Started on: 08-26-2014 07:36 PM
Replies: 22 (367 views)
Last post by: WBailey1041 on 08-29-2014 02:17 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post08-26-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, I am going to start a war

Which of the 2010-2012 4x4 pickups are the best ?? <yeh, loaded question>

I need a new work truck before winter, and my requiremens are

2010-2012 (a 24-48 month lease return. Let somebody else take the depreciation and as a lease you KNOW they havent beat on it because they know they are going to have to pay thru the nose to get the beatings fixed) Please DONT suggest a 2014/ 2015 anything, this is going to be a cash purchase and a lease return is the best value IMHO.

4x4 is a must. I spend too much time on back and country roads and now am going into places you dont go in the winter without 4x4.

Quad Cab (4-door) is a MUST, my Sierra extended cab works for passengers and cargo---KINDA. But the Sierra was a $2,000 truck while I expect the new one to be $18,000 plus. For that kinda money I am getting EXACTLY what I need, not "making do"

PICKUP, no suv's...'burbans, Blazers, Exploders, Range Rovers, Jeeps ect may all be nice trucks--but they dont have the sheer big-item load capacity a pickup does.

POWER...no wimpy 6-cylander. Its gotta have an 8. Anything 2010 or newer already has sedan-like fuel economy anyway.

FULL-Size. No "compact" trucks, they just dont have the room I need. For size I actually like the Ram 1500, but really dont have brand loyalty

Dependable...I dont want anything with known repated weak points. Yeh, all vehicals have a few of them, but this is a WORK truck, I cant afford to be down every 2nd or 3rd week with "XXXXXX" problems

OK, with all that said I WANT a Raptor SVT....but will be keeping the sierra as a toy truck (probably make a low rider out of it) and getting what I need.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been looking at quad cabs (crew cab, double cab, whatever you want to call it) 4X4's for the last few weeks.

I'm considering a 2010-2012 Chevy Silverado LTZ (V8) 4X4.

OR

a Brand new 2015 Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon Z71 (V6) 4X4. I know, you're not interested in, it's mid size, and v6, and 2015.

I think I'm probably looking at about the same price, just waiting for the new ones to come out so I can test drive.
I used to love the way Dodge Rams look, but I guess I've grown up and like the smooth lines of the Silverado better now. Ford is out of the question for a few reasons.

[This message has been edited by CoryFiero (edited 08-26-2014).]

Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been a fan of the Ford Powerstroke for some time now.

Reliable, decent economy, roomy, and comfortable.

Oh, and it'll pull a house without an issue.

Brad
Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ram 1500. Wouldn't trade mine off for anything.... except the 2015 diesel V6...

400hp w/ 400-ft/tq when I want it and 22mpg in 4cyl. mode on the highway. Around town I average 14.5.
Nothing beats it in interior room, take that from a guy who's 6'5" and all his buddies are just as tall.
Having coils on all four corners makes this thing ride like an SUV/Car, until you've actually ridden all of them you just don't realize how smooth it is.
The thing looks sharp and has been reliable as hell excluding rear pinion seal which was handled for $50 at the local mechanic.

Only downside I've run into is the payload is a bit less due to the coils in the rear over tradition springs but I only put 600lbs in the box and 3 sleds on the trailer. Don't even know its there.
Tires suck being as they all run 17-20 rim so expect to be paying at least 600+
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I worked construction at a paper mill here in Maine there were a lot of different contractors working the jobsite, paper mills are huge, one day I was designated goffer for our crew and walked back and forth to the tool crib and saw a lot of trucks and the majority of them were GMC or Chevy pickups.

you think about that !

Steve
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2010-2012 4x4 V8 Quad Cab - Price is going to be closer to $30,000

For a REAL work truck, has to be a 3/4 ton. The 1/2 ton trucks just fall apart, and are made for people that just want a pickup.

Personally I'd rather drive a Ford and work on a Chevy. Fords are a ***** to work on, but they don't break nearly as often. Unlike their cars and SUV's, the Ford trucks haven't had hardly any problems. Anything GM I'm constantly under the hood of.
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Born and raised a GM guy, but my wife's a Ford girl. Her dad and 2 brothers work at the plant. Anyway, we bought her bro's 2011 f150 Crew Cab FX4 and I absolutely love it. Has so much legroom in the rear it's crazy, and I don't need to put my seat all the way back to drive it. (6'3", this would be the FIRST vehicle I haven't had to do that).

Depending on what you mean for "work truck", how much do you need to tow? I've got the ecoboost and it can tow like crazy. I get around 17 cruising around town, up to 21ish on the highway if I keep it around 70. Her other brother has a 2012 crew ecoboost and ditched his 2003 F350 powerstroke for it. Says the F150 pulls his fifth wheel camper better than the f350 did.

I've never driven the coyote f150s, but I've been very happy with the ecoboost.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-26-2014 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pHoOl:

Born and raised a GM guy, but my wife's a Ford girl. Her dad and 2 brothers work at the plant. Anyway, we bought her bro's 2011 f150 Crew Cab FX4 and I absolutely love it. Has so much legroom in the rear it's crazy, and I don't need to put my seat all the way back to drive it. (6'3", this would be the FIRST vehicle I haven't had to do that).

Depending on what you mean for "work truck", how much do you need to tow? I've got the ecoboost and it can tow like crazy. I get around 17 cruising around town, up to 21ish on the highway if I keep it around 70. Her other brother has a 2012 crew ecoboost and ditched his 2003 F350 powerstroke for it. Says the F150 pulls his fifth wheel camper better than the f350 did.

I've never driven the coyote f150s, but I've been very happy with the ecoboost.

What will be going in the back is mostly #1 Light but bulky lighting gear, (think 20-30 cases of 4-to-8 tubes at a time, boxes equally bulky of other types of bulbs)....#2 square bales of hay. I dont carry much of them at the moment but that will be changing soon enough and I will be doing one or 2 loads of them a week, again not TERRIBLY heavy just bulky----thats the reason I am rejecting the compact/ mid-size trucks and SUV's, their capacity volume-wise would turn one trip into 2.
By spring I will also regularly hauling 2 or 3 appliances per month.

For trailers there are a couple around, loaded with the same stuff but none of them weight enough to be considered a major factor.

Look at load sizes this way, I just quoted a job thats 35,000 mixed bulbs spread over about 2 months. To do that one I can do it in the Sierra with a 5x8 trailer on my regular weekly trips to the office BUT any less capacity would be costing me an extra 6-hour round trip/ $130 bucks between gas and toll fees, every week, for the duration of the project.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 08-26-2014).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-26-2014 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MidEngineManiac

29566 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

2010-2012 4x4 V8 Quad Cab - Price is going to be closer to $30,000

Naw, not around here. Some are up there in price, but a 10-minute initial search I found at least a dozen in the 18-23 range. I might have to drive 3 hours to get to them, but a 3-hours drive to save 5-8 grand works out to over 2500 bucks an hour. Hell, I drove 2 to get my Sierra ond only saved 1500 over the "average local" price, so that was a measly 750/hr.

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

Brad

I'll agree with Brad that it sounds like you need a full sized four door pickup and I agree it should be a diesel. That's where we'll part company. You couldn't give me a Power Stroke but, put a Cummins in anything and I'll drive it. Enough said, you wanted to start a war, you may have just accomplished that.
I'm told that 98% of all Ford trucks are still on the road, that tells me that only 2% actually made it home. Sorry but, I'm towing them in as fast as I can.

------------------
Ron
Count Down to A Better America: http://countingdownto.com/countdown/196044
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

GreenPlatypus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreenPlatypusSend a Private Message to GreenPlatypusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best one? Easy AMG G-Wagen. Or if you really need more space AMG makes a nice 6x6. Nothing like accelerating 0-60 in less than 5 seconds in a 6000 pound truck originally designed in the 70's. Plus they get ok gas mileage.
PFF
System Bot
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to throw in another vote for the Ram. I bought my 08 back in March and absolutely love it. I know that you're looking at newer models and with those newer models come quite a few changes but a Mopar is still a Mopar. I was born and raised a hardcore GM guy but after owning this truck I'll never look at another Chevy truck again. A friend of mine owns a 2010 1/2 ton crew cab Chevy and everybody that has ridden in both of our trucks likes mine better. His back seat is bigger but mine is the "quad cab" and not the "mega cab." I let him drive mine once and he even admitted that he maybe should have bought a Dodge. When comparing to my old Chevy ('05 1/2 ton) I certainly don't miss wondering what the next thing to break is and it's nice not to look at a SES light every day. The way I explained the differences in the two to my Dad was the Dodge was actually a truck and the Chevy was more like Grandpa's S10.

If you're going with the 1/2 ton get the Hemi. Not sure if they're still putting that 4.7 liter V8 in the trucks but I would shy away from it (or any other "lesser" V8). You get a lot more power with the Hemi and the difference in fuel mileage is minimal. Wife's Jeep has that 4.7 V8 and while it's got plenty of spunk I feel like it's going to blow up every time I pass somebody.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

Brad

I'm a big fan of the old 7.3 Ford diesel. It was a 1/2 million mile motor. You couldn't give me a "new" 6.0 L diesel. They're notorious for problems. they're expensive to fix and the truck is built around the motor meaning, when you have to replace it (or do any extensive work), the doghouse has to come off at best and the ENTIRE CAB has to come off at worst. Try doing that in your garage.

fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To add to what Monkeyman was saying, my friend's boss just bought a new F150 and says he needs to take it in to the dealer to change the oil. Something about a trans brace or something directly in the way. He could obviously do it at home if he wanted but he doesn't feel like going to all that work just to change the oil. Seems to me like Ford is taking one out of GM's toolbag on this one

EDIT: I think it was the skid plate that was in the way.

[This message has been edited by fastblack (edited 08-27-2014).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:
Quad Cab (4-door) is a MUST ...

If you want an open air station wagon, just say so.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 2WD Crew Cab 1500 GM trucks usually come with a 5' bed. I'm not sure if that applies to the 1500 4x4 Crew, or not. To get the 6.5' or longer bed you might have to step up to a 1500 HD or a 2500.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-27-2014 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

If you want an open air station wagon, just say so.

Thats what I am AVOIDING....getting out into the open air (and rain, and hail and snow) to fold down a seatback to let a rear passenger in or out. Let 'em open thier own frackin door and get out while I stay nice and dry !!!!

ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
F250.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:
Thats what I am AVOIDING....getting out into the open air (and rain, and hail and snow) to fold down a seatback to let a rear passenger in or out. Let 'em open thier own frackin door and get out while I stay nice and dry !!!!

Open their own frackin door to get out, ? Let them get their own frackin truck, .
I prefer a cab and a half. Still room inside to store weather fragile stuff (or stuff I want to reach while driving), enough room inside that someone can ride along, but not too much where they get comfortable expecting me to let them in and out.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Open their own frackin door to get out, ? Let them get their own frackin truck, .
I prefer a cab and a half. Still room inside to store weather fragile stuff (or stuff I want to reach while driving), enough room inside that someone can ride along, but not too much where they get comfortable expecting me to let them in and out.

As I tell my spouse, I bought a quad cab because, I wanted the additional room for my dog, I don't ride back there.
Actually, I'm serious. That truck is mine and it's here to make me a little side money. Rarely does anyone else ride with me so, if ya don't like it, ride with somebody else. I really don't care. I bought exactly what I wanted, a Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins Diesel with a six speed. That truck will pull all day long and do it cheaper than any Ford or Chevy I've seen. Just tell'n ya like it is.

Haven't spent much time up north with a diesel truck, might want to make sure you have an engine heater installed along with a fuel warmer.

------------------
Ron
Count Down to A Better America: http://countingdownto.com/countdown/196044
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

DANGERUS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DANGERUSSend a Private Message to DANGERUSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At our garage any Ford with a 6.0 Powerstroke is enough to make the mechanics run and hide. EVERYONE of our customers with one (and we have had quite a few) started out saying how great a truck it was and then cursing it in the end. Some of these people were long-time Ford lovers when they bought them, but actually changed brands over them. As far as Cummins diesels go, they used to be easily top of the heap, but the 6.7 litre trucks seem to be plagued by numerous smaller issues. No major engine issues, though. The Duramax trucks we work on just seem to keep chugging along. The gas powered engines from any make seem to be roughly the same reliability wise. Just my two cents.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont have a need or like for a 4x4 or pickup, so im impartial. Everyone all seems to like their own truck for whatever reasons that I know and seems to be the same here. My sister bought a new Tundra 4x4 to pull her horse trailer and daily driver. Its 3 years old now and she still loves it. It did wear out a set of tires already though. Its loaded with everything . IF I was to buy one, I dont like asian vehicles myself and wont support GM, but thats just me.
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I own a 2013 F-150 XLT supercab (four doors, two are half doors) 5.0, 2 wheel drive.

I could go on all day about how comfy it is, how much power I have, the 7500# tow rating. Instead here is the bad:

-Brakes squelched and squeaked since 3k miles. I'm not hard on brakes but the dealership has replaced them twice and the front rotors once.
-Michelin LTX A/S tires were down to 2/32nds within 28k miles. Michelin did give me 50% off a new set of LTX M/S2's when ford told me tough luck.
-Passenger door handle will not open on the first pull. It's a known issue with active TSB's and I've had it replaced 3 times. Now, we just pull it twice and it works the second try.
-Front drivers speaker is blown. It's original equipment and might be my fault.
-Transmission has bad days. Imagine a six speed auto (which it is) staying in third gear until 5mph or less. Then when it does downshift it does so at too high an rpm so the truck lurches a tiny bit. Just enough to scare you if you arent expecting it. Again, active TSB for the issue, reprogrammed twice, still acts up.
- 5.0 motor misses alot! I got tired of ford telling me I was imagining it and pulled the plugs last week. Fords says max gap is .047, mine were all over .055. Regapped them and now its worse
- Shocks are getting to the end of life now with just over 30k on the clock.
- AC is horrible. Something about having it cycle the compressor less often to increase fuel economy.
- Rear seat is fuzzy and threads are worn from vacuuming weekly.
- Front Carpet is worn completely through from the left heel of my boot.
- Door hinges are set to only hold the door either 10 inches open, or all the way. A constant pain in parking lots.
- Rear high stop brake light is leaking and moldy.
- Drive shaft makes a ping or clunk from a stop, every time. Again, active TSB, dealer says sorry can't reproduce problem.
- Fancy new gas filler neck is cap less. Needs lube every now and then or it sticks open and sets off the CEL.
- No trans dipstick on an automatic! Climb under the truck and remove a 2 inch tall cap to access a 3 inch long dipstick that you cant see without a mirror.
- Horns are in front of the radiator so the very first spray and wash trip filled them with water, which froze and broke them.

I could go on, but you get the point.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock