Started on: 08-18-2014 12:59 PM
Replies: 26 (440 views)
Last post by: Nurb432 on 08-21-2014 07:19 AM
Fats

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our local County court is making people go buy clothes if they don't like what they have on.

A friend of the family just went to court to clear up the same thing I had a problem with for years. He kept getting arrested for warrants that were taken care of long ago. The Security Guard, who is also a Deputy Sheriff, made him go to Walmart and get new jeans before he was allowed into court because there were holes in his jeans. These weren't "Bad" holes, and only a few around the pockets, and worn knees from working.

He said that a friend of his had to go get pants today too because he was wearing shorts.

Now, we aren't the fanciest, or the richest around, and the kid with the holes in his jeans was wearing his "Sunday best". He works doing odd jobs, and doesn't have a lot. My MIL took him to Walmart and purchased him a pair of jeans. Then when she took him back to court they wouldn't allow her inside because she was wearing shorts.

I thought this type of behavior was illegal. I'm thinking that forcing people to buy clothes in order to go to court isn't right at all, and enforcing a dress code for Court isn't in any way legal.

Brad

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2014 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you imagine no dress code for court.
Well, you don't have to imagine it.

Just take a trip to Walmart...
Fats

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Heh, I live in the "heart of Walmart" I don't have to imagine lol.

We're in the Ozarks, most people are "simple people" and a lot are not well off. The only reason we have a decent average income is because the millionaires move in because the land is cheap and people don't bother them.

Another issue here apparently is people constantly getting arrested for warrants that no longer exist . Probably time to move. >_< If we could afford it.

Brad
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I showed up for a fine there was no getting out of, I wore flipflops, jeans and a T-shirt, the bailiff tried to give me a hard time but he didn't make me go buy shoes. I don't know the legality of them refusing to let someone in a courtroom but it doesn't seem right.
Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's the judges house. Their rules.
Purple86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think court has a dress code... Whatever is deemed legal to wear in public is legal for court. Now dressing like a bum might not impress the Judge much and work against you in his (or her) decision.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember an episode of Ally McBeal (who has great legs btw) in court and the judge ordered her to never wear miniskirts in court again.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2014 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Purple86GT:

I don't think court has a dress code...

An Example:

Appropriate attire is mandatory for any appearance in Court, whether as a participant in a case, a witness or an observer. This not only helps maintain decorum but shows respect for our nation’s laws and Courts.

As a general rule, you should think of the Courtroom as a formal environment. Dress as you would when going for an important job interview or to church. You will be barred from the Courtroom if you violate the Court dress code. Regardless of how you personally feel about the dress code, obey the rules.

Suggested Guidelines
•Men: wear shoes with socks; long pants (on pants with belt loops, wear a belt); collared shirt (tucked in) with a tie, with or without a jacket
•Women: wear shoes; a dress, skirt or long pants; a blouse, sweater or casual dress shirt

You will NOT be allowed to enter the Courtroom wearing the following inappropriate clothing (this may result in an arrest warrant for failure to appear or a default of your civil case):
•Shorts
•Hats (men) or hair curlers (women)
•Halter or tube top
•T-shirt or muscle shirt
•See-through top
•Flip flops
•Clothing that exposes your midriff or underwear
•Ripped or torn jeans
•Baggy pants that fall below your waist
•Clothing with an emblem or wording that promotes illegal or inappropriate activity
•Clothing that depicts or promotes violence, sex acts, illegal drug use or profanity

Special Rules for Juvenile Court

To protect the decorum of the Court, all participants in Juvenile Court must follow these special mandatory dress code rules in addition to those above:
•A belt must be worn if your pants have belt loops
•Pants must be worn at waist level
•For males, shirts must be tucked in
•Remove all visible body piercing jewelry or hardware except you may wear one earring in each earlobe
•You must be appropriately groomed. Males must shave their faces. Males and females must wear their hair styled or cut in a conservative fashion.

Cell Phones
If you wear or carry a cell phone or a pager, you must turn it off while Court is in session. The Judge will assess a $50 fine if your cell phone or pager goes off during Court.

No texting while Court is in session.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 08-18-2014).]

DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i tried getting out of jury duty by doing all of the above, didnt work, had to wait for the judge to waive me off the case since i would have been very prejudice .
Fats

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I agree. It's the judge's rules, but also that anything acceptable in public should be OK, depending on the impression you want to make.

I once had to pay $5 to enter the courtroom (the same as all ”guests”), because it was raining outside, and they would have to clean up from wet feet. I made sure to get my money's worth by cleaning and drying my shoes on the carpet.

If you plead innocent, some courts now charge you a fee to send your case on, plus court costs, plus a disagreement fee. When I saw the total, I stated that that was much more than the fine. They told me that that's the point. Some system we have!

Yep, I protested the fee of $35 dollars a day for the time I was in jail, since I was found innocent, and everything was dropped. The fee's are there regardless of the courts findings, and I believe are just another way to control you.

For instance. Whether guilty or not, the City can take you to court for years and make you pay a lot of fee's, bankrupting you on court costs alone. There is no way to get these back, and the only way to not pay is to be rich in the first place.

I've paid thousands of dollars proving my innocence, not counting time spent sitting in jail. Money and time I'll never recover....Legally.

Brad
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Must make them feel more important or powerful I suppose. They must feel they need respect so much that they determined your clothes disrespect them or their court. Seems silly.
Though I do hope they make gangstas pull up their pants and take their sideways hats off.

I suppose one could return the jeans afterwards.
Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was your friend told to go buy "new clothing at Wal-Mart"? Or was he told to "return in appropriate attire"? There is a big difference between the two. While your friend may have had to go to WalMart to buy clothing he could have easily gone home and put on appropriate clothing from his closet.

My question back to your question. "Is this even legal"? Specifically what law or laws were broken? If there were specific laws broken what are their mechanisms for enforcement. Simply put this was a rule of the court. Their mechanism for enforcement is not letting you into the courtroom. No laws, just rules made by that judge.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hank is Here:

Was your friend told to go buy "new clothing at Wal-Mart"? Or was he told to "return in appropriate attire"? There is a big difference between the two. While your friend may have had to go to WalMart to buy clothing he could have easily gone home and put on appropriate clothing from his closet.

My question back to your question. "Is this even legal"? Specifically what law or laws were broken? If there were specific laws broken what are their mechanisms for enforcement. Simply put this was a rule of the court. Their mechanism for enforcement is not letting you into the courtroom. No laws, just rules made by that judge.

The point probably being... you cant deny even a homeless person due justice, even if they cant go buy - or dont have any clean clothes.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

OK Boone..
Chalenge accepted!!

Fats

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I gotcha. It doesn't make it right though.

Now, what if "justice" is missed because a guy can't afford a pair of pants without holes in them? Couldn't a guy potentially end up in prison simply because he's poor?

Brad
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanDamage:

i tried getting out of jury duty by doing all of the above, didnt work, had to wait for the judge to waive me off the case since i would have been very prejudice .

I haven't served jury duty in 12+ years. I just tell them what I do for a living. Most of the time, I don't even have to show up. A phone call or letter to the court takes my name off the list.

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

I just tell them what I do for a living. Most of the time, I don't even have to show up. .

OK got my interest ....whatcha do for a living?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To put the strength of law behind the court's dress code and code of conduct, they have been adopted into our code of city ordinances. Under state law, a city ordinances can carry a fine up to $1000. In the event a defendant is turned away for an infraction of the rules, the court will grant a one-time delay in order for you to get your stuff in order. Should you return in the same condition, you're deemed in contempt for failure to appear. I've seen one man arrested when the failure to appear warrant was issued because he apparently thought he could get another month's delay.

Though our rules don't require shirt and tie for a man, as cited in Boondawg's example, everyone is expected to wear what the judge calls 'street casual' or clothing appropriate for attending church.

Check-in time for all scheduled court sessions is 8:00 am.

COURTROOM DRESS

" All persons entering the courtroom in the City of Auburn as a spectator, witness or participant shall be dressed in the following manner or will be denied extrance into the courtroom.
Males: shall wear shoes, long pants and collared shirts that are tucked in.
Females: shall wear shoes, dresses skirts or long pants with blouses, sweaters or casual dress skirts.
Shorts, tanks tops, bare midriffs, halter tops and flipflops are not acceptable dress for court and will not be allowed.
If you miss your court date due to your mode of dress, either a suspension or a warrant maybe issued. "
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:

Sounds like he may work in an enforcement or corrections arm of the judicial system.

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Sounds like he may work in an enforcement or corrections arm of the judicial system.

judicial Criminal Justice system industry.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I haven't served jury duty in 12+ years. I just tell them what I do for a living. Most of the time, I don't even have to show up. A phone call or letter to the court takes my name off the list.

Originally posted by fireboss:

Originally posted by maryjane:

if memory serves me, and you all know how bad my memory can be at times, he has said many times he is a corrections officer.

but ya even here in the woods in Maine they expect you not to dressed like you are a bum, unless of course you are a bum, as others have said it is a respect of the court thing. me even as grungy as I look most days, hey it comes with the territory of having a farm, right Don? Or working construction, right Cliff? But I have never shown up in court without a suit on, even when I am just a witness, now if I wasn't going to be a witness I have shown up in jeans and a t shirt. And that has on one occasion come around to bight me in the ass when I was called as a witness and I had my Leatherman on my belt and was directed by the bailiff to surrender it as I was called to the stand. Hey its part of my uniform on the job, on the farm just about anywhere I go I have a small Maglite on one hip and my Leatherman on the other. But like I said he just asked me to give it to him as I was entering the witness stand and he handed it to me when I left and sat back down in the courtroom.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 08-20-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To get off jury duty just tell them your racist, strongly in favor of capital punishment, and hate Obuma/ democrats. Poof, your out.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post08-21-2014 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

If you plead innocent, some courts now charge you a fee to send your case on, plus court costs, plus a disagreement fee. When I saw the total, I stated that that was much more than the fine. They told me that that's the point. Some system we have!

Its always been that way, you did use the courts time.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post08-21-2014 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

That doesn't work with us, strangely enough. Several people at the office have had to go in.

I get the form to fill out every couple of years, but am never called in. I guess its because i support capital punishment for jay walking? ( kidding... )

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock