Started on: 09-18-2014 02:37 PM
Replies: 14 (193 views)
Last post by: firstfiero on 09-21-2014 07:25 AM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-18-2014 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to upgrade my iPad in the next couple of days, and work will cover up to 300 bucks.

In that budget my choices are:

#1 Apple Ipad Mini 16Gb Wifi Tablet-Space Grey $279

#2 Apple Ipad 2 16Gb Wifi Tablet - Black $299

The upgrade has basically been forced by our O/S requirements (my iPad one wont run a lot of the newer apps on its O/S limit, I now need 7, but I can still recover a couple hundred bucks out of selling it)

What do you guys say, which one of those 2 choices is more likely to still be running current apps and updates a year from now.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 09-18-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post09-18-2014 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a trick question isn't it.. there is no better choice, they are all iOS devices...

EDIT : what you are really asking is what is better: 8" or 9.7".. that is up to the user as there is no 'universal' better.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 09-18-2014).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now THATS how to do an upgrade

I opted for the iPad Mini, new in apple box, 16 gig with O/S 8 already on it for $299.

I havent even finished syncing it with the old one, and already have that sold (I tossed in the portfolio and keyboard cases) for $250.

So, I am out-of-pocket 49 bucks (and tax) call it 75. When I walk into the office on Monday I pick up a cheque for $300 towards the upgrade.

LMAO, they just paid me $225 to get the latest hardware. Gotta love that.
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I opted for the iPad Mini, new in apple box, 16 gig with O/S 8 already on it for $299.

they just paid me $225 to get the latest hardware. Gotta love that.

Absolutely. Great.

Wondering what was it that shifted you toward the 8 inch instead of the 10 inch?
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post09-19-2014 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless portability was a huge concern personally i would have chosen the 9.7 ( Apple doesnt make a 10 inch, and while it sounds like one is splitting hairs, i have both sizes, among others, and there is a marked screen difference between 9.7 and 10...

Did it come with a wool iJacket?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2014 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spent so many years with a Playbook that the 10" never did feel right in my hands, too big and bulky both for use and to carry around. The mini is like going home, it feels natural and fits right into my binder-portfolio to carry, which frees up a hand (to smoke with ).
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post09-19-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I spent so many years with a Playbook that the 10" never did feel right in my hands, too big and bulky both for use and to carry around. The mini is like going home, it feels natural and fits right into my binder-portfolio to carry, which frees up a hand (to smoke with ).

For me 9" seems to be the best balance. ( tho as a disclaimer i am carrying a 10.1 now and my 9" is up on the shelf with the others, as I got a hell of a deal on a Note that i couldn't pass up.. love the pen.. )
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2014 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Did it come with a wool iJacket?

I didnt want a case, I am picking up one of these over the weekend http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA...fda9c97ecbc865c4en02

Which will put me back pretty much to the size and configuration I got used to with the Playbook. The ONLY reason I diched BB is they basically abandonded everybody (and especially their tablet users) once O/S10 came out. The attitude everywhere seemed to be "well you can upgrade, sorry about your luck on the tablet. Live with it"
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post09-19-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I didnt want a case

where is that 'whoosh' icon when you need it?

Wool comes from sheep.. iSheep...
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW, for the guys with iPad mini's---this Zagg keyboard is WELL worth the 80 bucks. Its actually got a metal back, not cheap plastic. The keys have a real feel to them, not like the cheap Rocketfish keyboards, and it stays "alive" even when the iPad is sleeping, just touch the spacebar to bring it alive again.

Plus, its not a case, just a cover. The iPad clips into a slot on it then it functions just like a laptop, limitless screen angles. None of this "put it in the slot-only-one-angle" stuff like most case bluetooth keyboards. It IS almost like having a little touchscreen Intell Atom 10.1" NetBook, except its 8" and its iO/S. Plus, I just tried it with the lights off in the room, and even in total darkness the backlit keyboard is perfectly useable. Lights on or off, it doesnt matter the setup works great.

I am gonna be liking this our next staff meeting

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 09-19-2014).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2014 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by frontal lobe:

Wondering what was it that shifted you toward the 8 inch instead of the 10 inch?

He couldn't handle ten inches. ;+)

PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

He couldn't handle ten inches. ;+)

Yeh, I had to have it reduced in size because 10 was just too much weight to carry around all the time, and every girl at a conference table was complaining it was too big and no other guy at the table had one that big, it was blocking their view.

BTW, Tony how is your 4.7" holding up to the task ????

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 09-19-2014).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Eh, it is not as much fun to play with. I would do more damage if I threw it at someone.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post09-20-2014 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeh, I had to have it reduced in size because 10 was just too much weight to carry around all the time, and every girl at a conference table was complaining it was too big and no other guy at the table had one that big, it was blocking their view.

BTW, Tony how is your 4.7" holding up to the task ????

Another 'whoosh event'?
firstfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 172
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm rocking the 2. I bought my wife the air for christmas and was stunned how fast it is. i seriously think I could get rid of my macbook air and just use that as my main device. The only thing I do on my 2 is watch video and surf the net a little on the couch so I haven't had a reason to upgrade.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock