Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  No good deed... sometimes you get bitten trying to help folks...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
No good deed... sometimes you get bitten trying to help folks... by TheDigitalAlchemist
Started on: 08-25-2014 11:48 AM
Replies: 9 (160 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 08-25-2014 12:55 PM
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the things I've done for awhile is this --> I fix computers for folks, when time permits. Where I used to live, I used to do it with a group that would re-image, 're-fresh' and/or clean up (spyware and that stuff) computers for elderly and poor folks. I've done about 300 machines, it was very rewarding. I never really discussed it much here, but it's one of the "pay it forward" type things that I feel I can do which makes a difference for folks... I do it less than I used to, lately but I plan on creating a new group in my area over the winter months.

I've only had two negative experiences.
Once, a few years ago, one of the machines I was given was infected with roaches. (UGH) That almost led to a nasty situation in my apt.

The other was about a month ago. I had a few machines I was working on for someone who needed help, and when I popped off the cover in my basement, to physically clean it out, a bunch of fleas were in there (UGHHH)...

So we spent that weekend treating the whole house - bombing every room, treating every piece of furniture, doing all the clothes and all the rest of the stuff... we left the traps around the house and went away for a week (trip was already planned) when we came back, there were no little friends in there, and we're good to go a month later, so I think we nipped it in the bud...

I'm still goiing to work on machines, but will do so outside the house. Hafta figure out the best way to handle this sort of thing.
(OMG< writing this made me sooooo freaking itchy)
Be Well.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fumigate the machines before working on them.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, open case before leaving with it, or if they drop it off, open the case outside and use an electric leaf blower to clean it out

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats quite a surprise, its sad to think you have to consider possible pest infestations inside someones CPU. I'm glad to hear this wasnt an angry person going after you for fixing their computer how they didnt like though.

How did you safely remove them from the computer, I wouldnt think you could hose it with insecticide?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-25-2014).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Yup, open case before leaving with it, or if they drop it off, open the case outside and use an electric leaf blower to clean it out

Ah good idea.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the Hard Drive for free, but there is a service charge for debugging.
Fats

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had the roach problem before. :\

I put the tower in a garbage bag, sealed it up inside another bag, sprayed as much killer as I felt I could inside and set it out back for a few days.

Cockroaches like warm places.

Worse for me was opening a case that was filled with little spiders. I have a real fear of spiders, and dozens of them rushing out at me literally gave me nightmares.

Brad
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Hafta figure out the best way to handle this sort of thing.

Before even opening the computer, seal it in a plastic garbage bag with a couple of tablespoons of paradichlorobenzene moth crystals (or several PDB mothballs). Let it sit for at least 48 hours. The gas that sublimates from the solid PDB will permeate everything, and it will kill adult critters, pupae, larvae, and eggs. Simple and effective. Contact with solid PDB may stain some plastics, so you may want to put the crystals/balls in a porous cloth bag.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why oh why did I read this thread,

I am allergic to flees, at least flee bites. Even had a Dog, Nicky who was also allergic to them, we could always tell if she got one flee on her, she would chew herself raw trying to get it.

we used to watch a friends Bull dog when ever she went away, every time that dog came over it was infested with flees, after the second time the dog got dipped before it ever came in the house and she was charged accordingly, how she couldn't tell was beyond me, it was a house dog. The woman had a PHD, Pretty Helpless Dumbass. She was a college professor who taught health I think it was, biggest idiot I ever met ! I swear there is no way that woman ever went to school for what she taught, her parents must have paid the school off to get her that degree.

Now I itch all over !

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock