Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Know anyone who just doesnt seem to know how to lower their voices volume?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Know anyone who just doesnt seem to know how to lower their voices volume? by 2.5
Started on: 09-05-2014 01:39 PM
Replies: 30 (408 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 09-11-2014 09:27 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are they born that way?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You mean Americans?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I mean for real cannot talk quietly. Talking on the phone comes to mind as a good place to witness this. Its as if they are trying to speak to someone on the other side of a room.
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, both my wife and son have no idea what an "indoor" voice is. I can be sitting right next to them and they sound like they are yelling

dan
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I mean for real cannot talk quietly. Talking on the phone comes to mind as a good place to witness this. Its as if they are trying to speak to someone on the other side of a room.

Right. Americans.
As a rule, our normal conversational voice is much louder than much of the rest of the world. Now if you're talking about people who are loud by American standards, that's another issue. I don't know why, but a lot of people seem to talk louder on the phone than in person. To me it seems natural to want to speak more quietly when on the phone.
fastblack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a friend who, after a couple beers, cannot maintain a "normal" volume. Everybody calls him on it and it's actually downright annoying. I'm talking excessively loud here, if I sit next to him at a table I will actually plug my ear that's closest to him. I honestly can't stand it.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Right. Americans.
As a rule, our normal conversational voice is much louder than much of the rest of the world. Now if you're talking about people who are loud by American standards, that's another issue. I don't know why, but a lot of people seem to talk louder on the phone than in person. To me it seems natural to want to speak more quietly when on the phone.

Mine isnt, but I'm sure many Americans are.
I wonder if it comes from growing up in a loud environment or one where there are many people trying to talk at once.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I know what you mean...ive heard people from inside my house talking on the phone from clear on the other side of the parking lot...prob 50-75 yards away or more. I think its because there ear drums are burned out from listening to loud music for 15 years. They seem to think that if they cant hear the other person, the other person cant hear them in a normal voice. Ive had people talk to me on the phone so loud I could lay the phone down and use it like a speakerphone.

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know lots of people like that....

And, come to think of it...

They're all Americans.

Hmmm.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm one of those people. My dad is as well. I attribute it to hearing loss. I have to be actively reminded on a regular basis to lower my voice.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of it is, I'm certain, people talking on cell phones and thinking they have to talk loudly to get the signal through.
We have crappy radio and cell coverage at work, and it becomes habit.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!

Jim
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
**** YOU, THAT'S WHY!

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To me, almost everyone is like that, while everyone tells me I need to speak louder.
It has to do, not with your voice, but with your hearing.
YOU, sort of internally--hear your voice differently than others do--that is, at a different volume--transmitted from larnyx thru gristle, bone and cartilage to your eardrum as well as thru the air to your ear drum, as well as knowing your own words from the thought process of forming them. People who routinely and normally speak loud, often have a problem hearing themselves--think they are whispering if they speak in what seems a normal voice to everyone else.

I have the opposite problem--hearing is too acute. I hear every conversation in a crowded room, even in a big room like walmart and it drives me nuts. Those who have spoken to me in person, know that I do not speak loud at all.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

**** YOU, THAT'S WHY!

Made me look for the like button! LOL!
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FriendGregory

4833 posts
Member since Jan 2004
The voices inside my head are very loud and imposing.

My buddy is a loud talker and I blame his lack of hearing protection when shooting for many years. I had a friend shoot my AR15 with me about 15 feet back and 15 feet to the side and lifted one of my hearing protection. For many days my ear rang. I suspect for him it is much worse.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I know what you mean...ive heard people from inside my house talking on the phone from clear on the other side of the parking lot...prob 50-75 yards away or more. I think its because there ear drums are burned out from listening to loud music for 15 years. They seem to think that if they cant hear the other person, the other person cant hear them in a normal voice. Ive had people talk to me on the phone so loud I could lay the phone down and use it like a speakerphone.

Well Roger is not guilty of this. He's a pretty soft spoken person, BELIEVE IT OR NOT!!

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I have the opposite problem--hearing is too acute. I hear every conversation in a crowded room, even in a big room like walmart and it drives me nuts. Those who have spoken to me in person, know that I do not speak loud at all.

That's like my dad. Never lost any hearing his whole life. Then when he moved into a nursing home the nurses there would shout at him because they assumed he was half deaf like the rest of the people there. Drove him crazy!

CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the guys in my office is like this. He's very smart but has 0 social skills. He is yelling on every single phone conversation, all day long.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The old wire line phones had a feature called "side tone". It was a device where the speaker would hear their own voice in the receiver and adjust their speaking volume accordingly. On short lines the people would speak softer and on long lines, louder.

Maybe some of the loud talkers are using their internal AVC due to absence of side tone?
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-05-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please speak up.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Same here.

Funny thing is, after all the loud noises I experienced in the military, (weapons fire, explosions, loud machinery, etc) I apparently STILL hear better than most people.

I also noticed that when I talk, people in the room tend to quiet down, so they can hear me. Maybe that's a good thing?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still have excellent hearing. Im not into music, especially like concerts. BUT i did sit over 2 mega horsepower jet engines for most of 4 years...go figure. I also raced stock cars and supermodifieds with no mufflers.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Please speak up.

WHAT?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

To me, almost everyone is like that, while everyone tells me I need to speak louder.
It has to do, not with your voice, but with your hearing.
YOU, sort of internally--hear your voice differently than others do--that is, at a different volume--transmitted from larnyx thru gristle, bone and cartilage to your eardrum as well as thru the air to your ear drum, as well as knowing your own words from the thought process of forming them. People who routinely and normally speak loud, often have a problem hearing themselves--think they are whispering if they speak in what seems a normal voice to everyone else.

I may have the same sensitive hearing. It seems espscially to things behind me. But I also usually take into account ambient noise and compensate for it either quieter or louder so the paeron can hear me. I have a relative who will for example talk to me in a car sitting in a parking lot, and talk just as quiet in a car with the windows down going down the highway. I guess some of it has to do with attention to surroundings.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's three possible reasons:

1 - They cannot hear very well...

2 - It is a component of Attention Deficit Disorder. More specifically, it's the inability to realize (not paying attention) that their voice is gaining in volume.

3 - They want to be heard loudly (attention getting in public)
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
4. Drunk (reference my brother)
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, my 2 causes of this are:
1> from a large family, growing up in a constant raucous
2> hearing issue

tho - yes - drunk works too
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2014 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HUH ? WHATDYA GUYS <HIC> SAY ?
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

The old wire line phones had a feature called "side tone". It was a device where the speaker would hear their own voice in the receiver and adjust their speaking volume accordingly. On short lines the people would speak softer and on long lines, louder.

Maybe some of the loud talkers are using their internal AVC due to absence of side tone?

I was going to mention the same thing.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock