Started on: 09-26-2014 10:58 AM
Replies: 2 (74 views)
Last post by: TheDigitalAlchemist on 09-26-2014 11:49 AM
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We watched this last week @ the MakerFaire. It was very good. It's about a few different startups venturing into the realm of 3D Printing. But, it's less about printing, and more about the passion and sacrifice and betrayal and all thoat goes with being involved startups and campaigns and such things. interesting to watch what happens to Bre and Maxim, and those around them. it's also interesting watching how different Bre and Maxim are, personality-wise...
If you have Netflix, please watch it. (it should be available this evening or tomorrow morning)

There's a few 'adult' words in it, but it is still very good for kids to watch.

The line near the end about Sacrifice really had an imact on me...

-------------------------------------

Heh, this is me in 2012 when I went to the Makerbot building (where they give the reallyreally quick tours in the documentary:

"I went there awhile ago and met w/ the "NerdHerder" for a networking position (Heh, that's their equivilent to a manager) But their network was only about twice the size of the one in my house...the job just wasn't there...but the tour was pretty yummy, I had to resist the urge to shed my clothes and just run around screaming "Yaa Yaa Yaaa!" "

Heh, there was a great deal of energy and excitement there when I went. they had about 30 employees.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Zeb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A guy I work with just left to go work for Makerbot. He should have fun there! I'm very jealous of your printer and visit to Maker Fair!
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Watch the movie. It's NOT The same company as it used to be. I"m not saying he won't live it there...it's just 'different'.
A a few of the folks I used to ocasionally chat with started being 'distant' around the time Bre left and Jenny took over. Especially Jenny. It's like they swapped her out with a machine.

Don't be jealous - this stuff isn't beyond your reach (That was one of the main reasons why we went to the faire - to grab families and do a 3 minute chat about the printer, how it workes, and just how accessible this stuff is. We did that 250 times in two days (we gave each family an info packet - we printed up 500 copies - 250 we left on the table for folks to grab, and 250 we handed out - 1 to each family. it was kinda exhausting! Some of the $ we made on the campaign ended up paying for the paper + ink )

And they are making Maker Faires all over now.

The printer we got only requires two tools - 1 allen wrench and your brain. Seriously - no other tools.

My son's next project is to get the printer online so other folks can connect to it and print an object and watch it print (via a webcam)
then we can ship it out to ya.
Here's a great book on Makers.

It's a great , quick read for parents and all adults. One line I enjoyed : "Creative adults are children who survived"

So anyway, watch the documentary and let me know what you thought of it.

and check out "pirates of silicon valley" if you get the chance - it's Bill Gates and Steve Jobs... they say it isn't historically accurate, , but it's got a similiar vibe...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock