Started on: 04-19-2017 08:56 AM
Replies: 51 (795 views)
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 05-31-2017 02:02 AM
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-25-2017 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
They allow you to teach ?
Add fidget spinners to your technological stimulation list.
How can they possibly help anybody focus ? They look and play and think about their fidget spinners.

C'mon man !

So I guess you should submit your paper to the medical and psychology journals. You seem to know everything about it. Tell all those people with doctorates, some with multiple, how wrong they are. You have multiple doctorates relating to psychology and medicine, right, and have performed multiple long term scientific studies, with pages upon pages of documentation to support your findings, right?
IP: Logged
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2017 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They allow you to teach ?
Add fidget spinners to your technological stimulation list.
How can they possibly help anybody focus ? They look and play and think about their fidget spinners.

C'mon man !

Throughout my schooling, I had to constantly tap my leg as I sat throughout the day. It wasn't voluntary, and I was able to focus while doing it. For many kids I don't see how fidget spinners are any different. However, I agree with you that this not the case for all students and some are indeed playing with them.

However, as a teacher, I also know you don't draw lines in the sand with students. You make a rule against if, they are more likely to do it. After all, they are teenagers, they want to rebel. Let the consequences speak for themselves. If we are having a class discussion and they are playing with one and engaging in the discussion, then they can keep doing it. I'm the other hand, if they are completely distracted, the knowledge check at the end of the period will bite them in the ass.

[This message has been edited by Threedog (edited 05-25-2017).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-25-2017 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:
Click to show

So your involuntary leg tapping was a medical condition of the CNS? And, I am curious, how was it cured?

I shook my legs like no tomorrow for a good part of my childhood. My own reasons and fears. I got called on it while working one night, and can pin point the moment I realized it was me controlling this, and not some CNS failure.

Really, I am fascinated about your involuntary leg tapping. I want to hear more...

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 05-25-2017).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2017 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everyone I work with has these things... I'm the only one that actually has/had childhood ADHD, and I don't have one of these. They're too distracting.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2017 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
THESE, are a different kind of fidget spinners.
https://imgur.com/gallery/CT2Hn

I wonder if he can actually use them?
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-26-2017 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

That is mesmerizing. Thanks for posting. Kid has done a bit of practicing.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:
So I guess you should submit your paper to the medical and psychology journals. You seem to know everything about it. Tell all those people with doctorates, some with multiple, how wrong they are. You have multiple doctorates relating to psychology and medicine, right, and have performed multiple long term scientific studies, with pages upon pages of documentation to support your findings, right?

Right.

Throughout my schooling, I had to constantly tap my leg as I sat throughout the day. It wasn't voluntary, and I was able to focus while doing it. For many kids I don't see how fidget spinners are any different.

Did you watch yourself tapping your leg (it wasn't the middle leg was it) ? Did your leg tapping fetish distract other students ? Did they one up you and get better more pretty leg tapping techniques ?

However, as a teacher, I also know you don't draw lines in the sand with students. You make a rule against if, they are more likely to do it. After all, they are teenagers, they want to rebel. Let the consequences speak for themselves.

It may surprise you that I am also a teacher. Of four children, eight grandchildren, numerous nieces and nephews, and a whole kadaddle of neighborhood kids. I know about making rules but you are right. It's always fun when it is against the rules. I was a kid.

Then there is that consequence thing you talk about. There are consequences for breaking rules. Is that not a good life lesson for "students" ?

... if they are completely distracted, the knowledge check at the end of the period will bite them in the ass.

What are you trying to say ? If I am completely drunk I will be arrested but it is okay to be slightly drunk ?

Do you think I should encourage my students to take their fidget spinners to their job interviews ? Should I teach my students that any time is time for personal gratification.

Originally posted by maryjane:

I don't know about that young 'un but I have an autistic grandchild. Smarter than a whip but his grades were bad due to not focusing.
His fidget spinner was a mock military rifle and he could spin them, military parade style. Impressively. For those other than you maryjane, yes, spinning is what the display of rifle theatrics is called.

Threedog. Would it be discrimination to not let my grandson use his fidget spinner of choice ?

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know about that young 'un but I have an autistic grandchild. Smarter than a whip but his grades were bad due to not focusing.
His fidget spinner was a mock military rifle and he could spin them, military parade style. Impressively. For those other than you maryjane, yes, spinning is what the display of rifle theatrics is called.

Threedog. Would it be discrimination to not let my grandson use his fidget spinner of choice ?

Cliff, my man... and fellow Texan. If you're getting into it with 3-Dog on a post about Fidget Spinners... then you've got to ease away. Remember the whole story about pigs and mud? Jaskispider... I mean 3-Dog is... I dunno... probably not having a good last couple of months. He's angry about Trump... just ignore him.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Impressively. For those other than you maryjane, yes, spinning is what the display of rifle theatrics is called.

Modified 16 count Manual of arms.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-26-2017).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-29-2017 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not know they even existed till this thread,I still don't feel a need to get one even after a lengthy term of enlightenment.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock