Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Oregon Man Fined $500 for Practicing Engineering Without a License (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Oregon Man Fined $500 for Practicing Engineering Without a License by Fats
Started on: 04-26-2017 10:32 AM
Replies: 53 (661 views)
Last post by: cliffw on 04-29-2017 09:11 AM
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2017 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can hold a doctorate and be unlicensed. You just cant practice.
IP: Logged
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2017 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

All doctors are licensed, but only a (large) subset of doctors are board certified.

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

You can hold a doctorate and be unlicensed. You just cant practice.

Actually not all MDs are licensed, the same as all lawyers are not licensed.

You can hold the educational credentials, MD or JD, and not have state licensing.

Additionally, as alluded to, Board Certification in medicine is not the same as state licensing. It is usually being "certified" as a member of a specialized group within the ABMS, (American Board of Medical Specialties), such as:

American Board of Dermatology
American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
American Board of Internal Medicine
American Board of Pathology
Etc.

You can also "practice law" without a law degree or being a member of the state Bar Association as long as your only "client" is yourself.
It is known as "Acting Pro Se". You generally always have a right in this country to represent yourself or engage legal counsel.
I have known a few "lawyers" over the years that obtained their Doctor of Jurisprudence, (JD) degree but then failed to pass their state Bar exams or just didn't bother taking the exam and never practiced law.

Individual states have different professional regulation, and while all states generally require professional licensing of medical practitioners and lawyers, they can also be quite "picky" about licensing and regulating what could be considered some "odd" occupations. As an example, Florida is very strict about state licensing of *fingernail technicians* and apparently painting someone's fingernails, other than your own, without a license can get you fined or jailed.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 04-28-2017).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2017 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:
... Florida is very strict about state licensing of *fingernail technicians* and apparently painting someone's fingernails, other than your own, without a license can get you fined or jailed.

ROCK ON Amerika.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-28-2017 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

ROCK ON Amerika.

For perspective:

I dated an owner of a salon back in Michigan about 20 years ago. Cute little thing. We worked at RJR together. Anyhoot, the reason that there are certifications and standards for the "fingernail industry" is due to folks practicing 3rd world hygiene and calling it a salon. It is just dirt folks that have disregard for others, or no understanding of basic hand washing. I too was confused that a nail technician needed to be certified, but imagine having a dirt ball without knowledge grinding bacteria and filth into your body?

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 04-28-2017).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2017 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:
For perspective:

I dated an owner of a salon back in Michigan about 20 years ago. Cute little thing.

I dated the owner of a saloon about 20 years ago. She too, was a cute little thing, but she's also the one that talked me into getting into the wrestling ring with a bear. He whipped my butt every which way to Sunday, in front of a big crowd of jeering customers.

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2017 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do engineers still drive train engines?

Always wanted a pair of engineer boots.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2017 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
... but she's also the one that talked me into getting into the wrestling ring with a bear.

Did you mean bear, or beer ?

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2017 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both Cliff. That's how they taught the bear to fight. After every round, he got a longneck. The Pavlov conditioning effect...
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2017 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you get one too ?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2017 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35951 posts
Member since Jun 2003
You couldn't whup a drunk bear ?
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-28-2017 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Seriously dude, the bear was in on the beer. Both of them were practicing wrastlin' without a license.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2017 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nope, and neither did anyone else that tried. (I was the 1st fool) The drunker he got the meaner he got.
I'm just glad he was muzzled and paws taped up (maybe was declawed--can't remember now..that was back in late 80s.)

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2017 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Seriously dude, the bear was in on the beer. Both of them were practicing wrastlin' without a license.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2017 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Nope, and neither did anyone else that tried. (I was the 1st fool) The drunker he got the meaner he got.
I'm just glad he was muzzled and paws taped up (maybe was declawed--can't remember now..that was back in late 80s.)

Day'um. I thought you was a 2nd cousin of Paul Bunyan.

Or was it Paul Bunion ?

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock