Started on: 09-03-2014 08:54 PM
Replies: 36 (581 views)
Last post by: ls3mach on 09-07-2014 10:41 AM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 301
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got a big promotion and a nice raise to go with it, and I'll be moving to sunny California some time in the next month or so. I need to furnish a 1-bed apartment. I have a TV, a desk, and an end table, and that's it. I'll need a bed, a nice chair, and a couch for my brothers to sleep on when they visit.

What would you buy? Money is no object, within reason. I want to come home from 8-20 hour work days and be able to relax.

For the chair I'm looking at La-Z-Boy recliners, but I'm not familiar with what's out there.

http://www.la-z-boy.com/Product/7550-9305/
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post09-03-2014 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgClick Here to Email BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are now "The Rich".
Prepare to be hated!
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsClick Here to Email FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

You are now "The Rich".
Prepare to be hated!

Wait, what if we already hated him?

Brad
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get an uncomfortable couch--it will prevent your brothers from staying too long or visiting too often.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTClick Here to Email IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To solve an all around problen when I was single, I bought these:

They are comfortable, each one reclines fully, and you can build whatever size you like from 2 seats to 8. They are also free shipping.
http://www.theaterseat.com/...heater-seating/12/83
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieClick Here to Email Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Get an uncomfortable couch--it will prevent your brothers from staying too long or visiting too often.

This...Soooo much!!

Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageClick Here to Email Patrick's DadSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long as what I sit on is reasonably comfortable, I can fall asleep on it. I once fell asleep across the back seat of a moving car, on my side with my head propped up on my hand....

Key, though, is a good stereo.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lava lamp and some bean bags.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick's Dad:

As long as what I sit on is reasonably comfortable, I can fall asleep on it. I once fell asleep across the back seat of a moving car, on my side with my head propped up on my hand....

Key, though, is a good stereo.

Did that lots of time when I was young--in the space between the back glass and the back seat.

Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroClick Here to Email Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got one of these a couple years ago.....

When you try it out in store, you think its good....but after you mess around with the settings a bit, its AMAZING.

https://www.dreamwavechair.com/

I have a LAZY-BOY sectional I bought 15 years ago that has been well worth it...still looks, and feels new.
Their stuff is pricy, but very well built.

[This message has been edited by Falcon Fiero (edited 09-03-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Click Here to Email 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What he said, !

But then I don't like my brothers, you mileage my vary

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you appreciate good value and excellent design, go directly to IKEA. Their POÄNG chair alone is worth the trip.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-04-2014).]

ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought Italian leather theatre seats 6 pieces. Electric recliners. Haven't added the TV, but was thinking a 60-80 LED. It'll be around 9' viewing distance. Probably going to add a microfiber love seat or couch for people who want to cuddle up, but this would be under the hanging TV or maybe in the back corner. Not really sure about how I want to lay it out yet.

My bed is a king. Captain storage on the foot. Nice sheets and a matching duvet. Only 4 pillows, which I've been through a number of, haven't found any I really like. I also keep an extra set of sheets and duvet, for the quick switch. Nice dark hardwood. My chest of drawers are rather ornate. Similar color dark wood. My TV stand in the bedroom is an entertainment chest with a fireplace insert. Same color hardwood.

Office desk is a 7x5 chunk of wood. It was my largest customers desk. He retired and his son didn't want it. The desk is AWESOME. So deep I can't scoot all the way in and touch the back side. My chair is a simple high-back leather chair. I have 4 monitors on this desk and 3 are for me. 1 is mirrored so I can work it from either side or present things to people.

Kitchen. Marble table. Bar height with 4 chairs. I had cheap leather ones, but they didn't stand up to time, so I went with 4 solid wood with mid-backs. I can send some photos, but my living room is a complete mess, I still haven't moved in.

Working on building a wet bar in my kitchen. Adding an island. I also have 1 more TV to install over the bar. The kitchen I am using as a pool room. The 2nd living room I am suing as my kitchen (it had a fireplace and a breakfast bar made more sense).

Extra bedroom 1? Cheap full size bed. Mediocre sheets. A chest of drawers. 23" AIO that can double as a TV. I'm not hosting anyone fancy. Don't want them making themselves at home.

Other room is completely empty, save a pallet that friend made on the floor after the other beds were taken.

Sorry for the ramblings.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

If you appreciate good value and excellent design, go directly to IKEA. Their POÄNG chair alone is worth the trip.

I was under the impression they used particle board everything and you had to put the furniture together?

Admittedly, I've never been there or bought their stuff though.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have a lot of stuff from room and board. It's very good quality and almost, if not all of it is American made.

Roomandboard.com

We also have bought good quality furniture at the Macy's furniture outlet when we were in l.a. not sure if it's still there though. It was in Van Nuys or someplace around there.

I'm not a big fan of Ikea. Had too many things just break and fall apart from them.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 291
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwClick Here to Email cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:
Only 4 pillows, which I've been through a number of, haven't found any I really like.

That's sad. See, a good pillow should invite you to bed. It shouldn't be too firm, or too soft, ... and size does matter. It should be soft to touch, and smooth. I am not fond of synthetic fillings.
Let me ask you ... what the hell is a duvet ? Is that one of those frilly thingies ? Apparently to you appearance matters. Perhaps you have just not found the right pillows.
These were not at all to my liking ...

These were much more pleasing ...

Only 4 pillows ...

Nothing wrong with that, .

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get the sleep number bed, they have one now with heating and cooling too.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was under the impression they used particle board everything and you had to put the furniture together?

IKEA has furniture in all price ranges. A lot of it is veneer over composite core, but some isn't. It's almost always well designed, though. My wife and I own some classic Scandanavian furniture, but IKEA's inexpensive POÄNG chairs and their matching ottomans, for example, fit right in and are very comfortable. We even keep a couple of the POÄNG chairs on our outside deck for comfortable seating during the summer; since they're built for inside use they only last a few years out in the weather, but at that price point it doesn't matter.

Almost everything at IKEA is knocked down for efficient shipment, and you normally assemble it yourself. But they usually will assemble it for you for a small additional cost if you ask.

IKEA's stuff may not be to your taste at all. But it's at least worth a trip, if nothing else for the design ideas alone.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-05-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

POÄNG chairs .

Looks good. About time someone made a chair with proper lumbar support and seat angle.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I just got a big promotion and a nice raise to go with it, and I'll be moving to sunny California some time in the next month or so. I need to furnish a 1-bed apartment. I have a TV, a desk, and an end table, and that's it. I'll need a bed, a nice chair, and a couch for my brothers to sleep on when they visit.

What would you buy? Money is no object

I don't know, but let us know when you move and we'll be there!

http://www.sweetsofas.com/finishedcouches.html

http://www.newretrocars.com/

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 09-04-2014).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pretty much everything from Ikea comes flat packed requiring assembly. And missing 2 screws.
PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Pretty much everything from Ikea comes flat packed requiring assembly. And missing 2 screws.

... and with profusely illustrated assembly instructions that are equally incomprehensible in any of 37 languages.

Really ... If you can wrench on a Fiero, you should be able to assemble something from IKEA.

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaClick Here to Email WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... and with profusely illustrated assembly instructions that are equally incomprehensible in any of 37 languages.

Really ... If you can wrench on a Fiero, you can assemble an item from IKEA.

If you are from KC, which IKEA store did you go to? Or did you buy online?

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

If you are from KC, which IKEA store did you go to? Or did you buy online?

I used to travel a lot on business. I have bought stuff from the IKEA stores in Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, and probably others I can't remember. I have also bought a couple of things on-line, but they didn't make it easy.

Now the news: The newest IKEA store in the country will open next week (Sep 10, 2014) in Merriam, KS, a close-in suburb of Kansas City.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Some, come with 4 extra screws..............
Raydar

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 457
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We've bought some Ikea furniture.
Some of it is really good. Some of it is just okay. None of it is bad.
The cool thing about it is that it's modular. You can mix and match and design your own pieces to suit your room(s).
We have a ten foot long entertainment center in the living room. Matching pieces in the dining room for storage. Works very well.
It's built as good as most "builder grade" kitchen cabinets, if not a little better.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 301
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, and yes. My current bedroom is furnished almost entirely in Ikea. We have an Ikea literally 1 mile down the road in Canton, halfway between the apartment and my current office. I've spent many hours and many more dollars there. They have some nice stuff, but it's mostly crap.

I'd like to get away from college dorm particle board furniture and get something a bit more refined, but still modern. Something like this:

Just not actually that. Those carpets look horrible, and the chairs and couch look horribly uncomfortable.

Originally posted by 2.5:

Get the sleep number bed, they have one now with heating and cooling too.

I lived with one for a week in El Paso back in January at a nice hotel, wasn't impressed at all. It's like a giant air mattress that you can adjust the firmness of. You can get it dialed in just right after a few nights, but it still feels like an air mattress, and I didn't get that great a sleep on it any night, unless I was dead tired from work.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I lived with one for a week in El Paso back in January at a nice hotel, wasn't impressed at all. It's like a giant air mattress that you can adjust the firmness of. You can get it dialed in just right after a few nights, but it still feels like an air mattress, and I didn't get that great a sleep on it any night, unless I was dead tired from work.

I think you have to like a soft bed, I keep it at about 35. Keeps back pain away. Alot of people like hard beds and big pillows, I use really a thin pillow too or sometimes none.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-05-2014).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Some, come with 4 extra screws..............

So that's where they went! I thought they might have gotten lost in my drawer full of IKEA metric hex keys.

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerClick Here to Email BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been on a few cruises and always slept well on their beds. You can buy the bedding from Carnival. A buddy of mine did. I should but haven't.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaClick Here to Email WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I think you have to like a soft bed, I keep it at about 35. Keeps back pain away. Alot of people like hard beds and big pillows, I use really a thin pillow too or sometimes none.

I like boobies and a touch of a woman. No matter the mattress.

Sleep Number pimps their products pretty good, but I don't believe I've slept on one.

Memory foam is what I have and that is the best mattress I ever slept on.

I travel extensively and sleep in a lot of hotel beds. Nothing beats memory foam.

I'm sure Sleep Number is a decent mattress, but it seems gimmicky to me. Much like waterbeds, which were all the rage back in the day. People claim it relieved back pain and all that. But I don't know any furniture/mattress store that sells them or people who have them anymore.

I'm not going to claim memory foam cures back pain or anything like that, just I find it very comfortable.

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 09-06-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sent a few pics. I actually have extremely poor taste and am very random. 100% of my furniture has been dictated by various women in my life. Some of them have nice taste, but very different it seems. :shrug:
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

...what the hell is a duvet?

A duvet is one of those fancy toilets meant for chicks to wash their womanly parts.

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeyman

15796 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Function over form, every time. I have one of those build-it-yourself "desks" (not much of a desk, just a platform to put a computer on), an old recliner that I re-use as a computer chair and my bed consists of a box spring and mattress (no frame). I DO have some very fashionable plastic, 3 drawer "cabinets" of various sizes. I've even ripped the sticker (with the name and function...the one I'm looking at says "Sterilite 3 Drawer Cart/3 Tiroir Chartot/3 Cajon Carro") off of some. I've got $20k worth of renters insurance and, just for the record (and since this is a public forum the insurance investigators can read), I'm going to say it would cost the entire $20k to replace my stuff.

Live simply and you don't worry as much when an asteroid hits your house, that's my motto.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

A duvet is one of those fancy toilets meant for chicks to wash their womanly parts.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

As you probably already know ... the bidet was originally invented to allow knights, mounted cavalry, and other horsemen to clean themselves after a long day in the saddle without having to take a full bath, which many considered unhealthy. It was only later that the fancy ladies started using them.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As you probably already know ... the bidet was originally invented to allow knights, mounted cavalry, and other horsemen to clean themselves after a long day in the saddle without having to take a full bath, which many considered unhealthy. It was only later that the fancy ladies started using them.

I generally consider myself not completely stupid.

I've just recently learned that a bidet was for women. I really thought it was for cleaning everyone's heiny hole. At any rate. I am sure Cliff knows how to look up duvet.

I love my bedding. Like sleeping in lotion.

[This message has been edited by ls3mach (edited 09-07-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock