Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Sea levels have risen 3 inches over the last 20 years. Debunking NASA's weird fantasy (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Sea levels have risen 3 inches over the last 20 years. Debunking NASA's weird fantasy by rinselberg
Started on: 12-06-2017 08:08 AM
Replies: 137 (2325 views)
Last post by: rinselberg on 12-19-2017 05:37 PM
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-17-2017 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We got 6 beautiful inches of snow on Friday. I did not see the snow until after 5 o'clock. I drove the Fiero without checking the weather. I am a dope.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 12-17-2017).]

IP: Logged
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2017 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here it is raining again and only 11 days after the last time. I'm going to call Algore and apologize for all the evil things I have said about him over the years.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2017 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Scientists estimate that the surrounding waters of the Chesapeake region have risen a foot in the past century. As global sea levels continue to climb, the bay water could grow 2 feet by 2050 and another 3 feet or more by 2100, models predict. At that point, Deal Island would be almost entirely submerged."

Ive seen nothing personally, photos, videos, etc to show that any of that is a fact. They say GLOBAL sea levels continue to climb, which indicates all sea levels worldwide are climbing, yet no physical proof of it rising ANYWHERE Ive seen. Theyre making theoretical MODELS of the future. Theyre talking about 2050 conditions when they cant even predict if it will or will not rain in 6 hours. Even areas like hurricanes, which travel on a tract that can be reasonably followed, are often off by hundreds of miles depending on their models...even up to hours before striking. Most recent example was the one headed right up the west coast of florida, predicted to strike straight into Tampa. I have friends who live there and all they got was some higher winds and some rain...certainly not the destructive hurricane they were supposed to get. They didnt get any flooding and didnt lose power at all. It amounted to just the normal heavy storm that passes thru all the time. Weather reporters said they were the bullseye for the hurricane only a few hours earlier. So much for prediction models. I can predict the sun is going to explode with the same certainty. According to what ive found online, most of Florida is 3-6 feet above sea level except in the panhandle. So using the Virginia estimates by 'scientists', most of Florida will also be under water by 2050. Im pretty confident thats not going to happen. Remember the rise, according the them, is worldwide...so if Chesapeake Bay is 3' higher so is Florida.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 12-17-2017).]

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2017 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Are you trying to change a Two Way Street into a One Way Street?

No I said, "maybe yes and maybe no", the epitome of waffling.

What I WAS trying to do was coach you on the fine art of writing less to say more.

Didn't work.

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2017 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

" As global sea levels continue to climb, the bay water could grow 2 feet by 2050 and another 3 feet or more by 2100, models predict."

"Unfortunately, the same models were unable to predict anything about this coming Fall."

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 12-17-2017).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2017 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Here it is raining again and only 11 days after the last time. I'm going to call Algore and apologize for all the evil things I have said about him over the years.

What does Al Gore have to do with rain?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2017 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

What does Al Gore have to do with rain?

Rising sea levels means more surface area. That, combined with warmer air means more moisture in the atmosphere, which translates to more rain. But, this is actually one mechanism the earth uses to maintain even temperatures.

I invoke the Algore, because he is the poster child of Doom and Gloom Climate change, but if truth be told, he has as much to do with climate as he does with the internet.

Mostly, I'm just being silly. Rain in the desert is an event worth talking about.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2017 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mostly, I'm just being silly. Rain in the desert is an event worth talking about.

Now it's mainly plain that you want to deny the rain in Spain.

Unless it's deserts in Spain and in that case, carry on.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 12-17-2017).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2017 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rising sea levels means more surface area. That, combined with warmer air means more moisture in the atmosphere, which translates to more rain. But, this is actually one mechanism the earth uses to maintain even temperatures.

I invoke the Algore, because he is the poster child of Doom and Gloom Climate change, but if truth be told, he has as much to do with climate as he does with the internet.

When I read this report about the researchers who are trying to quantify what they see as a linkage between a Cause--fatty acid emissions from cooking--and an Effect--cloud formation in the skies above London--I never thought of Al Gore. That is absolutely typical of me. I keep an eye out for news reports of scientific developments in general, and I have both of my eyes looking for any such reports that involve climate related research. But unless there is a direct reference to Al Gore, or maybe some reference to Carbon Trading schemes or Carbon Credits, I am not ever prompted by news reports of this kind to think about Al Gore, or even remember his name. It just doesn't happen.

So, why is that? Here are some Bullets:

. I never sat through either of his two global warming themed movies from beginning to end. I have seen some of the clips. But not very many.

. I do not consider Al Gore to have invented the idea of Global Warming.

. I do not consider Al Gore to have invented the idea of a link between human CO2 emissions and global warming. That was the subject of some rudimentary scientific research and experimentation, even before the year 1900.

. I have looked at some number of climate related research reports as they are published in peer-reviewed science journals. Not once have I seen any reference to Al Gore by name. Not even in the bibliography section that comes after the body of the report. I guess I have seen references to Carbon Trading Schemes, but even that does not prompt me to think of Al Gore at any length. Maybe for a moment.

. I have browsed some of the most frequently referenced such reports of this kind, from the United Nations sponsored Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change or IPCC, and I have not ever seen a reference to Al Gore. I have even searched at least one of these texts for Al Gore and I came up empty. Did they use his full name of Albert (Arnold) Gore, Jr, instead of Al Gore, and that is why my search came up empty? I have never had that thought before this moment. Even so, I can say with the utmost confidence that none of these reports puts any kind of spotlight on the name of Al Gore. If it were there in any significant way, I would have seen it.

So that's why I did not see Al Gore coming straight at me, right out of the box. It was like throwing the very first pitch of a baseball game, and having to duck a screaming liner, hit straight back up the middle. It was like being gang tackled on a draw play by the Patriots entire defensive line. I just wasn't ready for it.

I think there is something kind of off balance about the dialogue here from the First Responder. Wichita. Al Gore. Check. But what about the other side of this coin? Like maybe the CEOs and other top level managers at Exxon Mobil, Chevron... the big Petroleum people. Or moving over to Coal, the upper echelons at Peabody Energy, Arch Coal, Cloud Peak Energy and Alpha Natural Resources. The four largest U.S.-based coal mining companies. That's what Google is showing to me.

What about the Koch Brothers?

Al Gore is not the only Big Bucks player on the field in this matchup. There are some Big Bucks players wearing the opposite colored jerseys or the opposing team's uniforms, across the very same line of scrimmage. Maybe not as well known to most people as Al Gore. But I'm sure they are there.

I will not describe the scientific aspects of the Earth's climate as Settled Science, but I am of the opinion--because I have been persuaded--that there is enough evidence to make a Call. Enough evidence of the kind that is unlikely to be reversed or discarded by research that has not yet been completed, or has not yet been started, or even imagined at this moment. Enough evidence of the kind that has already been accepted by the leading scientists and research organizations, and has survived questioning and challenges for the last 10 years and in some cases, more than just the last 10 years.

So I do see the idea of trying to reduce the emission of CO2 and other greenhouse gases from human activities as a good thing.

I can offer Wichita some credit in the category of comedy or political satire category, for the idea of Al Gore getting his panties in a wad about this news report, which implies that cooking or frying foods using vegetable oil or any of its equivalents, encourages cloud formation, which is considered to have a cooling effect, overall, on the Earth's climate. So, to me, a joke, but a joke that doesn't ring true. I have no particular animus towards Al Gore.

So I think that explains why it was that when I saw Al Gore, from Wichita, I decided to fire back with Hillary Clinton, and that year 2044 Republican Party Political Necromancy remark.

It's Action (Wichita) and Reaction (me). Which is fairly common, as these Off Topic conversations typically go.

When I fired back with Hillary Clinton, I was thinking Uranium One. It's my opinion, based on what I have read In Main Stream Mediaville, and what I have viewed in Cable TV Land--outside of the Fox or Trump Channel News Bubble--that there are no provable criminal violations against Hillary Clinton, with regards to the Uranium One story.

Were there Ethical transgressions that did not literally violate any criminal statute or code? Maybe. I am skeptical even of that, but I think the idea of a Special Prosecutor to investigate on Uranium One, with an eye to any kind of indictment of Hillary Clinton, is a Fool's Errand. Just a political ploy.

I think if the Trump administration had any serious interest in what may have been wrong, before and during Hillary Clinton's tenure as Secretary of State, and with the Clinton Foundation, we would be hearing and reading about Institutional Reforms, instead of a prosecutorial Witch Hunt to try to indict or ensnare the Old Witch herself, Hillary Rodham Clinton.

What are Institutional Reforms? Maybe there should be stricter rules about who can be submitted as a candidate for Congressional approval as a new Secretary of State. Maybe there needs to be some Guidelines for the POTUS and for Congress that say something like "A candidate for Secretary of State cannot have served in any executive capacity for any donor-dependent organization (like the Clinton Foundation) during the two years before present." Something like that. I would call that an Institutional Reform.

I thought about plagiarizing it but couldn't bring myself to do it.
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2017 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plagiarism? Ah, so you're going back here again.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/121724.html#p35

This was my response.

I did not forget to link the article that I "plagiarized." I purposely omitted the link. It was a departure from my longstanding custom, which has been to only duplicate part of any article that I want to highlight, and then give the link for anyone who wants to have the entire article at their disposal.

Neither did I "plagiarize." The column that I duplicated has its proper citation at the very end, by title, venue (NYT) and author.

So I copied and pasted an entire column from the New York Times (from 2009) without providing the http-link, but at the very end, after the paste, I included the column's author, the title under which the New York Times published the column, and the attribution of "New York Times."

And then, as that discussion thread continued, I said this:

I will take jmbishop's advice and replace the text of the New York Times column on Al Gore with a page link.

Talk about trying to make a Mountain out of a Molehill.

Is there a pattern of online plagiarism on my part, Mr. "J"..? Or is that one just a One Off..? I'm a man of many online message board postings. Is there another such instance that you would like to reference here, for the benefit of this forum? Don't you think that Plagiarism is a heavy charge to try and make stick against me, by hanging it on such a bare-bones scaffold of evidentiary support?

I do.

Or is this really not about plagiarism, but about something else? An underlying motive on your part, that you are disguising with the word "plagiarism."..?

IMWTK.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2017 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did not forget to link the article that I "plagiarized." I purposely omitted the link...

... I guess you're not going to get it.

Neither did I "plagiarize." The column that I duplicated has its proper citation at the very end, by title, venue (NYT) and author.

You omitted the link and didn't quote anything. In your own words you "duplicated" it, adding it to your own text without anything to differentiate your words from the "duplicated" work.
This absolutely is about your plagiarism. I don't care to comb through the forum to find more examples. You challenged me to find it, I found it with no effort. Sorry it continues to trigger you.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 12-18-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2017 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I thought about plagiarizing it but couldn't bring myself to do it.

This shows that I really don't read rinselberg's posts very thoroughly anymore. He used to be entertaining but he lost his sense of humor. I suggested to him that might happen, but to no avail.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2017 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You omitted the link and didn't quote anything. In your own words you "duplicated" it, adding it to your own text without anything to differentiate your words from the "duplicated" work. This absolutely is about your plagiarism. I don't care to comb through the forum to find more examples. You challenged me to find it, I found it with no effort. Sorry it continues to trigger you.

The original message has been overwritten by my Edit, but I set it up like this:

Here's why so many of Al Gore's detractors on free-ranging online discussion forums like this one are not even fit to kiss Al Gore's ass.

<text copied from New York Times>

Gore’s Dual Role: Advocate and Investor
John M. Broder for the New York Times; November 2, 2009.

<The first paragraph from the New York Times>
WASHINGTON — Former Vice President Al Gore thought he had spotted a winner last year when a small California firm sought financing for an energy-saving technology from the venture capital firm where Mr. Gore is a partner.

Did I have it that way originally, starting with "WASHINGTON — ", or had I removed that part? I don't remember myself, but perhaps you do. If it was there, that would have been a second clue that it was not my own writing. The first clue, the extra white space or blank line before it started, separating it from my own writing that preceded it. The third clue was this, after the last word that was duplicated from the NYT:
Gore’s Dual Role: Advocate and Investor
John M. Broder for the New York Times; November 2, 2009.

It certainly didn't appear to be my own writing to you.

People who are accused of Perjury in their testimony before Congress are given a chance to correct their testimony and explain why there was no criminal intent when their original testimony diverged from the facts.

Is this really not about plagiarism, but about something else? An underlying motive on your part, that you are disguising with the word "plagiarism."..?

IM-still-WTK.

Considering the cesspool-like behavior* that has become all too common in this forum, and particularly within this "Sea levels" discussion, going all the way back to Page One, anyone with a discerning mind would think that your focus on this Plagiarism idea about me, instead of turning your attention to much grosser violations of civil discourse that are manifest here, from someone else, is poor defensive play on your part. Like a defensive tackle who offers no more resistance to an onrushing ball carrier than a revolving glass door at the entrance to a department store, or a baffle gate or turnstile (turnstyle) used to admit concert-goers who are queued before an entranceway, one concert-goer at a time.

If the discussion is against you, attack the other forum member in a thoroughly Ad Hominem way.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 12-18-2017).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2017 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No amount of text vomit changes the fact that you challenged me to find just a single case of plagiarism on your part, I did with no effort and you're triggered.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2017 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... plagiarism is an act of fraud. It involves both stealing someone else's work and lying about it afterward.
http://www.plagiarism.org/a...e/what-is-plagiarism

I dispute the "stealing" part, and disprove any "lying about it afterward" on my part.

I submit all of the preceding discussion here as my testimony.

You don't have Plagiarism. You have an <rinselberg> Attribution of Material Copied from the New York Times that was not up to his usual best practices of online message board discussion Sourcing and Attribution.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 12-19-2017).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2017 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Considering the cesspool-like behavior that has become all too common in this forum, and particularly within this "Sea levels" discussion, going all the way back to Page One

In honor of that, here is one of my favorite tunes from when I was a sophomoric sophomore.
Grab a beer and sing along to the cesspool-like, definitely >>>---> NSFW <---<<< song, “Wide, Wide River” by the immutable Fugs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxoPAztX8RY
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2017 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont know why anyones in fear of drowning in the overflowing oceans. Al Gore and his crew said years ago the air pollution is going to suffocate everyone on the planet before that happens.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2017 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock