Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Fossilized bones in New Zealand call to mind a Gary Larson 'The Far Side' cartoon.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fossilized bones in New Zealand call to mind a Gary Larson 'The Far Side' cartoon. by rinselberg
Started on: 01-01-2018 02:11 PM
Replies: 28 (458 views)
Last post by: starlightcoupe on 01-06-2018 12:46 AM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2018 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Call to MY mind, at any rate.

First, the cartoon:
Click to show

Now, the fossilized bones:
Click to show

Just the first day of 2018 and Pennock's Totally Off Topic has been Totally served.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 01-01-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2018 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2018 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are the charactors for the play that you proposed; Jimmy Stewart and a six foot New Zealand penguin.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2018 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19611 posts
Member since Mar 2009
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2018 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

https://liberaloutpost.com/...________-disability/

I am truly sorry, but I am an incredible sucker for boobs. So I clicked on one of the links on the side, and it brought me to a few good pictures that I have to share with my good buddies Tony and MEM:

This one: https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-...n-Carver-Yoga-15.jpg

This one: http://sit5618t8of1rfj6d8lv...loads/2014/06/57.jpg

And this one: http://spi1uk.itvnet.lv/upl...images/Foto-86-6.jpg

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2018 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"When the discovery of a freakishly large species of prehistoric penguin stirs partisan rhetoric, the prevailing news climate is best described as Political Maelstrom."
~ rinselberg (2018)

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 01-02-2018).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2018 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

"When the discovery of a freakishly large species of prehistoric penguin stirs partisan rhetoric, the prevailing news climate is best described as Political Maelstrom."
~ rinselberg (2018)

Well, the Harvey thing went nowhere, so I decided to go with a logical conclusion derived from Tony's post.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2018 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2018 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

spark1

11159 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by williegoat:

Well, the Harvey thing went nowhere, so I decided to go with a logical conclusion derived from Tony's post.

That's cause everyone knows that Harvey is a 6' rabbit.
PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2018 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

~ rinselberg (2018)

Now we understand why you plagiarize...
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2018 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

~ rinselberg (2018)

I looked, but there were no pictures of the fossils. Where should I go from here? Seems like comical comments would follow such a link? Any photographic evidence that we could look at?

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 01-02-2018).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2018 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I looked, but there were no pictures of the fossils. Where should I go from here? Seems like comical comments would follow such a link? Any photographic evidence that we could look at?

http://www.sci-news.com/pal...nu-biceae-05529.html

The partly prepared skeleton of Kumimanu biceae. The rectangles emphasize the humerus and a bone from the shoulder girdle (coracoid), which are shown separated from the original bone cluster. Image credit: Senckenberg Research Institute.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-02-2018).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2018 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:
I looked, but there were no pictures of the fossils. Where should I go from here? Seems like comical comments would follow such a link? Any photographic evidence that we coullook at?

New Zealand ?

You want bones, here's bones. Figure 1 and Figure 2 present photo images of some of the fossilized bones of Kumimanu biceae. The skeleton is anything BUT complete. These are Words of Wisdom from the researchers:

Determining the size of extinct penguins from fragmentary remains is not straightforward as different species may have different proportions8. That Kumimanu biceae, n. gen. et sp. was an exceptionally large bird is, however, clear from the fact that the major limb bones are distinctly larger than those of most known Sphenisciformes (Table 1). Even our conservative estimate of 185 mm for the minimum total length of the humerus of K. biceae exceeds the humerus length of almost all other giant penguin species. The maximum estimate of 228 mm, which is based on the humerus proportions of other Paleocene Sphenisciformes, is only surpassed by an estimate based on very large fossils from the late Eocene of Antarctica, which were assigned to Palaeeudyptes klekowskii14 (Table 1).

"A Paleocene penguin from New Zealand substantiates multiple origins of gigantism in fossil Sphenisciformes"
Gerald Mayr, R. Paul Scofield, Vanesa L. De Pietri & Alan J. D. Tennyson.
Nature Communications 8, Article number 1927; published online 12 Dec 2017.

One of the notable features of penguin evolution is the occurrence of very large species in the early Cenozoic, whose body size greatly exceeded that of the largest extant penguins. Here we describe a new giant species from the late Paleocene of New Zealand that documents the very early evolution of large body size in penguins. Kumimanu biceae, n. gen. et sp. is larger than all other fossil penguins that have substantial skeletal portions preserved. Several plesiomorphic features place the new species outside a clade including all post-Paleocene giant penguins. It is phylogenetically separated from giant Eocene and Oligocene penguin species by various smaller taxa, which indicates multiple origins of giant size in penguin evolution. That a penguin rivaling the largest previously known species existed in the Paleocene suggests that gigantism in penguins arose shortly after these birds became flightless divers. Our study therefore strengthens previous suggestions that the absence of very large penguins today is likely due to the Oligo-Miocene radiation of marine mammals.

The complete journal article, including Figure 1, Figure 2 and Table 1, is a proud resident of this fine Internet neighborhood:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-017-01959-6

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 01-03-2018).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bones, bones, shine in the darkness. Bones of our fathers, bones of our kings. By the flesh that once sheathed you, by the spirit that moved you, seek and find. Seek in the Icetime. Seek in the Suntime. Come to the Circle, gods of the Ice. Come to the Circle, come to the bones. Show, show, show what I seek. The bones, the bones, the bones are alive..!

Figure 1 has the BONES you seek.
https://www.nature.com/arti...17-01959-6/figures/1

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bones, bones, shine in the darkness. Bones of our fathers, bones of our kings. By the flesh that once sheathed you, by the spirit that moved you, seek and find. Seek in the Icetime. Seek in the Suntime. Come to the Circle, gods of the Ice. Come to the Circle, come to the bones. Show, show, show what I seek. The bones, the bones, the bones are alive..!

Seems the CA pot legalization is full effect.

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not me. I haven't ingested any THC. I guess that's even more disturbing news..?

Perhaps my metabolism automatically synthesizes it for me.

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

..............I haven't ingested any THC............

Or simply fake news.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you say that "I" am coming across any differently now, than I was before the new Cali recreational marijuana legalization became effective?
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-03-2018 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can you say that "I" ...

Dilly dilly indeed. Dilly dilly.

The reasons behind "Dillly Dilly".

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 01-03-2018).]

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can you say that "I" am coming across any differently now, than I was before the new Cali recreational marijuana legalization became effective?

Actually, yes.

For a while there you were almost lucid but your comments in this thread are way out there.

Shame really -

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Primitive mumbo jumbo.

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Primitive mumbo jumbo.

The "williegoat" knows my game here.

A joke shared between only two, it seems.

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The "williegoat" knows my game here.

A joke shared between only two, it seems.

Not a member of that VERY exclusive club but -

The term "mumbo jumbo" traces its roots to Africa.

Etymologists say the exact origin of the word is uncertain, but the Mandinka word "Maamajomboo," which referred to a masked male dancer who took part in religious ceremonies is often cited as the source of 'mumbo jumbo' in English.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary a clerk with the Royal African Company first used the phrase in 1738 in the book "Travels In The Interior Districts of Africa."

In the book, the clerk writes that the Mandinka practiced polygamy and that disputes between a husband and wife or between wives were resolved by the masked figure, who would chant and shriek outside the homes of the offenders before resolving the conflict.

Which actually DOES sound a bit like the modus operandi of some of the members here in O/T.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-03-2018).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another "clue" that was, from Glendale, AZ.

Earlier, I tried to download the video, which is about 20 minutes long--it's Part Four--from the "dailymotion" web site. I wanted to edit it down to a shorter video segment, and then put it up here, instead of that crazy text spiel that I put up about the "bones". That Primitive Mumbo Jumbo.

But it wasn't a No Brainer, so I had to abandon that idea.

If it were a YouTube video, I could have done it. Or at least, have provided an http-link that would have started the video and queued it to exactly the right moment.

starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Swahili word for hello is "Jambo" is with the "A" being pronounced as "ah." (Jahm-bo) Perhaps Jumbo is a Swahili word that means something. Or it could be linguistically related. Or maybe my drunken cousin got ticked off one night and invented a new Texas curse word. I took two years of Swahili at university and only remember one phrase: "Mah-moo-ah Mah-nah-ni." It means Nine Butterflies. That was time wasted. I was the only white guy in class but I had access to the Black Student Lounge--only at the University of Houston.

These four sentences were brought to you courtesy of a soon to be octogenarian who just drank three ounces of mead. Mmm Mmm Good. Just remembered the Swahili word for Thursday: Thay-lah-thini. I think the inventor of that word had a speech anomaly whatever that means. Maybe it is a Swahili word for impediment whatever that means. Happy New Year to all and happy birthday to me tomorrow. I lied. Five sentences, not four. Moving back to Texas soon.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock