Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Of interest to some--Will Scotland vote to leave Great Britain and gain independence? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Of interest to some--Will Scotland vote to leave Great Britain and gain independence? by maryjane
Started on: 09-09-2014 12:31 AM
Replies: 46 (746 views)
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 09-22-2014 04:10 PM
yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by frontal lobe:
I'm not a fan and defender of Britain per se (and not an attacker, either), but Germany and its imperial ambition ignited a war that resulted in an estimated 50-55 million deaths. So while, yes, Germany wasn't able to spread its imperial ambition as FAR across the globe as Britain, I have a suspicion that while spreading "...terrible suffering..." around the world, they didn't spread 55 million deaths. I suppose I could be wrong over the span of their imperial period. But I doubt it.

Their imperialism spread some good things, too.

I can't think of any good German imperial ambition spread, out of WWII at least.
So I find your comment oddly one sided.

And your point is.... (other than deflecting based on my nationality)?
IP: Logged
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

And your point is.... (other than deflecting based on my nationality)?

My point is what is your point.

I understood the point about imperialism coming to an end, and that this Scotland vote might be another reflection of that. Totally in context.

I completely didn't understand your deflection into how much good or bad Britain's imperialism caused and found that odd. To highlight that, I thought a comparator to a country I think you have large familiarity with might demonstrate that. Apparently by your question of the deflecting, I made my point.
Regarding a comment by Nurb432 about "...Christianity has killed far more people during its ambition...", that would seem to be an even farther deflection than you originally initiated.
Regarding it factuality, during the time of large Christian spread, the world population was much smaller, so I would dispute the "killed far more people" assertion. It may have "killed" larger percentages of a population during its time of expansion.

Regarding it won't "last forever", many others have made that prediction over thousands of years now, and you join the ranks of people being wrong. But if any consolation, I suppose you are in good company.
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

frontal lobe

9042 posts
Member since Dec 1999
I think I should add for context.

From afar, I like Germany, and like German people. Acknowledging that ALL Germans are not robotically alike, many of the common characteristics happen to be ones I enjoy. Many of the things that are commonly enjoyed by Germans, I have learned and enjoy also.

So my comment on a historical period of time wasn't diminishing my affection for Germany. Or for Britain. And I'm not one of the ones that feels either country should need to perpetually apologize for that period in their history. Japan either for that matter.

Or for my own country, which also has spread some negative things around the world.

And also many positive things.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Voters in Scotland resoundingly rejected independence in a historic referendum

http://www.wral.com/early-r...dependence/13995814/

Independence isn't fashionable anymore.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Scotland had a 2nd, but lesser known referendum on the ballot yesterday as well.
They are still trying to determine exactly what the outcome was.

spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Scotland had a 2nd, but lesser known referendum on the ballot yesterday as well.
They are still trying to determine exactly what the outcome was.

Is that a hangman chad?
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock