Started on: 07-11-2018 06:28 PM
Replies: 33 (664 views)
Last post by: FriendGregory on 04-02-2019 07:44 PM
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am building a house and I am the general, so I am the owner/builder. As of right now I plan to frame it, trim it, maybe other things like the stone but not sure right now. You are allowed to general your own house, but banks won't really like to loan you money to do it, I only found two and the one I used (Zion's) is making me jump through a lot of hoops to do it.

So it's being built in Tremonton, UT. I bought the land about a year ago. It's .43 of an acre and it's on the side of a mountain with a view of the city (awesome at night) and the mountain range beyond. I'll get pics up one day. I want to get into the "costs" of buying the land. I think it was around $4,000 for fees and closing costs, I'll have to look if I find time (I should be able to find time, working two jobs, building this house and three kids, right?).

I'll continue to update this if there's any interest. But I must say that generaling your own house can save you a ton of money (I think I will save around $50,000 between me being the general and doing the framing, trim and anything else I dare try). But I also have 17 years experience framing with a few years of that doing trim and hardwood floors. My bank will give me a construction loan with me as the general only because I used to have a B100 general contractors license and I have 17 years experience, plus I work part time for a builder.

Costs so far:
The lot: $33,000
Plans: 2,650
Permit, plan review, Inspections: 8,620
Staking for foundation: 650
Excavation: 10,450

Right now I am in the process of getting my construction loan and will update as I go.

Today I am also meeting the excavator at the lot in hopes he can dig it soon.

[This message has been edited by SCCA FIERO (edited 07-11-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice. Plenty of pictures if you can.
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My wife and I served as the general contractor thirty years ago in the house we are currently in. (Just paid off the mortgage on July 1st.) We had the basement foundation, framing, heat/AC, and plumbing done. The rest we participated in with a lot of sweat equity. Total of 2646 sq. ft. on a heavily wooded 6/10 of an acre lot.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing photos and progress.

Jeff
SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Talked to the excavator and he's pretty worried about the dry weeds in my lot and across the side of the mountain. My lot has a lot of huge rocks buried in it. I'm gonna ask my two neighbors if we can use hoses to water it down for a bit before we start digging, which will be late next week.

Trying to get some pics loaded.

Excavator locked in, but he's not too happy with the people I have staking it out, so I'll see what I can do about that.
Here's a link to my land until I figure out pics. https://www.movoto.com/trem...t-84337-511_1350930/

Excavator: $10,450 doesn't include gravel.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the plan, LOOK AT THAT GARAGE
SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I'm thinking about moving the pantry over by the door from the laundry because I need that space
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope it does not take up the space for the 2 post lift LOL
SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope I can afford a lift when it's done! I'm having the concrete poured thicker where the posts for the lift will be. Note the gas heater in the corner too.

This deck will have a nice view. I have to get a pic at night when the town is lit up.

9' basement, 9' main level walls, 12' tall walls through the foyer and living area.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did I never notice you being in Ogden?
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, amazing
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice plan! Don't care what you do, within six months of completion, you will wish you had done something differently.
Been there, done that.

You're embarking on an excellent adventure, enjoy the journey....

Edited: Just remember this, as you age, you will come to hate stairs. There are exception but, few and far between. Best wishes.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 07-12-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
Mytime

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wife and I did the same thing in '95. 2800 square feet on 2.5 acres here in Md. I was the general, and my brother, brother in law, and step dad were the crew. I had no previous homebuilding experience and the hoops I had to jump through were incredible but I believe necessary. We did the blockwork, concrete, framing, roofing and all finish work. Took approx. 1 year. The only thing subbed out was the electric, plumbing and hvac. Three kids but only one job though. I had always heard horror stories about inspectors but they were a big help in getting it done right. It's still standing and we just paid it off this month. Good luck to you and your family on the adventure.
BTW, the garage is never big enough!
Doug
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:Edited: Just remember this, as you age, you will come to hate stairs.

I so agree. Make sure that you can figure a way to live there on one level only, maximum of a step you can ramp at some point. Even if just to can for some elderly family at some point.
My knees hurt at least slight, always at 52.

Neat plan you have worked out. My preference is to have the kitchen open to the main visiting room. Not really felt a desire for a living room but, it could be anything like a home office or, the library where visiting can be done more privately from the main family room.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FriendGregory

4833 posts
Member since Jan 2004
Does it cool off at night? A whole house fan that sucks the heat through the windows to the crawl space in the attic works very well.
We put ceiling fans in many areas of my house and can weather the temperatures much higher in comfort. You can do cheap ones and just make sure the support and wiring is there for now. One of the ones I got in my house is 10 times as expensive as one I put in my rental but, it is cool and I can afford it.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2018 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCA FIERO:

I hope I can afford a lift when it's done! I'm having the concrete poured thicker where the posts for the lift will be. Note the gas heater in the corner too.

This deck will have a nice view. I have to get a pic at night when the town is lit up.

9' basement, 9' main level walls, 12' tall walls through the foyer and living area.

If you plan on installing a lift, think about the ceiling height required to install one in. My shop ceiling is at 12 feet.
Build accordingly.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 07-13-2018).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2018 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol... "STORAGE"

… another word for... "Massive workshop for cars and a place to have a car lift, work benches, and a plethora of tools spread about."
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love these threads as it's something I want to do myself... Though I now hopefully have the sense to admit I probably never will be able to. (Lack of skills, drive, Money, talent....)

Brad
Fats

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fats

5567 posts
Member since Jan 2012

Is it secluded enough to put a few windows on the back of the Garage? That would add the view to the garage, and free lighting during the day.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

Is it secluded enough to put a few windows on the back of the Garage? That would add the view to the garage, and free lighting during the day.

I concur with this assessment.
SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am adding a window at the back for air flow. The windows will also open up because I have a window AC unit from my old house that might come in handy in the summer even though the garage is on the shady side of the house, because of the views. Also, the window in the pantry will not be there, they charge $90 an hour to make changes to the plans. That was a bathroom.

I have already hit a snag. Work won't start until the construction loan closes.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am adding a window at the back for air flow. The windows will also open up because I have a window AC unit from my old house that might come in handy in the summer even though the garage is on the shady side of the house, because of the views. Also, the window in the pantry will not be there, they charge $90 an hour to make changes to the plans. That was a bathroom.

I have already hit a snag. Work won't start until the construction loan closes.

I don't know if you plan to control the temp/environment with AC/Heat I your garage area but if not, consider some type of ventilation system to draw fumes out of your garage. Personally, my shop uses three squirrel cage blowers that suck air out of the shop. The kind you find in whole house heat/AC systems. I have no ventilation issues.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 07-14-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a basement garage that is about 2300 square feet. I ended up installing a full blown HVAC system and am very happy with the result. The system was not in the initial design, but two years later I was convinced that it was needed. I certainly is nice to work in a decent temperature when it is either blazing hot or freezing cold outside.

Nelson
SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wasn't much interest, but here it is ( it's a bit further along than this)

100% framed by me alone.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good!
That's a lot of work!
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-28-2019 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I like this kind of thing.

I have never framed a home myself. My grandfather did, and that has always been a dream of mine to follow. Thanks for posting.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats coming out awesome! I remodeled my lil place, but half of its new. Its lotsa work but its enjoyable

shem
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wasn't much interest, but here it is ( it's a bit further along than this)

100% framed by me alone.

Very cool. Looks great.
SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been an experience. Nobody else cut or nailed anything, but I did have help lifting some walls. Like this monster.

20' tall, almost 20' long.

Money shot!

Another money shot...

Right now I'm below budget enough I am trying to do radiant floors, which is around $28,000.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-29-2019 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I had to figure you had "some" help. But great for you to build it yourself.

I am betting that the code folks are pretty cool about the idea of you building it yourself. I always enjoy talking to them. And listening.
Fats

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2019 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm impressed.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2019 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it. A little close to the neighbors, but still, defendable, and plenty of windows with clear fields of fire.
PFF
System Bot
Fats

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2019 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I like it. A little close to the neighbors, but still, defendable, and plenty of windows with clear fields of fire.

Great, his first post here and Don already wants to set the fields on fire.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2019 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fields OF fire...not fields ON fire...
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2019 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCA FIERO:Wasn't much interest, but here it is ( it's a bit further along than this)

Hey, I have been waiting for your update. You have a lot to be proud of, looks like real good work. We will all give you hell if you do not finish but, sounded like you have some local family support to keep you on target.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock