Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  after 6 1/2 decades, now it begins, this, the fall and winter of my discontent. (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
after 6 1/2 decades, now it begins, this, the fall and winter of my discontent. by maryjane
Started on: 09-24-2015 08:33 PM
Replies: 192 (3093 views)
Last post by: Flamberge on 10-17-2015 01:15 PM
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear he's doing OK.
IP: Logged

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear he got through it OK. Now each day will get a little better for you.
Jason88Notchie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don, here's to a speedy recovery! And I'm lookinf forward to your NFL picks this week!
blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: Good News!!
Per Jane this morning, Don is scheduled to start his re-hab (my words) this morning, they will be getting him up and making him walk around. He is expected to be in the hospital for a week and then a 4 to 6 week recovery. Jane was just getting ready to go back to the hospital to be there for him. Told her that she also needed to take care of herself while she's helping him get along.

Having been in the hospital a few times this year, I know how boring life is there so, I fully expect to see Don posting some of his wisdom on the forum just as soon as they let him have his lap top. I've already asked Don to take pictures of all his pretty care givers.

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy to hear they feel Don can start getting out of bed for therapy. Hope all goes well for him and that he is a quick healer.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

I've already asked Don to take pictures of all his pretty care givers.

Pictures of his pretty care givers are fine. Pictures of his incisions are not fine.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn, I didn't know there was anything wrong MJ... hope you get better soon!
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the updates, Ron! I just found this thread...Don's already had his surgery, and it sounds like he's doing well. Don, good thoughts headed out your way. I have NO doubt that you'll be back to the old routine in no time!
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the updates! Glad your heart took a lickin' and kept on... Pumping blood
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get Well Soon!
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-30-2015 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
at least you are 65 now, not 30 years ago..
good luck.. you'll be fine..
what you are going thorugh killed my grandpa.... but that was 35 years ago, compaired to today, it was the stone age..

prayers coming..
so your not super man.. who knew
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get well soon.
I guess you have some time now to learn to play the guitar
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: Just spoke with Don!!!!

The phone rang a few minutes ago and when I looked at my cell, I was surprised to see Don's name. Well I thought, this must be Jane. (She's a great lady and is fun to talk to.) But, low and behold, it was the man himself!! We talked for a short time, his voice was stronger than I remember for a long time. He said he was sore as hell and has discovered that he isn't as wise as some would give him credit for but, he knew one thing for sure, gett'n old ain't for sissies. Said they kept making him get up and walk.

Was a short conversation, he tires easily but, wanted you all to know that he's growing stronger and should be back with us in a short time.

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very good to hear. We knew he would be OK.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually sounds like he's doing great, considering. I had similar surgery years back, doctors spent 8 hour carving me up, ICU for 3 full days, and don't remember a damn thing - I just keep pushing my morphine button. Spent 7 days in general care after ICU, then insisted they let me go home, what a mistake that was. After I got home I couldn't take enough pain killers !!! Took me a full year before I began to feel normal again.

Hang in there Don, it gets better.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

X2
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2015 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

UPDATE: Just spoke with Don!!!!

The phone rang a few minutes ago and when I looked at my cell, I was surprised to see Don's name. Well I thought, this must be Jane. (She's a great lady and is fun to talk to.) But, low and behold, it was the man himself!! We talked for a short time, his voice was stronger than I remember for a long time. He said he was sore as hell and has discovered that he isn't as wise as some would give him credit for but, he knew one thing for sure, gett'n old ain't for sissies. Said they kept making him get up and walk.

Was a short conversation, he tires easily but, wanted you all to know that he's growing stronger and should be back with us in a short time.

It Is Alive !

See Don we said you would make it through this, the pain goes away very, very, very slowly, well it gets less and less painful gradually at least. You want to talk about pain Don, a few days after I got home from mine 2 of Melanie's cats were chasing each other around the house, bouncing off of furniture and I was laying on the couch without my pillow. See where this is headed? Anyway one of the cats decided to jump off the floor and onto my chest and then springboard off my chest and kept going.

Talk about pain, think of the last time you sneezed or cough and multiply it by 10, if I could have got off the couch I think I would have found a gun a shot the dam thing. The walking is normal they made me do it as well, so many laps around the floor, do all you can do at that. The sooner you are able to walk so much they will let you go home, as they are sure you have no problems, infection and such. As far as being smart I used to get a physical every time I changed companies working construction, sometimes that would be 2 or 3 times a year and they never caught mine. So don't feel to bad, sometimes there are no warning signs for the doctor to catch. Plus my symptoms were never like any they associated with a heart attack, pain shooting down both legs and I ended up having to lay on the ground until the pain and numbness went away, I am lucky I didn't die in a field somewhere fixing fences.

The worst is over, well the first few days are the worst as far as pain goes anyway, Unless you have a cat jump on your chest anyway.

I think the pain got less and less the longer I was home but it still took over a month before I was pain free and even then if I bumped my chest I would cringe in pain, but then you are no stranger to pain now are you.

Now get off your ass and do some laps or they ain't never going to let you go home.

Glad to hear you are out of surgery and up and walking, its good for you. Now stop wining and go do some laps !

Steve

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2015 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2015 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is Don walking the halls yet?

Just a hop-skip and a jump from hall walker to mall walker!

Bump for any news.

HAGO!
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2015 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

Bump for any news.

HAGO!

Ayup that's what they had me doing, so many laps around the Wal Mart Supercenter down the street. I just used a shopping cart instead of a walker, still do at times when my back is killing me.

Come on Don get out of that hell hole hospital and back to work ! the pain does get less soon enough and the more you walk the better off you are. Because after you get home then the fun begins, you have to go to therapy and they are going to put the monitor back on you and have you do the treadmill thing as well as bikes and weights. It will be just like home.

Steve
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2015 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very glad to hear things went well with the surgery and that he's recovering.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2015 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jane sent me a text, she had a picture to share but, I don't know how to post on this forum and not sure I want to see it anyway but, she says he's doing better.

I can just hear that floor nurse telling that Marine to get off his ass and walk the hall. Not a doubt in my mind he'd be on his feet and moving.

------------------
Ron

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2015 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I can just hear that floor nurse telling that Marine to get off his ass and walk the hall. Not a doubt in my mind he'd be on his feet and moving.

Is this the nurse?

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2015 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19765 posts
Member since Mar 2009

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Ayup that's what they had me doing, so many laps around the Wal Mart Supercenter down the street. I just used a shopping cart instead of a walker, still do at times when my back is killing me.

Steve

So, that was you on the "people of walmart" site.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2015 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now, what to do with all these trees....He will not be home for a few days, hehehehe
Such great news! So, is he going to walk outside to have a smoke?
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2015 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Is this the nurse?

Reminds of this scene, bet Don will appreciate this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faeEnoYcT7w

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 10-02-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2015 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

Now, what to do with all these trees....He will not be home for a few days, hehehehe

In honor of Don's quadruple bypass, I think I'll buy four trees this weekend to plant.

$10 trees on offer from Vancouver park board

VANCOUVER -- Looking for a cheap tree to spruce up your yard?

If so, the Vancouver park board is selling a variety of young trees on Saturday for $10 each to help residents grow the city’s urban forest, which has declined during the past two decades...

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2015 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am very late to this rodeo, .
Don, my best to you, and, thank you. You have been an inspiration to me, you have taught an old dog new tricks.

My day is coming, I am 5 1/2 decades knowing that. I am oil field unemployed but I am working, steady. Self employed. Making $600.00 or so a week. Paying my own taxes, social security, blah blah blah, ... I just can't afford ObamaCare, .

Do you need any help ?
BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2015 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don I hope you recover soon. A good friend of ours just had his second bypass at age 82 And he's doing great.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

Bump for any news.

HAGO!

Yes, I am walking,........tho not far or very fast. "Once around the block" as they call here. The muscular activity itself is not at all difficult, but keeping my lungs expanding is very hard.
The lastof the drainage tubes were pulled out today along with the tiny wires for the heart/lung pacemaker, leaving just one "line" in should they need to get something in fast, and now is the chance to point out the egg on my face---I am now 'manscaped' over 80% of my skin.

I can't say it was terribly painful in any one or two event aspect, .... more like torture by 1000 little cuts, pokes, pulls and prods.

And yes too, there are many beautiful women caregivers here, but none hold a candle to the one that will take me back home sometime next week. She's a trooper like none other.

A thanks to each and every one of you here, for your prayers, kind words, encouragement, and advice.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see ya post!
carnut122

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

..., and now is the chance to point out the egg on my face---I am now 'manscaped' over 80% of my skin.

Please don't post pics of that!

Welcome back amongst us!
Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, I am walking,........tho not far or very fast. "Once around the block" as they call here. The muscular activity itself is not at all difficult, but keeping my lungs expanding is very hard.
The lastof the drainage tubes were pulled out today along with the tiny wires for the heart/lung pacemaker, leaving just one "line" in should they need to get something in fast, and now is the chance to point out the egg on my face---I am now 'manscaped' over 80% of my skin.

I can't say it was terribly painful in any one or two event aspect, .... more like torture by 1000 little cuts, pokes, pulls and prods.

And yes too, there are many beautiful women caregivers here, but none hold a candle to the one that will take me back home sometime next week. She's a trooper like none other.

A thanks to each and every one of you here, for your prayers, kind words, encouragement, and advice.

Hoorah!

Fast and far don't matter at this point. Regular will lead to fast and far.

Yea, all those tubes! I remember when they let me see my wife for just a couple minutes right after surgery....man...those tubes! Definitely puts one in mind of the borg....or something akin to that...did me anyway.

Glad they pulled them for you.

Hair'll grow back and you'll shed the appliances eventually.

Slow and steady wins this race.

Good to see you back in action.

You got you're focus right too!

Keep on keepin' on and let us know how things are goin' as you're able and inclined.

HAGO!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You may not be quite so appreciative when you discover that during your absence from home, we've had your property re-forested.

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-03-2015).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Terrific to see you make a post Don, liked your description of the pain which is really spot on, just keep your fingers crossed that sneezing or cough doesn't enter the picture (makes your knees buckle it's so painfully intense).

Wishing you a speedy recovery, but don't push yourself too fast.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About time you got back online, Now do a lap and get back to work torturing trees !

Glad to hear you made it threw the first few days after the surgery, that really is the hardest part and most painful, as long as a cat doesn't jump on your chest when you get home.

I am wondering why you aren't chasing those cute nurses around on those laps, I am sure if you tip one of them they would be happy to oblige you.

Now go do another lap before bedtime !

Some encouragement.

https://youtu.be/5TNhS81w4bM

Just in case that wasn't enough to get your sorry ass doing another lap.

https://youtu.be/DEiWXz3BkpA

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 10-03-2015).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Don for the check in and thank you Jane for the gap. It's good to see you made it through the surgery and are doing good so far. I know what you mean by the "walk around the block". I remember after my surgery when I was 10, and learning to walk again, how just getting from my bed to the rooms door and back was a praise worthy accomplishment. Then it was Halfway down the hall, both ways down the hall and then around the block. Keep up the healing and you will continue to be in my prayers.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Khw

11139 posts
Member since Jun 2008

Originally posted by California Kid:

Terrific to see you make a post Don, liked your description of the pain which is really spot on, just keep your fingers crossed that sneezing or cough doesn't enter the picture (makes your knees buckle it's so painfully intense).

Wishing you a speedy recovery, but don't push yourself too fast.

Wow, cringe worthy memories. I remember once they switched me off the liquid diet and back to solid foods... The first time I had to take a, well lets just say it felt like I was trying to crap out my spine! Man did that hurt.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock