Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Need ideas, safe way to pull apart .22 LT bullet without damaging.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Need ideas, safe way to pull apart .22 LT bullet without damaging. by NickD3.4
Started on: 08-12-2014 05:20 PM
Replies: 34 (664 views)
Last post by: NickD3.4 on 08-15-2014 09:58 AM
NickD3.4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
was wondering if you can help me figure out a way to safely pull apart a 22 long rifle bullet without damaging the projectile. I have an idea for some crafts I want to make using 22 long rifle rounds, but I need the bullets to be scar free and as perfect as possible. I've been thinking about soaking them in decreases perhaps. .....gotta be a better way than using plyers, which doesn't work because it scars up the lead.

I thought about discharging in a bucket of water, that may work, however I don't know if the round would see properly back into the casing afterwards.

basically I need to figure out a way to make an innert 22 LR as perfect as possible.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2014 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

+

<seriously, DONT try to pull apart live rounds....just buy some dummies.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have stuck the bullet in the barrel and just pulled the casing down without doing any real damage to the round to remove the slug.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use a bullet puller.
Google it.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think some rubber coated pliers wouldn't damage the lead.

Brad
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

When MEM, of all people, gives safety advice, we should consider that to be an extremely dangerous activity!
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2014 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

When MEM, of all people, gives safety advice, we should consider that to be an extremely dangerous activity!

Lettttsssssss just say as about an 8 or 10 year old I mmmiiiggghhhttttt have some experience with .22LR's, a steel pipe and a hammer.

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not just buy the bullets by themselves?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lettttsssssss just say as about an 8 or 10 year old I mmmiiiggghhhttttt have some experience with .22LR's, a steel pipe and a hammer.

And maybe we might have skipped school and spent the first half of the day prying lead off our .22's with our teeth, stuffing a small wad of toilet paper on top of the powder and then topping them off with hot wax, and the other half of the day running around the house shooting at each other.

SO DANGEROUS!
All it would have taken was one missed liveload, and one of us would have been dead.
Every single rule of gun safety was ignored.
By kids damn well raised to know better.

SO WARNING!: Do this and die! Or better yet, don't do it at all!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Isn't that called a zip gun?
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you going to use the casing and the round?
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2014 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

At that age its called a whoopen from Dad.
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/pr...llow-point-bag-of-50

http://www.midwayusa.com/pr...00?cm_vc=subv1739207

[This message has been edited by WBailey1041 (edited 08-12-2014).]

NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

+

apparently you didn't read what I am doing, dummy rounds won't work. I pull apart live rounds all the time I reload on a regular basis. 22 long rifle is something that nobody reloads though, so it's much harder to find ways to disassemble.

NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NickD3.4

3383 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Originally posted by Formula88:

Use a bullet puller.
Google it.

have one,the dont make one for 22 long rifle.

Sigh......

NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NickD3.4

3383 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Originally posted by aceman:

Are you going to use the casing and the round?

Yes
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NickD3.4

3383 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Originally posted by WBailey1041:

http://www.midwayusa.com/pr...llow-point-bag-of-50

http://www.midwayusa.com/pr...00?cm_vc=subv1739207

These are 223, 556 rounds. Similar but not what I need. I have plenty of these. I need a lead cast for 22 long rifle. Thanks though.

maybe I can find a lead casting mold and cast my own.

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are you making? The solid Copper slug may not look right but is safer.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you tried to discharge 1 round in water or gel to see if it will fit the case afterwards?
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was brobably 13-14 when I found a 22 round and a bicycle wench made from 1/8 steel that had a hole just the right size, I layed the wrench on the ground, put the bullet through the hole and pushed into the ground then gave it a wack with a hammer. It split the shell and luckily nothing went wrong.

When I still lived at home I had some modern brass 7.62x54r winchester I just bought and hadn't put away yet. I return home and my free range younger brother seems to be acting suspicious when I notice a shiney brass 7.62x54r standing up on the coffee table. I check the box and 2 are missing, one unaccounted for. I go out in the garage and I found the other shell laying with my autobody hammer with the pick on it. The shell was belled out on the end but not split. I told him he was lucky he did not hurt himself and let my parents know however in their eyes their 16 year old dropout could do no wrong. He is really lucky he didn't do it to the 50 bmg round I had laying around. He wouldn't admit to doing it even though he was caught between rounds and I never found out what he put it in to hit it, whatever it was it left no marks on the shell and he was a good aim because it looked like he only hit it once.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 08-13-2014).]

NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

What are you making? The solid Copper slug may not look right but is safer.

does not fit. trying to get intact rounds for designer crafts.

[This message has been edited by NickD3.4 (edited 08-13-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Have you tried to discharge 1 round in water or gel to see if it will fit the case afterwards?

im going to try that soon, I thought about it.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

mold your own,

http://www.amazon.com/Lyman...eywords=bullet+molds

Steve

thanks steve, this was my next step...my friend does molds and suggests this as well.
zetabird

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there rimfire theres no primer in the center couldn't you in theory drill thru the center with a super small bit then flood the round with something that would neutralize the powder and primer paint? i would try it on one you already pulled the bullet and powder out of
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Crush the shell near the projectile so it deformes the casing around the end and should pull out easily. Then use another shell with the pliers for a un damage casing.

DOES IT HAVE TO BE A .22?!?!?!? man they are so hard to find these days..... Would a .50cal shell work for ya?

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 08-13-2014).]

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Not even close. A zip gun is a gun (and I use that term very loosely...more like a "projectile weapon") that's made out of whatever parts and pieces of other stuff you've got laying around. A piece of pipe for the barrel, a spring and nail for the firing pin, a block of wood for a grip attached to the "barrel" with some baling wire would be a good example of a zip gun.

NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zetabird:

there rimfire theres no primer in the center couldn't you in theory drill thru the center with a super small bit then flood the round with something that would neutralize the powder and primer paint? i would try it on one you already pulled the bullet and powder out of

drilling into the primer compound seems sketchy....
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NickD3.4

3383 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Originally posted by revin:

Crush the shell near the projectile so it deformes the casing around the end and should pull out easily. Then use another shell with the pliers for a un damage casing.

DOES IT HAVE TO BE A .22?!?!?!? man they are so hard to find these days..... Would a .50cal shell work for ya?

yeah, they are getting very hard to find.....
that may work.......
zetabird

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the few empty casings ive had dont have any compound in the center, maby with a super tiny bit, i have some that are to corroded to use i may pull one apart and see if it can be drilled safley
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can give you a bunch of references for .223, .270, 30 cal rounds. My son deals with drilling out bullets and casings for turning bullet pens.
PFF
System Bot
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
basically, im looking into crafting custom jewelry, but would like to utilize .22 LR for many projects. Making them inert and undamaged however is proving to be a challenge.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your making jewellery I would find a alternative to lead. Wood with some silver paint would be close enough, you'd just make the wood slugs long enough to bottom out in the shell and glue them in.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a kid, we would grasp the case in one hand, the round in the other and essentially try to bend the round at the crimp. Similar to the way you might break a wood pencil. It can be done if you continue to try bending and rotating the round. It can make your fingers pretty sore but the round will come out without damage. Not much chance of the round discharging since the only thing in contact are your fingers.
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

If your making jewellery I would find a alternative to lead. Wood with some silver paint would be close enough, you'd just make the wood slugs long enough to bottom out in the shell and glue them in.

lead danger is so over hyped.......

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock