Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Does Egg-Cartons Still Work Good & Cork Work Better For Good Sound Insulation?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Does Egg-Cartons Still Work Good & Cork Work Better For Good Sound Insulation? by Boondawg
Started on: 08-18-2014 09:01 PM
Replies: 25 (352 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 08-22-2014 04:51 AM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2014 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to "rock" (over +6.0dB) my new sound system.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 08-19-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From room to room? No, you need isolation. Assuming something other than a concrete floor, sound will be transmitted by virtually everything. Cork and eggcrate will reduce reflections within the room itself (resulting in a less harsh sound - but this can be overdone, as well), but will not be particularly effective in reducing vibrations through the walls, the floor and the ceiling.

Walls should be doubled, with studs from wall isolated from the other, and the gap filled with fiberglass or a similar insulator. A hung ceiling with insulation will help keep those above from enjoying your acoustic adventures. The floor is the hardest part, though a similar treatment for the floor below should help. Sound will still get through to adjacent rooms through the floor, particularly bass. If you are on the ground floor (or basement) and the floor is concrete, then this would better, acoustically, but hard on your knees and back (by walking on it every day....).
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick's Dad:

From room to room? No, you need isolation. Assuming something other than a concrete floor, sound will be transmitted by virtually everything. Cork and eggcrate will reduce reflections within the room itself (resulting in a less harsh sound - but this can be overdone, as well), but will not be particularly effective in reducing vibrations through the walls, the floor and the ceiling.

Walls should be doubled, with studs from wall isolated from the other, and the gap filled with fiberglass or a similar insulator. A hung ceiling with insulation will help keep those above from enjoying your acoustic adventures. The floor is the hardest part, though a similar treatment for the floor below should help. Sound will still get through to adjacent rooms through the floor, particularly bass. If you are on the ground floor (or basement) and the floor is concrete, then this would better, acoustically, but hard on your knees and back (by walking on it every day....).

Well, ain't you just a sunshine of good-news!!!
Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Well, ain't you just a sunshine of good-news!!!

If you like projects, then yes, yes I am!
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, bass is especially hard to contain.
The complex my band practices in has double walls with double doors to the hallway and you can still hear bass from another room even though you can`t hear the rest of the band.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2014 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick's Dad:

If you like projects, then yes, yes I am!

By chance, I do!
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Egg separators still work well for suppressing reflections from hard-surface walls and ceilings, especially in the higher frequencies. They do very little to nothing to suppress sound transmission through walls and ceilings, especially at lower frequencies. Solid-core doors will transmit far less sound than lightweight hollow-core.

As Patrick's Dad posted, staggered-stud walls and ceilings with suspended batting are required for minimum sound transmission. Windows need to be double or triple glazed with non-parallel panes, and entrances need to employ sound-lock design ... two heavy doors, each with full-perimeter seals, separated by a short, sound-suppressed corridor.
Purple86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending how serious you are, I can help you out. But it gets expensive, complicated and not always user friendly. Our meeting rooms are designed to be sound, RF, and light proof. Even the ventilation in the room needs to conform.

For 6db... Throw as much soft furniture in there and vent the room to an area that is not bothered by the noise.. Room compression and decompression from low frequencies transfers lots of sound to room extremities (walls) and that vibrates to adjacent rooms.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just dreaming about being able to listen to music through external speakers as loud as I want.
I've never been able to do that my whole life.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was just dreaming about being able to listen to music through external speakers as loud as I want.

When I was living at home I had a sound system that would rattle all the glass in the house. Made the mistake of turning it up when my mom was home and that was the end of that.

The sound system in my Vette will make your ears hurt if you push it too much. But it has a great sound if you have a good source.
MP3 files are not a good source Cd's are better
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roxul rock wool insulation bats. They do a good job, but, you need to do all walls and the ceiling (and the floor if you have a basement).

To keep the vibrations from the wall studs, the egg crates do that job, but, like guys said above, the bass notes like to meander.

There is no cheap solution, fyi. If you rip down the drywall of the room, and insulate, you can get dry wall or wall board that reduces sound also to re-plaster.

But this all costs. Hope this helps.

Arn
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

The sound system in my Vette will make your ears hurt if you push it too much. But it has a great sound if you have a good source.

Yeah, my fairly new truck system is just not cutting it, mostly because of stupid in-door & behind-the-seat stock speaker placement.

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If that's your goal, then I'm all for you. Go for it.

Won't be long and you'll be very glad you know how to type and use your computer. You'll still be able to communicate orally and maybe you'll learn to read lips.

OH, and don't worry about that constant ringing in your ears that never goes away. At least while you're alive, it'll stop when you're dead I'm told.

------------------
Ron
Count Down to A Better America: http://countingdownto.com/countdown/196044
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2014 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

If that's your goal, then I'm all for you. Go for it.

Won't be long and you'll be very glad you know how to type and use your computer. You'll still be able to communicate orally and maybe you'll learn to read lips.

OH, and don't worry about that constant ringing in your ears that never goes away. At least while you're alive, it'll stop when you're dead I'm told.

Good, maybe it'll keep me from hearing my d!ck cry itself to sleep every night!
Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh, that's easy! Stop caring about your neighbors.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you live in single unit housing (house or townhouse) or multi family housing (apts/condos) ?

If multi, you may have problems.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2014 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

If multi, you may have problems.

Bingo.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sound is transmitted so easily--by almost everything.
I live 2200' from the far Eastern side of my property. Across a river, then another 1/2-3/4 mile, is road leading to a rural housing development. "Somewhere" down that road, there is a party every Saturday night--I suspect, at the same house.
Every Saturday night, Jane and I sit on our back steps and clearly listen to every song played at that party.

The same river that flows by my place, flows behind my sister's place about 9 miles upstream and up a farm-to-market road from me. She can also hear this music, tho not as loud--I've been at her place late at night and heard it myself. It just travels up the river channel, bouncing off the sides and it is echoed for miles up and down the river.
There is a young guy (a kinda notorious hoodlum in the county) that has a very loud diesel truck. He lives further up the gravel side road my sis lives on. When he is on his way home in the evening from work, he hits the throttle when he crosses the river bridge near my NE corner. It is of course a loud blast of exhaust (and coal black smoke). He does this to let his family know he is on his way and nearly home. The exh sound echoes up the river channel just as the music does.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I want to "rock" (over +6.0dB) my new sound system.

85 dB is the legal limit ... here.

85 dB got me arrested four times. All charges dropped.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go to a friends house. With the setup I was using, having the front windows open, I could not hear my lawn mower when cutting the grass. The 15" woofer would cause mucus drainage if I had the remnants of a cold.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-21-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

85 dB is the legal limit ... here.

I'm just trying to be audio-happy without negatively impacting someone else.
I want to go to 86dB, but i'll take anything above 6dB...

PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-21-2014 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

Go to a friends house.

What's that?

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure to take the eggs out first
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-21-2014 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Make sure to take the eggs out first

Are you by chance a Sociopathic Gynalogical hobbyist?
I ask, because they kicked me out of the Psychopathic Gynalogical hobbyist club, and now I got Tuesdays free...

Or did you just sleep at a Holiday Inn Express...
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you by chance a Sociopathic Gynalogical hobbyist?
I ask, because they kicked me out of the Psychopathic Gynalogical hobbyist club, and now I got Tuesdays free...

Or did you just sleep at a Holiday Inn Express...

Yes and Yes
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good, maybe it'll keep me from hearing my d!ck cry itself to sleep every night!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock