Started on: 10-07-2018 05:02 PM
Replies: 13 (248 views)
Last post by: FriendGregory on 11-30-2018 07:11 PM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2018 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After I move (no more than a couple of months), I'm thinking about replacing my desktop and older (but decent) laptop w/a single, higher end laptop. This needs to work as a desktop replacement. It needs to be compatible w/some sort of quick connect dock (similar to this). I want to be able to plug in 2 monitors, k/b, mouse, hot swap dock and/or external HDDs/SSDs, etc and be able to just pop the laptop out when I want to take it w/me.

I don't game but I DO want something fairly powerful so I don't feel the need to upgrade every year. A larger, higher res screen would be preferable (4K is NOT necessary). I need to be able to upgrade the HDD/SSD and RAM. I'd prefer a "name brand" as they tend to have more backing than the off brands. A fast processor is also a must although I'm not picky about brand. Both Intel and AMD have their pros and cons. I'll probably run Win7 or 10, if it matters. Since it will run 2 monitors, a dedicated GPU is probably a plus although I might be able to get by w/o it. (I'll watch quite a bit of HD (but NOT 4K) video (TV/movies) on my monitors.) Quality or availability of a web cam means nothing. DVD burner is also a must. Plenty of USB 3 ports are also a plus.

I don't need a top of the line, $3000 laptop. Gently used is fine. I'd like to spend less than $1000, if possible including a dock and decent specs.

The last laptop I bought was used from a wonderful member here. It's worked well but it's time to upgrade. If anybody has a laptop that would meet my needs they want to sell, PM me. If not, what brands and/or models would you guys suggest?

Thanks, guys/gals.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2018 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run my gaming laptop like you describe, but found a docking station isn't needed. Just an extra charger.

I keep it on a shelf to the left of my desk, and HDMI, keyboard, mouse, printer, and power cables are run thru an adell clamp on the side of the shelf to keep them handy and where I need them. It takes me less than 30 seconds to plug everything in, or unplug and grab it when I want to go with it.

Spare charger stays in the laptop bag so I always have it on the go.

BTW, I wouldnt go smaller than a 32" for a gaming monitor. I've got a 40" Samsung smart TV I picked up at a pawn shop, and once you play on a big screen you will thank yourself for getting it.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 10-07-2018).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2018 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, MEM. I don't game unless you count things like Tetris. I've got a couple of 24" monitors. Once they die, I'll find another pair of 24" (or larger) monitors that are on sale. I have no need for extra large monitors. I'd prefer a dock although I wouldn't rule out a laptop w/o one for the right price/specs.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2018 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally moving next weekend and still looking for a good laptop.

Anybody have what I'm looking for to sell?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2018 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you ever checked out a place called Tiger Direct?

I have bought a few things from them over the years and never had a problem. They have some good deals on a regular basis, you just have to keep looking in often to catch them.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2018 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I've looked there as well as Newegg. I'm thinking I can get a better deal buying used.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2018 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some nice off-lease stuff here, but you can probably find something closer.

https://www.fcsurplus.ca/sh...price=&searchfields=
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Thanks. I've looked there as well as Newegg. I'm thinking I can get a better deal buying used.

I found a Lenovo at a pawn shop that has a ton of software and applications. It is a high end laptop and I like it. It cost $325 and has 16gb memory, a large HD, a ton of ports I'll never use and a couple apps I have fun with. Maybe I am lucky. I drove 60 miles to Springfield, OR to get it but I think it was worth it. I still like my Dell, though.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hadn't thought about a pawn shop. Good idea.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing local yet. Anybody have what I'm looking at for sale?
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep in mind, maney of the new laptops have no CD\DVD drive, but an external USB DVD drive can be used. Always check the weight of the laptop...some are freaking heavy. Alianware has good rateings, its peomoted as a gameing laptop, even though your probubley not going to use it for gameing

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 11-29-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Mr. Bond. I'm not worried about a CD/DVD drive. As little as I would use one, an external would work well. I'll see if I can find some used Alienwares.

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

Keep in mind, maney of the new laptops have no CD\DVD drive, but an external USB DVD drive can be used. Always check the weight of the laptop...some are freaking heavy. Alianware has good rateings, its peomoted as a gameing laptop, even though your probubley not going to use it for gameing

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive had good luck with 17" Gateway/Acer laptops. Im still using the original battery from like 6 years ago in one. Another one died this past summer that was 10+ years old. Motherboard went out. Your going to laugh, but I started years ago only buying laptops on Home Shopping Channel. The ones ive gotten were half of the stores prices, came with other benefits like 5 years support, 2 year warranties, and $1000+ dollars of pre loaded software programs...most of which I actually even use. I wont even consider buying one in a store anymore. Go to HSN.com and just look...cant hurt. While on live tv, even those prices are substantially reduced.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever you get, a touch screen is something I love. Looking at something on a laptop and deciding I want a better view, boom, there it is.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock