Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Are Harbor Freight generators junk? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Are Harbor Freight generators junk? by 2.5
Started on: 10-19-2015 08:19 PM
Replies: 42 (901 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 10-22-2015 06:21 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll have to see about that, I guess I need to price out the set-up ( switch, direct wire with outlets, etc) before getting a generator.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-22-2015).]

IP: Logged
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Thats kinda why I'm not sure.

I know engines by Honda are good for example. Briggs yes.
I dont know the guts of generators so much, or what is prone to problems.

HF generator engines are Predator lines, which are one of the best Honda clones, Lifan is also fairly decent. A lot of parts will interchange, so much that they had to change the design slightly. Crank has a different taper for example, but you can put a Honda crank in. Heads interchange from what I understand. Honda case has better fit and finish, but that really only matters when you are trying to get 15-20hp out of a 6.5hp motor.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May not be house code, but you can buy a transfer switch at an RV dealer for less than $200. I put one on my RV. Landline power goes in one side, generator in the other. I just flip the switch to whichever one I want to use at the time. All you have to do is insure that incoming power cant combine with the generator power at any time...one or the other. One buddys Prevost bus switches automaticly. If landline loses power, it automaticly turns on the generator. If it comes back on, the generator shuts off. He doesnt have to do anything. He does flip a switch that shuts all off for storage or if he wants to run off only batteries.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock