UN warns Carbon Emissions Need to Be Zero by 2100 by 2.5
Started on: 11-04-2014 11:22 AM
Replies: 32 (465 views)
Last post by: Pyrthian on 11-06-2014 04:15 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"MOSCOW, November 2 (RIA Novosti) - Carbon emissions need to be brought down to zero by 2100 if the optimal warming level is to be maintained, a new report published Sunday by the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) stated.

“To keep a good chance of staying below 2 degrees Celsius, and at manageable costs, our emissions should drop by 40 to 70 percent globally between 2010 and 2050, falling to zero or below by 2100,” Rajendra Pachauri, Chair of the IPCC said in the Synthesis Report, adding that it was a “window of opportunity”.

According to the report, 0.6 percent of the world gross domestic product will need to be annually contributed in order to achieve this target."
http://en.ria.ru/world/2014...-UN-Panel-Warns.html
-

Zero percent. Nil. Zilch. Nada.
Better get efficient at being efficient...

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-04-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FlyinFieros

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
User Banned

Report this Post11-04-2014 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
Zero percent. Nil. Zilch. Nada.

The investment community is worried about fossil fuels becoming stranded assets. The risk of investment is climbing.

Better get efficient at being efficient...

Better tell that to the right folks.

[This message has been edited by FlyinFieros (edited 11-04-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No emissions, as a non-expert I'm thinking a logical work around for this seeming impossibility is some type of filter to catch emissions. Is it possible to get to zero? Zero emission power plants, transportation, heat/ac, waste disposal, food growth and processing?

Another one, pump Co2 into space?
:
"This week's issue of The Economist reports on an interesting scheme proposed by Alfred Y. Wong, professor of physics and director of the Plasma Physics Laboratory at the University of California, Los Angeles, to rid the Earth of carbon dioxide emissions. Wong posits that a conveyor built in the Arctic could take advantage of the Earth's magnetic field to expel emissions into outer space."
http://www.treehugger.com/c...lems-into-space.html
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So they're going to outlaw fire?
Unless there's a big disclaimer about the sources of "carbon" that they're referring to, they're going to have to outlaw all forms of combustion, not to mention all animals that exhale or expel CO2.

Stop cutting down rain forests. That would be a good start. So outlaw the use of any wood products.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think about what they are asking for and then consider the fact that it is impossible.This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Will we ever see a end to this fraud?
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

According to the report, 0.6 percent of the world gross domestic product will need to be annually contributed in order to achieve this target."

that is a mighty mighty small investment.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Carbon emissions need to be brought down to zero by 2100 "

Let me know how that works out. Actually, I'll be dead and I won't give a damn.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was also wondering about this "falling to zero or below".
Below 0%. Does that mean somehow producing the opposite of carbon emissions?
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

"Carbon emissions need to be brought down to zero by 2100 "

Let me know how that works out. Actually, I'll be dead and I won't give a damn.

Not about emissions, but you will still vote, right a1?

[This message has been edited by heybjorn (edited 11-04-2014).]

kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

that is a mighty mighty small investment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_world_product
$430 billion per year is a small investment? Or am I understanding the report wrong?
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwagner:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_world_product
$430 billion per year is a small investment? Or am I understanding the report wrong?

out of $716,000 billion/year, yes it is.

heck - $430 billion/year is less than JUST the USA threw away in the middle east on its "oil wars"
so - in that context, yes, it is a great deal. not only a great deal - but a excellent investment.
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:
- but a excellent investment.

An investment in , ?
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Humans may be required to have zero carbon emissions by 2100, but who's going to tell the volcanoes that they need to clean up their act? Will the states like California, who have a big wildfire problem be made to pay fines to the UN? I jest now, but who knows anymore.

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

Humans may be required to have zero carbon emissions by 2100, but who's going to tell the volcanoes that they need to clean up their act? Will the states like California, who have a big wildfire problem be made to pay fines to the UN? I jest now, but who knows anymore.

In the U.S. I'm assuming the tax would be raised via state based on estimated carbon emissions amount per capita maybe even per county?
In lesser developed countries taking away a fire to cook with could be rough. Or even here if we are rationing from some sort of clean energy power grid...?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-04-2014).]

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad they're keeping it realistic,
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In the U.S. I'm assuming the tax would be raised via state based on estimated carbon emissions amount per capita maybe even per county?
In lesser developed countries taking away a fire to cook with could be rough. Or even here if we are rationing from some sort of clean energy power grid...?

Lesser developed nations will be exempt, of course. The US will pick up the slack by reducing emissions below zero.

“To keep a good chance of staying below 2 degrees Celsius, and at manageable costs, our emissions should drop by 40 to 70 percent globally between 2010 and 2050, falling to zero or below by 2100,” Rajendra Pachauri, Chair of the IPCC said in the Synthesis Report, adding that it was a “window of opportunity”.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And THAT, is what this is really all about. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
The sku-is-falling emission reductions to zero is just a ploy to get the 430 Billion $--and it always has been. (That $430 Billion is an annual installment untill (presumably zero emission or 2100) .
$430 Billion/yr for the next 85 years = ?

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 11-04-2014).]

avengador1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Not about emissions, but you will still vote, right a1? "

Only as a democrat then.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This AGW crap is already dying. It will be long dead by 2100.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
By that time frame people will be worried about the new ice age and wishing they had coal, oil and natural gas to burn to add to the global warming to overcome the new ice age.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd better lay off the chilli...
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

Volcanos? Or the rapid expansion of fossil fuels that started about 150 years ago with coal-fired power plants and the first oil wells?

Geologists are still trying to get a better handle on greenhouse gas emissions from volcanic activity, but so far, all the reports that I have seen are pointing away from volcanic activity as a significant factor in recent global warming.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Insignificant isn't good enough--it has to be zero or we're all doomed.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still all scare mongering. They want our money folks. That's the name of the game.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At some point think the UN will be enforcers of it?
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If they have their way, yes.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Enforce it with what? Empty threats?
You ever see the blue beanies in action?
They couldn't fight their way into or back out of the little town in my location on their best day or our worst.
They are observers and peacekeepers, meaning, "where the shooting begins, we end.".

Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be doing my part to save the planet from global warming climate change.

I pledge that by 2100 my personal Carbon emissions will be at or below 0%

I promise I'll be doing my part!

Brad
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

I'll be doing my part to save the planet from global warming climate change.

I pledge that by 2100 my personal Carbon emissions will be at or below 0%

I promise I'll be doing my part!

Brad

Same here, but I suspect that I'll be meeting the 2050 deadline.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suppose our own gov would need to try and enforce, starting with ultra taxation?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think, that the gvt would begin (and has already begun) enforcement by limiting the amt of emissions in every conceivable piece of machinery and endeavor.
From lawnmowers to BBQ grill use---to cow fart recovery bags.....
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
... to cow fart recovery bags.....

To be fair Don, when can I get mine, ?
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I suppose our own gov would need to try and enforce, starting with ultra taxation?

why for? we already are throwing that amount away in just the USA in the middle east oil wars.
and that achieves nothing. just end that, and nothing new is needed.
I would think making the middle east irrelevant worldwide would be WAY more cost effective than playing the wack-a-mole with the towels heads.

the worst part is, this is nothing new, we would actually be done now, and for far less cost, had it not been for the Oil Czars.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock