Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Please turn your phone 90 degrees (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Please turn your phone 90 degrees by Tony Kania
Started on: 06-10-2015 05:16 PM
Replies: 43 (1130 views)
Last post by: Khw on 06-15-2015 06:57 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

As an 'artist', I equate photos and videos...just one is moving and the other is not. Composure is still the same.

It's not the same at all. Photographs are an extension (a technical evolution if you will) of paintings which go back thousands of years. The first "canvas" was the wall of a cave. There is no restraint to frame size, shape or orientation. On the other hand, film and video need to fit the medium of delivery.

If a model in a bikini is running thru a field and off to the side in landscape mode is a broke down tractor or a fat guy masturbating, and you like that, have at it.

That's gotta be about the weirdest reasoning behind shooting video in portrait mode that I've ever read.

Video that's being shot to view on conventional monitors and/or TV needs to be shot in landscape mode. Period. It's up to the videographer to frame the shot correctly to avoid distractions, and that's certainly not done by turning the camera sideways... at least not by anyone who has a clue what they're doing.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-15-2015).]

IP: Logged
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I shoot my videos with a video camera that does the old 4:3 frame. I wont use a wide angle shot except maybe for something like a car race where you naturally want landscape mode. Landscape is great for open area shots of anything that is a landscape. Again, I wont do landscape mode on a standing model ever...unless shes standing by something I also want in the shot like maybe a car or sign. I did photos and videos semi professionally for years just as a supplement to working on cars. Lots of my photos ended up in ads, business cards, wedding albums and calendars (Hooters annual one for ex).,,so I know a little about what im doing.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 06-15-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wont use a wide angle shot except maybe for something like a car race where you naturally want landscape mode.

What does "wide angle" have to do with any of this? A "wide angle shot" can be used in landscape or portrait mode.

I did photos and videos semi professionally for years just as a supplement to working on cars. Lots of my photos ended up in ads, business cards, wedding albums and calendars (Hooters annual one for ex).,,so I know a little about what im doing.

Your photos may be fine... but nobody shoots video professionally in portrait mode. Nobody. They'd be laughed right out of the business.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-15-2015).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I shoot my videos with a video camera that does the old 4:3 frame. I wont use a wide angle shot except maybe for something like a car race where you naturally want landscape mode. Landscape is great for open area shots of anything that is a landscape. Again, I wont do landscape mode on a standing model ever...unless shes standing by something I also want in the shot like maybe a car or sign. I did photos and videos semi professionally for years just as a supplement to working on cars. Lots of my photos ended up in ads, business cards, wedding albums and calendars (Hooters annual one for ex).,,so I know a little about what im doing.

So what your saying is you do shoot your video in wider than higher mode. 4:3 is not portrait, portrait is always higher than wide. 3:5, 5:7, 8:10 and so on. Can't you see the difference when 4:3 has a larger first than second number and portrait sizes have a larger second than first number?

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 06-15-2015).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock