Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  To dream the impossible... burger. Vegan 'burger' bleeds like choice ground beef. (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
To dream the impossible... burger. Vegan 'burger' bleeds like choice ground beef. by rinselberg
Started on: 07-08-2017 01:30 PM
Replies: 89 (1212 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 11-30-2021 08:28 PM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2017 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps Rinselberg has invested in "impossable meats" with hopes of opening a "Fakin' Bacon" franchise in Damascus.
IP: Logged
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2017 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:
Your coming across here, Cliff (W), as not fully vested in the free market aspects of our economy.

Ah, I see. You got hoodwinked into selling pyrimid crap, like Tupperware, Mary K cosmetics. The "free market aspects" ?
You would be better off trying the drug dealer business model. "the first hit is free".
Are you spamming the forum ? We have rules here y'a know, .

But that begs the question, why are you trying to make my little "show and tell" about it into a "negative"..?

Why ? Because it is a negative. You didn't do a taste and tell. You didn't ask us if anyone had tried a bleeding vegan salad. You are touting Vegan. I thought I was supposed to hug trees, not eat them.

What kind of bleeding vegetable tastes better than another ?

It's your unalienable right not to be open to the possibility of trying one, yourself. It's your unalienable right not to accept the veracity of the idea that an Impossible Burger is considerably less of an imposition on Earth's climate and natural resources than a traditional (beef) burger.

It is my unalienable right to not give a damn about the Earth's climate. I work outdoors on twelve hours shifts. Sometimes it is hot, sometimes it is cold. Deal with it. Even if it rains or pours. I like it better when it rains on hot days.

So now we are getting to the nut cutting. You are thinking that you are trying to save the planet. Good luck, you can't fool Mother Nature.
I suppose next that you will start a thread blaming the dinosaurs for the demise of the dinosaurs, some of which were vegans.

In what way have I transgressed against any of your unalienable rights?

And if there's been no transgression against your unalienable rights on my part, then how would you or anyone else explain the kind of "negative" (almost churlish) temperament of your conversation here?

You have not transgressed on/against any of my unalienable rights.
It is my unalienable right not to give you any kind of an explanation for how I feel. No one else needs to do so, or could.

I had to look up the definition of churlish.

niggardly; mean.

That's racist.

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trying an Impossible Burger is on my "to do" list, not sure when I can slot that into my ever-frantic schedule.

In the meantime, who wants some YouTube?

Three dudes go to Santa Monica and compare the Beyond Burger to the Impossible Burger. Two no-meat burgers. They say the Beyond Burger is very good, and better than all the rest--except for the Impossible Burger. They say the Impossible Burger is awesome. Better even than the Beyond Burger. The pinnacle of no-meat burger'ing.
ALMOST 7 MINUTES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35FpMeFW_cs

What's in an Impossible Burger? Why is it more Earth-friendly than a traditional burger made from ground beef?
2+ MINUTES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB-90-LEPZ4
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys know you can embed youtube on this forum?

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
BTW if you going to say something, get your facts right.

Originally posted by RayOtton:

I mean, the other poster even went to the trouble of doubling down on his "moron" smear. He could have just shut up but that's not what we do on the 'net, am I right?

I said "In reality I have yet to MEET a smart vegan/vegetarian, all so far are total morons."

And I stand by my statement, I have yet to meet (meat..ha ha...pun) a smart one.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So now we have the rare triple down. Don't see that much.

Parse it any way you like but you made it clear that you have a low opinion of ALL vegetarians.

I also stick by my words.

We would do better as a group if we got a smaller brush so we weren't painting so broadly.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every vegan/vegetarian I have every met was stupid, thus my opinion formed from experience, my experience.
Gave me real stupid reasons for being what they are, backed by bad misinformation.
My opinion is not closed, but yet to meet one.....

If you want to say broad quotes.......

We would do better as a group if we got a smaller brush so we weren't painting so broadly.

"It's not a stereotype if it's always true"

To me nothing sounds better than a cow ground up into a patty, grilled up, topped with a pig cut into thin strips, with cheese made from the cow before it was ground up, on a bun. DAYUM

For the moral part...did you know PETA euthanizes more animals a year than anyone else.?.?.... food for thought (<--ha pun)
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's left to say?

You have an opinion of vegetarians and it doesn't go much further than that.

Hey you know what irony is?

While married to my SMART vegetarian I was the IT manager for Purdue Chicken. That's right, I ran the computer systems in a chicken slaughter house.

I still eat chicken but not the Franks. Oh no, no, no, not the Franks.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post07-10-2017 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

Every vegan/vegetarian I have every met was stupid, thus my opinion formed from experience, my experience.
Gave me real stupid reasons for being what they are, backed by bad misinformation.
My opinion is not closed, but yet to meet one.....

If you want to say broad quotes.......

"It's not a stereotype if it's always true"

To me nothing sounds better than a cow ground up into a patty, grilled up, topped with a pig cut into thin strips, with cheese made from the cow before it was ground up, on a bun. DAYUM

For the moral part...did you know PETA euthanizes more animals a year than anyone else.?.?.... food for thought (<--ha pun)

Every vegan was stupid I dunno, every one I ever met was a leftie tree-huger. Not drawing conclusions about the intelligence of leftie tree-hugers, just sayin there might be some correlation.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I still eat chicken but not the Franks. Oh no, no, no, not the Franks.

There are some old Blues lyrics that go something like that.....
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19450 posts
Member since Mar 2009

You guys know you can embed youtube on this forum?

Yeah, but I didn't want to clutter up the thread, I just wanted to be a smartass....

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those Franks are made from MDM ( Mechanically Deboned Meat ).

They squish all the left over bits in a giant hopper, strain it through some very fine stainless steel mesh and it plops like pink toothpaste into a giant box.

It's not as gross as I described. It's way worse, 'cuz you can't smell it.

Hey, know what's worse than scraping chicken fat out of a PC?

Yeah, nothing.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-10-2017 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey, know what's worse than scraping chicken fat out of a PC?

Yeah, nothing.

Why would you want to ?

If they want to be politically-correct they can scrape their own damn chicken fat, because they will try to force you to call it "alternative-bravery avian-mass-enhancer" or something equally stupid.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, when the PC running a production line goes down in a slaughterhouse processing thousands of chickens a day the bosses pay attention.

You DO want your chicken don't you?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You DO want your chicken don't you?

Not anymore, .
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

....MDM ( Mechanically Deboned Meat )....

They squish all the left over bits in a giant hopper, strain it through some very fine stainless steel mesh and it plops like pink toothpaste into a giant box.

It's not as gross as I described. It's way worse, 'cuz you can't smell it.

I'll bet that's how they make that stuff you find next to the bologna slices.....you know.....chicken sheets!

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-10-2017 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Not anymore, .

If it tastes like chicken keep on licken.
If it tastes like trout get the hell out.

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go ahead and laugh.

Just remember, Mr. Purdue boasted that they use everything but the cluck.
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love "Asleep at the Wheel" and Louis Jordan. I just listened to both versions. Thanks!
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple of Louis Jordan food songs from 1949:

Keel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-10-2017 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KeelSend a Private Message to KeelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So now we have the rare triple down. Don't see that much.

Parse it any way you like but you made it clear that you have a low opinion of ALL vegetarians.

I also stick by my words.

You are letting the fact that your wife was one cloud your reading of words in context

[This message has been edited by Keel (edited 07-10-2017).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2017 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't go looking for a place that offers (the) Impossible Burger but it turned up at a place that I've been in the habit of going to from time to time.

Presentation:
Nestled within a soft and warmed brioche bun, my Impossible Burger was accessorized with Iceberg lettuce (too much, I discarded the half of it), tomato slices, mild sour pickle slices and a modest amount of Thousand Island dressing. The faux beef burger was round and about an eighth of an inch thick. It didn't look like it was "bleeding", but I didn't see it before they put it on the grill or while it was being grilled. What I was presented with was uniformly gray inside, with no trace of red or pink. I saw no char marks on the outside of it. A pleasant look, but not something that is likely to knock the eyes out of a hardcore beef burger fan. It didn't "check in" or "register" with my olfactory receptors in any memorable way.

Consumption:
As I munched it down to its last bite, I kept asking myself one fundamental question: If I didn't know or had not been tipped off in advance, would I have thought I had been served a burger of real ground beef?

I say it's possible.

I won't say that my dining IQ is the best or anywhere near the best, but it didn't come across to me as a "No way you are eating beef" type of vegan burger. I don't think anyone would liken it to a ground chicken or ground turkey burger. I think of it as a burger that does not boast of beef-ness in a loud voice, but hints at it with a wink and a nod. A "rumor" of beef. It wasn't dry, or noticeably juicy, either. It certainly wasn't greasy. It lacked that slippery mouth feel of fat content or lipids. It held together fairly well, bite after bit, although the structural integrity of the fully cooked patty seemed slightly less robust than a beef patty of comparable thickness.

Final thought:
I've seen some on YouTube say it's the most beef-like vegan burger that's out there, today. It's the vegan burger they would choose first. That seems very plausible to me, based on the one I just ate.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 08-01-2017).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2017 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The faux beef burger was round and about an eighth of an inch thick.

Boy, I hope that is a misrepresentation. I can't imagine that that is what passes for a burger, even in 'Frisco.

A "rumor" of beef.

If the above estimation is even close to accurate, this description would be generous.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 08-02-2017).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:
Boy, I hope that is a misrepresentation. I can't imagine that that is what passes for a burger, even in 'Frisco.

It's what passes for a burger in many a fast food joint...

Ever looked at that patty in a Whopper or 1/4 Pounder? I can't say they are really all that much thicker than a 1/8th of an inch and definitely wouldn't say the basic hamburger or cheese burger is for sure.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever else my "critics" may say about me, now they can't say (not truly) that I'm all just talk. I just put my money where my mouth is (or was.)

It cost me $10 for the Impossible Burger that I reviewed (scroll backwards a small ways) here almost 24 hours ago. The same level of BEEF burger at that same joint would have been just $8 (I think.) A bit less. That's before the dine-in tax and any gratuities (which I didn't.)

In this area, the demand for the Impossible Burger is outstripping the supply. The first time I was in there (during the weekend), they had the Impossible Burger sign near the checkout register, but it said "Sold Out, Awaiting Next Shipment."

Where are you, cliffw..? This is news that Kerr County needs to know about.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$10 or even $8 for a burger? are you insane?
Besides cows cost alot more than tofu. What a scam.

Edit to add: so your a non-tipper what a stand up guy..err person..er what ever Calis want to be called now.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 08-02-2017).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is not out of line for a good burger, but a nanolayer of pretend cow hardly qualifies as a burger, good or otherwise.

gratuities (which I didn't.)

In the parlance of the wine and art walk crowd, "How gauche"
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Where are you, cliffw..? This is news that Kerr County needs to know about.

Where am I ? Heh, that is a good question.
I am between here and who knows where (I am moving). I have been busy.

'Tis good that you finally tried fake meat. Thanks for your opinion. Now tell us what you really think. Will you buy another one ? Will you ever eat a real burger again ?
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Besides cows cost alot more than tofu. What a scam.

Edit to add: so your a non-tipper what a stand up guy..err person..er what ever Calis want to be called now.

It wasn't delivered to my table or booth. I just picked it up where the orders are ready and took a seat at a counter. In front of me, the kitchen area, behind a clear glass barrier.

Should I have put a dollar in the Tips jar on the way out? I didn't. It's not often that I tender any kind of tip for that kind of an experience. All I had was the Impossible Burger and a beer. Beer drawn from a tap. I guess that might have deserved a $1 tip, but I didn't.

If I had tendered a gratuity (tip) then I think I would have had to RECUSE myself from posting my review online. A monetary Conflict of Interest.

I'm so glad to see cliffw here again. I might have more Impossible Burgers. From time to time. I am not going to give up BEEF burgers, though.

I'd do it again, just for a little variety. So I can mentally pat myself on the back and think to myself "Way to save the PLANET, kid. I really eliminated some GLOBAL WARMING with this one. And I abstained from RED MEAT on this occasion. Probably going to add another ENTIRE YEAR to my lifespan."

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 08-02-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It wasn't delivered to my table or booth. I just picked it up where the orders are ready and took a seat at a counter. In front of me, the kitchen area, behind a clear glass barrier.

Should I have put a dollar in the Tips jar on the way out? I didn't. It's not often that I tender any kind of tip for that kind of an experience. All I had was the Impossible Burger and a beer. Beer drawn from a tap. I guess that might have deserved a $1 tip, but I didn't.

When I go to a bar and get a beer at the umm bar, I don't tip either. For the first one. They are there to serve. I might not even tip after the second beer. TIPS is but just an acronym for To Insure Prompt Service.

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

When I go to a bar and get a beer at the umm bar, I don't tip either. For the first one. They are there to serve. I might not even tip after the second beer. TIPS is but just an acronym for To Insure Prompt Service.

I would think then you would tip after the first to insure prompt service on the second but not tip on the last as you will no longer need prompt service after?
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't say that I am a "regular" at this establishment, but a month seldom goes by without my going there at least once and having that kind of experience. So maybe I should say that I am a "regular". As often as not, it's the same gentleman who takes my order at the check-in counter, takes my payment, and then draws a beer from the tap (if that's what I want). It's a franchise with a handful of locations. All here in California, I think. This fellow is clearly the location manager and (I think) the location owner or co-owner. I just get that "vibe" from him.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:
I would think then you would tip after the first to insure prompt service on the second but not tip on the last as you will no longer need prompt service after?

You would think wrong. My last tip is the biggest tip, a "thank you" tip.

I am a tipper. Not because of one service they do for me because they volunteered for the job.

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2017 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd do it again, just for a little variety. So I can mentally pat myself on the back and think to myself "Way to save the PLANET, kid. I really eliminated some GLOBAL WARMING with this one. And I abstained from RED MEAT on this occasion. Probably going to add another ENTIRE YEAR to my lifespan."

Eating vegi burgers causes global warming, by keeping cows alive, they fart out methane gas and deplete the ozone layer.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2017 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wouldn't say that I am a "regular" at this establishment,

I would venture to guess that 'regular' is seldom an apt description of rinselberg in any context.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2017 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Eating vegi burgers causes global warming, by ....

All crops, trees, vegetables, put out C02.

We are doomed.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will post this here. It does not belong in the hurricane Harvey thread.

Hurricane Harvey's devastated Houston. No gas to be found, the grocery store shelves are empty. No water no milk no beer. The only thing in abundance is vagin meat substitute.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've returned to Gott's Roadside in Palo Alto a few times, since, but I have not opted to have another Impossible Burger. They still offer them.

CNN has just reported on meat products cultured from animal stem cells, and by some estimates, the first of these products will be available to consumers at grocery stores and supermarkets by 2021. It's being called "In Vitro" meat, or with somewhat less dignity, "Test Tube" meat. It's also being called "Clean" meat.

Bill Gates and Richard Branson are reportedly investing $17 million in Memphis Meats, which is looking to become one of the players in this sector.

Here's the last three paragraphs of the CNN report:

The US Department of Agriculture projects that meat consumption will reach a record high in 2018: 222.8 pounds of meat per person for the year. With record meat consumption and an ever-growing world population that is projected to reach 9.7 billion by 2050, the current meat supply will be insufficient.

Clean meat production could also result in 78% to 96% lower greenhouse gas emissions, use 7% to 45% less energy, 99% less land, and 82% to 96% less water than traditional methods, according to a study from the University of Oxford.

British Prime Minister
Winston Churchill predicted the advent of clean meat in 1932.

"We shall escape the absurdity of growing a whole chicken in order to eat the breast or wing, by growing these parts separately under a suitable medium," Churchill wrote. Eighty-six years later, his dream is growing closer to reality.

For the complete report online, I refer you to The Most Trusted Name in News:

How close are we to a hamburger grown in a lab?
Charlotte Hawks for CNN; March 1, 2018.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03...meat-food/index.html
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay