Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Odds just went down that you're a 2D avatar inside some vast 3D hologram universe

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Odds just went down that you're a 2D avatar inside some vast 3D hologram universe by rinselberg
Started on: 12-06-2015 06:16 PM
Replies: 4 (137 views)
Last post by: rinselberg on 12-06-2015 07:26 PM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2015 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, that's my version of the quantum theory "bafflegab" that is being reported in the U.K.'s Daily Mail online:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...-world-illusion.html

I just kind of tossed in "avatar", because I thought it seemed to fit. But the word "avatar" does not appear in the report. It starts like this; I added what I think are some clarifications inside square brackets:

The bizarre theory that we live in a hologram has been dismissed in a year-long experiment.

The holographic concept has been likened to [all of humanity actually as] "characters" on a television show who do not know that the seemingly 3D world exists only on a 2D screen.

The information about everything in our universe could actually [theoretically] be encoded [in a kind of digital-like format] in tiny packets in two dimensions, theoretical physicists say [have said].

The experiment was performed at the Department of Energy's Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, usually rendered as "Fermilab", near Batavia, Illinois, and not far from Chicago. The scientists constructed a Holometer (holographic interferometer), which is described in the report. They are billing it as the most sensitive device ever used to try to measure the quantum jitter of space. As in "empty space".

If the universe were actually like this hologram concept, it would be as if we are part of a two-dimensional surface or plane, but our perceptions are creating an illusion that fills our consciousness of existing within the three-dimensional space that everyone intuitively understands. And we would be "digital", in the sense that we are part of a universe that is pixelated or composed from discrete packets, kind of like the pixels that are the indivisible parts of any digital image, like (adds the always helpful Captain Obvious) the browser window that is presenting you with the imagery that is Pennock's Fiero Forum at this very moment. The scale of the packets or "pixels" that cannot be further subdivided--in other words, the absolute limit of "small" in this holographic universe concept--10 trillion trillion times smaller than an atom. This is known to the quantum community as a "Planck length", to honor the famous theoretical physicist Max Planck, who first conceived of it.

After using statistical methods to analyze a year's worth of measurement data from the Holometer, the Fermilab quantum theory boffins are reporting that the test data does not support the first variation of the Hologram Universe Theory that they were set up for.

But they are not ruling out the possibility that the Holometer instrumentation could be reconfigured to test some other variation of the Hologram Universe concept, and the test data from that experiment could be positive, instead of the negative results that came out of the current experimental setup.

They're thinking about how to proceed with additional Holometer test runs.

This is the "official" online public report from symmetry, which is a joint Fermilab/SLAC publication:
http://www.symmetrymagazine...ce-time-correlations

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 12-07-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2015 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wonder how much that cost us..
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post12-06-2015 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ill be honest, as soon as I saw the word "quantum physics " my brain flashed to "the secret", my bullshit detector actually blew up from overload, and my eye-to-brain signal tripped its circuit breaker. My lifetime bullshit allotment is already overflowing on that topic so the aliens installed the breaker to prevent further messes on the floor.

The worlds NOT a holo deck ??? No **** sherlocks, they needed a university and a study to figure that out ? More edukations well spent.

And these people see themselves as intellectual and leaders ? We are ****ed.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 12-06-2015).]

pokeyfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2015 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:

wonder how much that cost us..

Guess they need more.LOL

Originally posted by rinselberg:

They're thinking about how to proceed with additional Holometer test runs.

[This message has been edited by pokeyfiero (edited 12-06-2015).]

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2015 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are getting other kinds of experimental results from the Holometer.

The Holometer experiment, based at the Department of Energy's Fermilab, is sensitive to gravitational waves at frequencies in the range of a million cycles per second. . . .

This unique sensitivity allows the Holometer to look for exotic sources that could not otherwise be found. These include tiny black holes and cosmic strings, both possible phenomena from the early universe that scientists expect to produce high-frequency gravitational waves. Tiny black holes could be less than a meter across and orbit each other a million times per second; cosmic strings are loops in space-time that vibrate at the speed of light. . . .

The Holometer team spent five years building the apparatus and minimizing noise sources to prepare for experimentation. Now the Holometer is taking data continuously, and with an hour's worth of data, physicists were able to confirm that there are no high-frequency gravitational waves at the magnitude where they were searching.

The absence of a signal provides valuable information about our universe. Although this result does not prove whether the exotic objects exist, it has eliminated the region of the universe where they could be present.

"It means that if there are primordial cosmic string loops or tiny black hole binaries, they have to be far away," Hogan said. "It puts a limit on how much of that stuff can be out there."

With results like this, "we would be crazy" not to use some of the federal budget to support this Holometer research.

I guess.

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/tod...5/today15-04-09.html

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 12-06-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock