Started on: 09-03-2014 08:47 AM
Replies: 9 (179 views)
Last post by: tshark on 09-03-2014 01:57 PM
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I install flooring in my house using planks, is it better to run them across the back of the house or lengthwise? The main room (living room) is wider than it is long and has a vaulted ceiling if that helps any.

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Diagonal!

I would run the boards so they are running with the longest direction, but that is me, as that is what I did in my house with vinyl planks (sub-level room, so didn't want wood on the floor).
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know I'm either going to rent the house or sell it to someone who will rent it, so I'm going with vinyl planks for durability and ease of cleaning. I'll just have to buy enough of the material and then lay it out on the floor without gluing it down before I decide. But I want to run the pattern through the whole house aside from the kitchen and bathrooms.

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BTW, I like the floating type of floor... vinyl. HD sells it as do others. Now they have the click together vinyl planks.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Diagonal!

You may have been joking with that, but I have an old house on my property in which the original floor is done exactly like that--diagonally run true 1" oak floor planing.

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

You may have been joking with that, but I have an old house on my property in which the original floor is done exactly like that--diagonally run true 1" oak floor planing.

Oh, some people do that. It is fine, but just more cutting of the product.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Oh, some people do that. It is fine, but just more cutting of the product.

Yeah, I'm going to stick to the K.I.S.S. principle on this one.

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Richard,

Floating floors have their own issues as do vinyl planks. If you want more info give me a call or send a PM.

Nelson
FieroReinke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroReinkeSend a Private Message to FieroReinkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should run it perpendicular to the longest length you will walk along. Reasoning is you will be less likely to see the joints. So if you have a long hallway, it should be installed the short way across the hallway not lengthwise down the hallway.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock