Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Interpretation of a verse - Broken off from "There is a God...."

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Interpretation of a verse - Broken off from "There is a God...." by Patrick's Dad
Started on: 05-22-2015 10:18 PM
Replies: 28 (488 views)
Last post by: Formula88 on 05-30-2015 02:08 PM
Patrick's Dad

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A question/statement was put out there in a thread;

Originally posted by Wichita
But I know God hates the person who does not love his wife and divorces. According to Malachi 2:16.

He was immediately challenged on this, as "his own" interpretation of a verse. While this may be, it's also important to consider that some translations, for several reasons, from errors in translation to oversimplification of a concept that is otherwise difficult to explain in English (There are several Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek words that could be described this way). In fact, here are several translations of the verse in question:

Malachi 2:16

NET© 2:16 “I hate divorce,” 1 says the Lord God of Israel, “and the one who is guilty of violence,” 2 says the Lord who rules over all. “Pay attention to your conscience, and do not be unfaithful.”

NIV© 2:16 "I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel, "and I hate a man’s covering himself with violence as well as with his garment," says the LORD Almighty. So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith.

NASB© 2:16 "For I hate divorce," says the LORD, the God of Israel, "and him who covers his garment with wrong," says the LORD of hosts. "So take heed to your spirit, that you do not deal treacherously."

ESV© 2:16 For the man who does not love his wife but divorces her, says the Lord, the God of Israel, covers his garment with violence, says the Lord of hosts. So guard yourselves in your spirit, and do not be faithless.

NLT© 2:16 “For I hate divorce!” says the Lord, the God of Israel. “To divorce your wife is to overwhelm her with cruelty,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies. “So guard your heart; do not be unfaithful to your wife.”

MSG© 2:16 "I hate divorce," says the God of Israel. God-of-the-Angel-Armies says, "I hate the violent dismembering of the ’one flesh’ of marriage." So watch yourselves. Don’t let your guard down. Don’t cheat.

BBE© 2:16 For I am against the putting away of a wife, says the Lord, the God of Israel, and against him who is clothed with violent acts, says the Lord of armies: so give thought to your spirit and do not be false in your acts.

NKJV© 2:16 "For the LORD God of Israel says That He hates divorce, For it covers one’s garment with violence," Says the LORD of hosts. "Therefore take heed to your spirit, That you do not deal treacherously."

NRSV© 2:16 For I hate divorce, says the LORD, the God of Israel, and covering one’s garment with violence, says the LORD of hosts. So take heed to yourselves and do not be faithless.

KJV© 2:16 For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away : for [one] covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously . {that he...: or, if he hate her, put her away} {putting...: Heb. to put away}

So, a single translation may support the original thought that God could "hate" a person under certain circumstances, however, a parallel reading would show otherwise. This does not take into account the context of the chapter itself, much less the witness of the rest of the Bible, not the least of which is John 3:16, which would indicate that God loves everyone, from Mother Theresa to Adolph Hitler, and provided His Son as sacrifice for all who accept. We can guess, of these two historical figures, who did and who didn't.

So, if we'd like to discuss this further, then let's have at it!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Without having read all of the different versions... (I'm not a bible scholar anyway, so it really doesn't matter to me. But thanks for your time and effort.)

I was always taught "Hate the action, but love the person." Not that that's an easy thing to do.
I was also taught that God's love is unconditional. For everyone. Works for me.

And no... I won't defend that teaching against any perceived discrepancies that people may feel like citing.
Believe what you like. I don't care. I will do the same.
Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I understand where you're coming from, and, yes, He allowed the sacrifice of His Son unconditionally, so that any who are willing to accept are/will be forgiven.

And yes, love the sinner and hate the sin is right in line with Biblical teaching.

As to this thread, while I am unwavering in my faith, I do enjoy the intellectual exercise in the discussion of apparent contrasts between verses or in the various translations. I think that, in this case, there is illumination to be had in the comparison of the differing versions.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Super important point. To take into context the chapter and the rest of the Bible.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick's Dad:

I understand where you're coming from, and, yes, He allowed the sacrifice of His Son unconditionally, so that any who are willing to accept are/will be forgiven.

And yes, love the sinner and hate the sin is right in line with Biblical teaching.

As to this thread, while I am unwavering in my faith, I do enjoy the intellectual exercise in the discussion of apparent contrasts between verses or in the various translations. I think that, in this case, there is illumination to be had in the comparison of the differing versions.

We don't all have the same definition of sin. I go by the 'no harm done' theology not any religious doctrine. No harm done, no sin.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

We don't all have the same definition of sin. I go by the 'no harm done' theology not any religious doctrine. No harm done, no sin.

But that raises the question: How do you define "no harm done?"

Is this to others? What about yourself? What about cases in which you don't realize that you've caused harm? What about a personal attitude?

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

But that raises the question: How do you define "no harm done?"

No blood, no foul?
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But I know God hates the person who does not love his wife and divorces. According to Malachi 2:16.

I don't think I've ever heard of God hating a person before.

Not wanting to start another thread, would anyone like to tell what they think the central, overall theme of the Bible is?
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We don't all have the same definition of "harm' either.
Perhaps you just want to do as *you* please as long as *you* can convince *yourself* that it didn't "harm" anyone.
Very convenient that *you* get to decide when there is "harm" and when there isn't.
People can convince themselves of almost anything for awhile I suppose.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 05-26-2015).]

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
are we still allow concubines ?
you know like the old T guys did ?
they use to throw them out with out GOD getting upset [Hagar+ Ismail ]
I guess throwing out unwanted kids is ok too or you can just stone them [if drunk or disrespectful ]
I guess slave girls are out do to local laws
but bible laws were ok with slaves

are extra wives ok or not in addition to the old one ?
how many did Solomon have a 1000 or so ?

god likes bad marriages to continue ?

I think tali-ban and ISIS get up to 3
but unsure on concubines
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:

are we still allow concubines ?
they use to throw them out with out GOD getting upset [Hagar+ Ismail ]
I guess throwing out unwanted kids is ok too or you can just stone them [if drunk or disrespectful ]
I guess slave girls are out do to local laws
but bible laws were ok with slaves

are extra wives ok or not in addition to the old one ?
how many did Solomon have a 1000 or so ?

god likes bad marriages to continue ?

I think tali-ban and ISIS get up to 3
but unsure on concubines

Are *those* the sort of questions that are the first to come into *your* head rayb?
How many women and slave girls you can have and if you can dispose of children?
Don't you find that sort of thinking troubling?

Interesting Old Testament questions anyway.
What are the New Testament answers?

Trying to make a moral equivalency argument about Christians and Muslim extremist terrorists can only begin IF you understand the theology, otherwise you just end up looking silly like you did there.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 05-26-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
ray b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Are *those* the sort of questions that are the first to come into *your* head rayb?
How many women and slave girls you can have and if you can dispose of children?
Don't you find that sort of thinking troubling?

Interesting Old Testament questions anyway.
What are the New Testament answers?

Trying to make a moral equivalency argument about Christians and Muslim extremist terrorists can only begin IF you understand the theology, otherwise you just end up looking silly like you did there.

can't or will not answer ?

all the thoughts are right out of the bible
no need to make up stuff when the book is loaded with odd ideas

and moral equivalency argument about Christians and Muslim extremist terrorists
if you credit the christians with resent reforms they get a bit ahead
but over history they are about neck and neck for BS in the name of god
and lets not forget jim jones or david K as end timers just like the ISIS nuts are

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

[This message has been edited by ray b (edited 05-26-2015).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You seem confused. Christians doing bad things in the name of God aren't really Christians. Muslims killing in the name of Allah has alway been and always will be a part of their religion practiced by true believers.
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

We don't all have the same definition of "harm' either.
Perhaps you just want to do as *you* please as long as *you* can convince *yourself* that it didn't "harm" anyone.
Very convenient that *you* get to decide when there is "harm" and when there isn't.
People can convince themselves of almost anything for awhile I suppose.

If I have to define 'harm' then everyone else has to define 'sin'. I find that my goal of no harm is far more better for me than going by someone elses definition of 'sin' For example when I was growing up in the Southern baptist church dancing was considered a sin. I don't know if it still is or if it was only in the church that I went to. I don't buy lots of religions versions of sin. I don't think that 'no harm' is all that hard to figure out. The 'golden rule' is a pretty good guide.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The 'golden rule' is a pretty good guide.

Yes it is.
The ethic of reciprocity oft quoted to children; "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

It's a paraphrase of Jesus "Sermon on the Mount" as told to us in Matthew 7:12

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."

Restated in the Bible in one form or another over and over again:

Luke 6:31 - And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

Galatians 5:14 - For all the law is fulfilled in one word, [even] in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

James 2:8 - If ye fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

Mark 12:31 - And the second [is] like, [namely] this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Since the "Golden Rule" has already been defined for you and well codified in religion, (to be fair, not only in Christianity), perhaps logic would tell you that sin (harm) has also already been defined for you as well?

Or perhaps you still just want to do as *you* please as long as *you* can convince *yourself* that it didn't "harm" anyone and *you * are free to define harm and sin as *you* please? .......What a great way to fool yourself into thinking that you will never face any consequences of your own acts.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 05-27-2015).]

ray b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

You seem confused. Christians doing bad things in the name of God aren't really Christians. Muslims killing in the name of Allah has alway been and always will be a part of their religion practiced by true believers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

there are no true christians

hide witch hide
the good folk come to burn yee
their keen enjoyment
hid behind a gothic mask of duty

jefferson starship blows against the empire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEdPfHBXqNc

[This message has been edited by ray b (edited 05-27-2015).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ray, I'm sorry you're lost. I'm sorry you have a skewed view of what Christianity is. My wife and I will pray for you.
The literal definition of Christian is Christ like, or little Christ. It was used as derogatory term to mock followers of Jesus but it defined a belief in Christ so well Christians didn't reject the name.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Christians, for the most part, are good people. Maybe one day I will be a Christian, who knows.
Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

Christians, for the most part, are good people. Maybe one day I will be a Christian, who knows.

I would like to see that.
fogglethorpe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 158
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fogglethorpeSend a Private Message to fogglethorpeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every verse in the Bible has context. The verse cited here seems to indicate that God hates the action, not the person. There are dozens of verses throughout the old and new testaments that speak of God's love for humanity. Here is a strong statement from Romans 8:38,39 NIV:

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

fogglethorpe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 158
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fogglethorpeSend a Private Message to fogglethorpeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fogglethorpe

4828 posts
Member since Jul 2001

Originally posted by Wichita:

Hi Wichita..I hope so, and only because I like seeing people find the joy that is possible when they become Christians. For me, Christianity hinges on the words of Jesus in Matthew 22:34-40:

"Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question:

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Wichita..I like to imagine what kind of world we would have if everyone followed those two commandments. Wishing you all the best.

[This message has been edited by fogglethorpe (edited 05-28-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
ray b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

Ray, I'm sorry you're lost. I'm sorry you have a skewed view of what Christianity is. My wife and I will pray for you.
The literal definition of Christian is Christ like, or little Christ. It was used as derogatory term to mock followers of Jesus but it defined a belief in Christ so well Christians didn't reject the name.

not lost
just realized the scam that is religion early in life
I attended sunday school until age 15

''I have seen their ways too often for my liking''

serious question
what church does the claimed holy ghost attend/lead/control ?
as I see lots of different cults
but not god in any of them

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

[This message has been edited by ray b (edited 05-28-2015).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

serious question

All of them.
ray b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

All of them.

jim jone's and david K's too????
catholic's during the Inquisitions ?????????????

more likely none of them
as I see no evidence of a spirit guiding any of them
or simply even ever telling them NO DON'T DO THAT
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You're actually making a incredibly valid point. The biblical church is the body of believers, not a organization. Having a meeting place and maintaining a building is something you do as a community but preaching a good christian tithes to a organization is not biblical.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jim jone's and david K's too????
catholic's during the Inquisitions ?????????????

more likely none of them
as I see no evidence of a spirit guiding any of them
or simply even ever telling them NO DON'T DO THAT

He oversees and loves all of his children, even the errant ones.
Even lefties!
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even nut-cons?
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one. It's fine to be proud of it. But please don't whip it out and wave it around in public."

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 05-30-2015).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May I ask you three questions, Ray?

1. Do you understand the difference between the Old Testament and New Testament and why they are separate?

if you credit the christians with resent reforms they get a bit ahead
but over history they are about neck and neck for BS in the name of god

2. Do you live in history or "resent" [sic] times?

and finally,
3. Do you actually want an answer to your questions or would you prefer to just argue?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock