Started on: 09-05-2017 08:12 AM
Replies: 146 (2228 views)
Last post by: ray b on 09-18-2017 03:59 PM
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-05-2017 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Upgraded to Cat 5 now with 175 mph winds

South fla, you are screwed..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's passing just above Grand Cayman from what I see and I'm supposed to be flying down there in 2 weeks. I wonder how much damage the house I'll be staying in will sustain.
dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be the very first category 6 hurricane. Can a property even be built to withstand a category 6?
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ref....shtml?cone#contents

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-05-2017).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-05-2017 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
220mph winds now
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welp, looks like it's our turn...
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

Could be the very first category 6 hurricane. Can a property even be built to withstand a category 6?

There have been a few hurricanes that have reached what "would" be a Category 6 level... however, there's no such thing as a Category 6, but this storm tops that, reaching into what might even be considered a Category 7. They're thinking about creating a Category 6 marking though, for possible future hurricanes. This one won't be Category 6 though, because like I mentioned, that doesn't exist in the rating.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Welp, looks like it's our turn...

Just came home from the grocery store. We just needed a few usual items, nothing we don't normally go out for.

Some people are going out of their freaking minds right now. Bread, bottled water, charcoal, disposable diapers, and other things are GONE from the shelves.
Neighbor told us that the local Walmart was *rationing* bottled water and only allowing a small amount to each customer. Another neighbor that was there confirmed it, (3, 1 gallon jugs per customer...all the smaller individual bottles are gone).
Gasoline prices jumped by 20 cents last night to this morning and now at $2.70 / gal.
LINES at all the gas stations are insane right now.

This is just TUESDAY.

The storm isn't *predicted* to be over the north coast of Cuba until Saturday.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-05-2017).]

whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Upgraded to Cat 5 now with 175 mph winds

South fla, you are screwed..

Pretty much. We're prepared, but this is really gonna hit hard. 185 mph sustained winds with gusts of 225. Pray for the people in Key West and the Caribbean. This one's gonna hurt. We should get what we're going to get mid-day Saturday into late Sunday. Unless it turns sharply to the North. Then we're so screwed.

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 09-05-2017).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck to anyone in its path.

The media is already calling it a "Megastorm". I guess "Superstorm" was taken by Sandy.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Good luck to anyone in its path.

The media is already calling it a "Megastorm". I guess "Superstorm" was taken by Sandy.

Well the very worst thing that could happen is IF this damn thing skirts through the Florida Straits and then turns north and hits New Orleans again.

THAT will be "proof positive" to all the leftist whack jobs that President Trump somehow stole President George Bush's magical hurricane steering machine so that he could hit "people of color"...again.

On the upside though it will be fun to see BLM hold a protest swim.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-05-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess things could be worse...wait, I think they may already be...
Irma tracking West toward Gulf of Mexico.
TS Jose not far behind on the same track but a slightly lower approach.

Now, TD13 forms in the Western Gulf of mexico and is tracking East...

The next 7-10 days are going to be interesting..

Good luck to everyone.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 09-05-2017).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That little black spot right there... That's where I'm headed in 2 weeks.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might need this.

Prayers and hope of good luck for all in the path.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 09-05-2017).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

It will still be right there.

The wind will NOT move it. Trust me.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You picked peak hurricane season on purpose? That's rolling the dice for sure. I hope everything works out.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-06-2017 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JUST THINKING OUT LOUD

Keel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-06-2017 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KeelSend a Private Message to KeelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jose is gonna try and sneak into the country in the wake of Irma?? I am not surprised by this...
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

It will still be right there.

The wind will NOT move it. Trust me.

Oh I know the island will still be there. I'm just not so sure how well the house I'll be staying in will fare. If I recall correctly it's along the north side beach at Rum Point.

Originally posted by Hudini:

You picked peak hurricane season on purpose? That's rolling the dice for sure. I hope everything works out.

It wasn't my choice. A doctor I do a lot of work for is sending me down to his vacation home to oversee the AC repairs and the repairs to the soffit's around the octagon portion of the house. He picked a bad time of year to set these repairs all up.

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I see. Work related. Good luck.
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-06-2017 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
180mph sustained winds. This is at a French weather observatory in St. Martin.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 09-06-2017).]

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It wasn't my choice. A doctor I do a lot of work for is sending me down to his vacation home to oversee the AC repairs and the repairs to the soffit's around the octagon portion of the house. He picked a bad time of year to set these repairs all up.

Depends on how you look at it.

If the house is gone, well, then yeah, bad timing.

OTOH, if the house is still there, having you in place is going to look damn near prescient.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
There have been a few hurricanes that have reached what "would" be a Category 6 level... however, there's no such thing as a Category 6, but this storm tops that, reaching into what might even be considered a Category 7. They're thinking about creating a Category 6 marking though, for possible future hurricanes. This one won't be Category 6 though, because like I mentioned, that doesn't exist in the rating.

From what Ive seen your right. Cat 5 is anything above 157mph. Even 500mph would be cat 5.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

180mph sustained winds. This is at a French weather observatory in St. Martin.

About one minute, of a wind event that lasts for hours.......

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just came home from the grocery store. We just needed a few usual items, nothing we don't normally go out for.

Some people are going out of their freaking minds right now. Bread, bottled water, charcoal, disposable diapers, and other things are GONE from the shelves.

Shelves are empty in Houston also. Except vegan meat substitute.
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wife's sister lives right in the path of this. Yesterday she said she's not watching the news and not worried about the storm because it;s all hype.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know someone who stayed through Andrew and was lucky to have survived. He said his neighborhood sustained extreme damage and luckily his house stayed intact. Good luck to your wife's sister. From everything I've heard from survivors it's something you will never forget.

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 09-07-2017).]

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have several relatives and a few friends in FL, have called each one and invited them to come up to KY for a visit while Irma is in town.
Everyone of them is staying put where they are. While concerned about them, we each have to make decisions at times like this and live or die with the results of that decision. It is, what it is.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-07-2017 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing that is not being reported is the amount of liberal twitter folk that are wishing, hoping, praying, that the red state will "wash all trump supporters into the Gulf of Mexico". There are much more extreme examples on twitter.

Listen, I hope all make it through. I watched a video as the winds began. Within a minute it went from gusty, to full out carnage. Like nothing that I have ever seen. With that being said, we have only been keeping track of history for a short period of the Earth's existence.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too many folks decided to stay when Camille hit the Miss gulf coast..many were never found.
It is SOOO easy to look at the home you've lived in for so long and think "It will survive..won't be that bad" ...a recipe for disaster and tragedy.

I pray this storm turns East and stays away from the coast.
I wouldn't even wish this sort of trouble on HRC.
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-07-2017 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I wouldn't even wish this sort of trouble on HRC.

Absolutely. Political affiliation, immigration status, or anything else be damned, I pray for all.
Ventura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VenturaSend a Private Message to VenturaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm 40 miles northeast of Savannah in South Carolina. I live on a farm with livestock and I'm gonna stay put. The house was built to hurricane codes but that's only good to 100mph which is a category 1 or a weak category 2. My backup plan if things get really bad is to ride the storm out inside of a shipping container anchored to the ground. Grocery stores are running out of some things and gas is getting harder to find. A category 1 came through here last year and it made roads impassible and took down miles of power lines. The power was out for days. If a category 3 hits Savannah, its gonna be really bad.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When Charley rolled through our neighborhood in 2004, it was Cat3. It almost destroyed our house. There was literally a tree hanging above our house waiting to fall on it. (it was in the process of falling, but got caught up in the branches of other trees) Also, the damage to our general area was astounding. Our town looked like it had been bombed.

Irma looks like it's going to be worse. So if Irma doesn't change it's track soon, we're gonna GTFO. I'm brave, but I'm not stupid.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 09-07-2017).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did a little riding today, met a couple of fellow Valkyrie riders for lunch. We were near a few large motels. Couldn't help but notice the hotel parking lots were full and the vast majority of vehicles had Florida tags. Coincidence? I think not.

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but …
after a shooting, the problem is the gun....
Open your frigg'n minds, think about all the other tools that can be made into WMDs.

I sincerely hope that life is never discovered on another planet because, sure as hell Progressives and Socialists will want to send them money.

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I live on top of a mountain in north west NC. I just found out that even I am in the path of Irma. I'm obviously not worried about the storm surge (God said he wouldn't flood the earth again and I'm at about 3000 feet) but the winds might not be agreeable. I can see losing power for a few days. That might suck. Of course, inconvenience is a heck of a lot better than tragedy.

Praying for those in the path where Irma will be the most active.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Did a little riding today, met a couple of fellow Valkyrie riders for lunch. We were near a few large motels. Couldn't help but notice the hotel parking lots were full and the vast majority of vehicles had Florida tags. Coincidence? I think not.

Ron,

In the 12 years since Florida had its last hurricane we have had a huge influx of people relocating down here.

Florida is now the 3rd most populous state in the country.

Very few, if any, of the new residents in the past 12 years have ever experienced a hurricane or even a tropical storm.

We have neighbors that moved here from the St. Louis area that thought a hurricane was similar to a tornado and couldn't understand all the concern.

We also have other neighbors and acquaintances that moved here recently from other parts of the U.S. that have gone into full blown panic mode.

Almost all of the gas stations in the Tampa area are now OUT of fuel and have roped off their pumps.

The grocery store shelves are wiped clean of bread, water, canned goods, peanut butter, charcoal, toilet paper and many, many other things.
It's surreal. It looks like old scenes from Soviet Russia with bare shelves.

There were fist fights at our local Home Depot already over generators and plastic gas cans.

We have lived here in Florida, (alternately on both coasts), since 1986 and have experienced every hurricane and TS since then in one form or another.

The idea that some people are fleeing the state that far north isn't all that surprising to me.

As for me and mine, we have a good supply of all food and essentials. Generators, fuel and batteries, charcoal, flashlights, and lanterns are stocked and ready.
We have ______ thousand rounds of each ammo in 5.56, 40 S&W, 9mm, and 12 Ga. all stored secure and dry. All the guns are clean, oiled and ready.
Laundry will all be done tonight or tomorrow morning and I have a good supply of meds from the VA on hand.
Even the pet food is all stocked up.
My truck is all gassed up with 36 gallons and we have cash on hand IF we need to bug out, (ATM's don't work when the power goes out), but plans now are to stay in place.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-07-2017).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My truck is all gassed up with 36 gallons and we have cash on hand IF we need to bug out, but plans now are to stay in place.

Randy,
Know this. If, that becomes necessary, you won't need a hotel room in Central Kentucky. Just give me a shout.
BTW, your son Dobie is welcomed also.

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but …
after a shooting, the problem is the gun....
Open your frigg'n minds, think about all the other tools that can be made into WMDs.

I sincerely hope that life is never discovered on another planet because, sure as hell Progressives and Socialists will want to send them money.

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Randy,
Know this. If, that becomes necessary, you won't need a hotel room in Central Kentucky. Just give me a shout.
BTW, your son Dobie is welcomed also.

Thank you for the gracious offer Ron.

If circumstances do force us that far north we have family in Indiana, but a stop in Kentucky might well be in order.

I can think of very few things that might be more enjoyable than a couple of old Kentucky Colonels sittin' around and swapping lies stories with each other.

As for Dobey; I'm sure he would be sitting and waiting for the government to tend to his every need whilst bitterly complaining the entire time.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-07-2017).]

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We may have to stay put. We're in North Miami, but my wife works for the county and has to work at one of the shelters tomorrow night into Saturday morning. The problem is, for the moment, Miami-Dade County has only opened up one shelter to take animals and that filled up quickly. Our apartment is on the 3rd floor and we have large condo buildings that act as wind breakers to the East of us. We'll make the final decision early Saturday morning, but we are NOT leaving our animals behind. If we stay, we know the risks and may have to deal with them. But for now, the county is making it difficult for us to go. All of the hotels in Florida are booked too. Either way, we have plans for both scenarios. We can either shelter in place in the bathroom, which is the inner-most room of the apartment and no windows. Or we'll already have our stuff packed and we can take off within about 30 minutes. For after the storm, we have flashlights, lanterns, plenty of water and non-perishable food.

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave