Started on: 09-16-2014 10:10 PM
Replies: 12 (193 views)
Last post by: Fats on 09-17-2014 01:39 PM
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The chime that sounds when I get a PM locks up my Opera browser. I have to log into PFF with another browser to clear the new PM before I can navigate PFF again.

Is there any way to just turn the chime off?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You got me, I never knew it had a chime, sound is usually turned off at least the speakers are turned off.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Flashblock.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Flashblock.

Agreed. You need to disable the Flash plugin to disable the sound.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I just installed a flash blocker add-on. It blocks flash for the entire site. I wish I could tell it to only block the main navigation page.

I can turn it on and off with just a click. I'll live with it.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a chime? I've been here 15 years and don't remember ever hearing a chime. I've been here with just about every browser (Opera, Safari (on the iPad), IE, Chrome and of course Firefox from the beginning to current) and with various OSs (Windows from XP through 7 plus various Linux distros).
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hear the chime, depending what browser im on, its just a ltitle error box 90% of the time tho.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On one of my machines, loading the chime delays the page load, so I can tell when I have a PM based on that delay
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

On one of my machines, loading the chime delays the page load, so I can tell when I have a PM based on that delay

Ditto
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF PM Chime is Flash? No... Is a bit more complicated.

I think Chime file was a ___.mov for many years. Many didn't have iTunes so never played and likely reason many have never heard the chime.

Now are BGSOUND and embed tags w/ src="____.fiero.nl/forum/sounds/notify_mono.wav" (____ so PFF won't auto generate a link)
Neither tags call for specific player, like Flash.

Flash and other plugins can play this file. FF and likely others auto defaults to last one installed. Example my FF tries to play this with VLC Web plugin.

(to see the code: If needed PM to you then go to PFF index and use View Page Source. Code near bottom. Search for mono)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is on my work computer running Windows 7 and Firefox. No iTunes or Quicktime installed and I do NOT hear the chime on this machine. I sent myself a PM to get this:

The plugin it's looking to install is Quicktime. Seems to me if you were to un-install Quicktime it would fix the problem, unless of course if you use Quicktime on that machine. This is just my best guess, I'm no computer guru.
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

The chime that sounds when I get a PM locks up my Opera browser. I have to log into PFF with another browser to clear the new PM before I can navigate PFF again.

Is there any way to just turn the chime off?

I didn't even know Opera was doing anything but mobile browsers anymore. Why not just switch from Opera?
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Yep, Page hangs up for a few seconds. "Hey, I got a PM"

Brad

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock