protected mode" transferring files, I killed power mid-transfer, I even purposely blue-screened the computer mid-transfer.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 01-08-2019).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2019 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let the storage begin!

3 X Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Hard Drives*:

Very fast drives, not ideal for storage (more for gaming), but they are the newest from what I have available.
I'm going to run these in the Drobo and then use it as a movie server.

My computer OS will run off of my internal 120GB SSD, my productivity programs will run off my internal 1TB drive, & my gaming & music will run off my internal 2TB drive.
And the 9TB Drobo will keep my movie collection nice & safe!

And then everything will be archived (and regularly updated) to the Seagate 8TB Expansion external hard drive and powered down, as a redundancy.

I would say "I ain't never gonna' need any more storage space in my lifetime.", but I already said that when I got my first 40MB hard drive some years back!

* 9TB total is more space than I need, but not all of the space is usable, as part of it is reserved for automatic data protection in case a drive fails:

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 01-09-2019).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-10-2019 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the "Seagate Expansion 8TB Desktop External Hard Drive" up and running.
Actually, I got the "Seagate Expansion 7.27TB Desktop External Hard Drive" up and running.

I knew there would be a slight discrepancy, but dang!!

I guess the bigger the drive, the bigger the discrepancy.
Here's to laughter being the best medicine!

PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Got the "Seagate Expansion 8TB Desktop External Hard Drive" up and running.
Actually, I got the "Seagate Expansion 7.27TB Desktop External Hard Drive" up and running.

I knew there would be a slight discrepancy, but dang!!

I guess the bigger the drive, the bigger the discrepancy.
Here's to laughter being the best medicine!

Yeah, that's nuts, right?

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2019 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got all my spare drives up & running:

Now just waiting on the 2 - 3TB Barracuda's to button 'er up!
ZCR1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2019 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZCR1Send a Private Message to ZCR1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol, just pop for a 5D optical data storage crystal…. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_xvUoHm9Ho
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2019 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ZCR1:

Lol, just pop for a 5D optical data storage crystal….

Cool stuff!
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2019 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If C: drive is SSD... Being tight on free space can hurt life time and performance sooner.
SSD is not like HD that doesn't care about writing to same areas millions of times.
SSD uses all Free Space to Wear Level all data written to it. Example: You have a Doc you edit often then SSD often saves that to any Free Space, Not the same sectors like old HD.

Worse is C: drive gets Thousands to Millions of Temp Files written then deleted even few hours as you browse the internet etc. Deleted file's space is Not available right after on an SSD.
Wear Leveling, Over Provisioning ("Spare" memory hidden from OS or you) and Trim helps but SSD memory "sectors" will still die sooner w/o a lot of Free Space.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2019 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

If C: drive is SSD... Being tight on free space can hurt life time and performance sooner.
SSD is not like HD that doesn't care about writing to same areas millions of times.
SSD uses all Free Space to Wear Level all data written to it. Example: You have a Doc you edit often then SSD often saves that to any Free Space, Not the same sectors like old HD.

Worse is C: drive gets Thousands to Millions of Temp Files written then deleted even few hours as you browse the internet etc. Deleted file's space is Not available right after on an SSD.
Wear Leveling, Over Provisioning ("Spare" memory hidden from OS or you) and Trim helps but SSD memory "sectors" will still die sooner w/o a lot of Free Space.

Great information!
Thanx!

I think I need to in stall a new, larger, boot SSD.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2019 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The new digital file storage system is finished.
How it all panned out:

All nice & tidy!

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That’s awesome! Glad it worked out for ya
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn, dude! Dawg's Drobo disks are dedicated to a daunting deluge of data.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock