Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Anyone here own a 2000 Chevy Venture? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone here own a 2000 Chevy Venture? by Xerces_Blackthorne
Started on: 09-17-2014 09:45 PM
Replies: 48 (475 views)
Last post by: Csjag on 09-26-2014 12:55 PM
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Best wishes to your dad.

Thanks Roger. I'm hoping for the best but I'm pretty cynical when it comes to the so called "medical professionals" that are doctors these days They said that they think they can get the tumor out of his brain and are pretty confident they can get it all, but they also said the same thing about the 3 different types of chemo for the lung cancer...

IP: Logged
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sold the Subaru today and picked up the van. Its not a minivan, its a MANivan

4 new lifters in it, still ticks but not nearly as loud/bad as it did when we picked it up last week. I'm going to try and Seafoam it (1/2 can through the intake, 1/2 can in the gas, and 3/4 of a can in the oil for about 100 miles) then change the oil to a heavier weight (10/30) full synthetic.

Anyone know if these have a BCM in them? I noticed it 2-3 times on the drive back last week, and once today...the gauges go funny and the digital odometer/oil change light box will light up (odometer will read 888888 across it and the MIL? box will show the battery light) for a few seconds as the gauge needles sweep back and forth. Its almost acting like an alternator problem, but I'm not having issues with battery charge, etc. I know the fuel gauge doesn't work until it hits about 1/4 tank and then its pretty much empty (level sender in the tank perhaps?).
Power mirrors won't adjust with the switch, etc. Just a handful of little annoying things honestly, which makes me wonder if it is a body control module or a shorted wire running to it (if said module is even on these vans)...

Also need to figure out why the fans aren't kicking on. Its not overheating and only gets to between 1/4 and 1/2 way on the temp gauge when fully warmed up, seems to be normal honestly. The fans don't even kick on when I turn the AC on.

Other than the minor electrical issues it runs out well honestly. I'll try and post up some photos and video of the tick.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think it has a BCM as my 2001 Aztek has one and I had to replace it once. It is located in the center console, under the shifter (access is via the side), on the Aztek. You can google Aztek BCM replacement and someone has instructions. (Not to say the Venture is exactly the same).
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
t does have a BCM and on my 2004 the fans kick on any time I turn on the ac.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Csjag

3170 posts
Member since Dec 2013
I would check to see if someone removed the thermostat, a lot of people do that when they have overheating issues then the vehicle runs too cold
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

Sold the Subaru today and picked up the van. Its not a minivan, its a MANivan

4 new lifters in it, still ticks but not nearly as loud/bad as it did when we picked it up last week. I'm going to try and Seafoam it (1/2 can through the intake, 1/2 can in the gas, and 3/4 of a can in the oil for about 100 miles) then change the oil to a heavier weight (10/30) full synthetic.

Anyone know if these have a BCM in them? I noticed it 2-3 times on the drive back last week, and once today...the gauges go funny and the digital odometer/oil change light box will light up (odometer will read 888888 across it and the MIL? box will show the battery light) for a few seconds as the gauge needles sweep back and forth. Its almost acting like an alternator problem, but I'm not having issues with battery charge, etc. I know the fuel gauge doesn't work until it hits about 1/4 tank and then its pretty much empty (level sender in the tank perhaps?).
Power mirrors won't adjust with the switch, etc. Just a handful of little annoying things honestly, which makes me wonder if it is a body control module or a shorted wire running to it (if said module is even on these vans)...

Also need to figure out why the fans aren't kicking on. Its not overheating and only gets to between 1/4 and 1/2 way on the temp gauge when fully warmed up, seems to be normal honestly. The fans don't even kick on when I turn the AC on.

Other than the minor electrical issues it runs out well honestly. I'll try and post up some photos and video of the tick.

I had a similar problem in my 1990 Ciara wagon, gauges going wacky, etch. Turns out the cheap replacement alternator was spiking. Blew the ECM, had it replaced, then it blew again. At that point my the local Olds dealer kept it and instrumented it for a few days to find why. Finally caught the voltage spikes getting through the regulator. Just watch for that.
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I kick the AC on, the fans still don't come on. Temp doesn't change either, it stays around the 195 mark.

Have to check yet to see if there is a thermostat in there or not. But with the location of the T-stat on these motors I'm wondering if it may just be stuck open (or if someone replaced it and put a failsafe Stant one in that has locked open).

Did some reading last night, my fuel gauge issue could be corrosion in the wires underneath the driver seat running off of the tank/pump assembly. Seems like a common problem from what I read last night and its hardly ever the sending unit.

As for the knock in the motor, I'm gonna do some more testing but I think it may very well be rod knock :/ Going to try and isolate which cylinder is knocking by pulling spark plug wires one at a time to see which cylinder stops knocking. Also going to Seafoam/change the oil to a heavier weight next week with a better quality filter (stupid people and their $2 Fram junk ). Really hope its not rod knock. Even if it is though, for the price of the van, I'll drive it til it lets go. 3400 motors are a dime a dozen (I can get one from the boneyard here for $100) and labor to put it in would be $250-$300 at the little mom and pop guy that did the lifters, so I'd still be coming out relatively even on a van that books for $1500-$2000.

Video/pics tonight or tomorrow after I get off work
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

When I kick the AC on, the fans still don't come on. Temp doesn't change either, it stays around the 195 mark.

Have to check yet to see if there is a thermostat in there or not. But with the location of the T-stat on these motors I'm wondering if it may just be stuck open (or if someone replaced it and put a failsafe Stant one in that has locked open).

Did some reading last night, my fuel gauge issue could be corrosion in the wires underneath the driver seat running off of the tank/pump assembly. Seems like a common problem from what I read last night and its hardly ever the sending unit.
Good luck with it
As for the knock in the motor, I'm gonna do some more testing but I think it may very well be rod knock :/ Going to try and isolate which cylinder is knocking by pulling spark plug wires one at a time to see which cylinder stops knocking. Also going to Seafoam/change the oil to a heavier weight next week with a better quality filter (stupid people and their $2 Fram junk ). Really hope its not rod knock. Even if it is though, for the price of the van, I'll drive it til it lets go. 3400 motors are a dime a dozen (I can get one from the boneyard here for $100) and labor to put it in would be $250-$300 at the little mom and pop guy that did the lifters, so I'd still be coming out relatively even on a van that books for $1500-$2000.

Video/pics tonight or tomorrow after I get off work

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock