Started on: 10-11-2017 08:20 PM
Replies: 7 (207 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 10-12-2017 11:39 AM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2017 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the purpose of art?
What qualifies some sounds, sculptures, writing, etc. as art?
Can a machine produce art?

To me, art should evoke emotion and I don't like art that makes me feel angry or disgusted, but I do like sad music. I don't know why.

(marked political, because I know you guys)

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2017 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of "art" is in the eye of the viewer/ owner. I've got 2 "displays" I love but a lot of visitors just hate.

One is the front 1/2 of a galloping black horse, with the hind obscured in a dust-storm, the head, only about the front 1/3rd is there. Its in a heave black frame about 4" deep. Over the frame is a branch I've used for a walking stick for years. About 7 feet long with about a foot of curve to it. Its off of a pine tree from the old farm, and the wind took it down right at the root so it still has the knob on top. I stripped the bark and cleaned up the nubs years ago, but still havent gotten around to sanding it and putting on some varathane or something...Meh, I'll get to it right after my next procrastinators meeting. IF I get to that on. I can always attend on later. People like the picture but keep telling me to get rid of the branch, but to me they just "fit" together and remind me of that period in my life.

On the other wall is 3 Ouija boards, hung at angles to look like they just materialized from the cieling and are falling. THAT one makes a lot of people uncomfortable, I've even had one or 2 tell me they wont stay if those stay up. To me its just silly fun because I love my B-grade horror movies. I see nothing but movie props hanging on a wall that can bring a smile and a new you-tube search for something stupid, while they see portals to hell or some such nonsense.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2017 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool! Art that you created that says something about you. I like it.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2017 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It may not be art but I know what I like.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2017 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well... Since it's marked Political...

I think the Government should stay away from all art, they shouldn't be funding any of the "arts" through grants etc. as their deciding what is and isn't art destroys art.

Brad

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2017 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is widely interpreted.
But honestly creativity is art, it can be applied to nearly anything.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-12-2017 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pininfarina.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2017 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to witness it does it make a sound?
If only one person likes a piece of art, or no people, is it still art? ….If they dislike it? If they are indifferent to it? If no one ever sees it besides the creator? How does opinion play into it? Whose opinion? If it is used as a tool does it actually change?
Art is petty important to me, so I may have some indescribable feelings about it. 

This vid is pretty cool:
 In many ways I would say she is right.

If too long start at 4:10

I like these quotes about art:

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

If we can lose or make difficult our ability to create art, does the same happen with our ability to see it?
If someone sees that happen to us, could seeing that be art to them?

Isn’t it interesting “the creator” is the artist. “The Creator” is a phrase that also refers to God.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-12-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock