Started on: 07-31-2014 09:45 PM
Replies: 20 (364 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 08-04-2014 01:35 AM
Fats

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://abcnews.go.com/Healt...us/story?id=24799794

Two American patients stricken with Ebola are to be flown from Africa to the U.S., ABC News has learned.

The patients will be transported one by one, sources said.

Meanwhile, there are plans to transfer a patient with Ebola virus infection to Emory University Hospital's special facility containment unit within the next several days, hospital officials said today in a statement. Officials added that it's unclear when the patient will arrive in Atlanta.

"Emory University Hospital has a specially built isolation unit set up in collaboration with the CDC to treat patients who are exposed to certain serious infectious diseases," hospital officials said. "It is physically separate from other patient areas and has unique equipment and infrastructure that provide an extraordinarily high level of clinical isolation. It is one of only four such facilities in the country."

"Emory University Hospital physicians, nurses and staff are highly trained in the specific and unique protocols and procedures necessary to treat and care for this type of patient. For this specially trained staff, these procedures are practiced on a regular basis throughout the year so we are fully prepared for this type of situation."

Welp, it was fun while it lasted, but I've seen how this movie ends.

Brad
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like I said in MEM's. "The Stand" thread, it's been nice knowing you guys.

Exactly who in the huge crowd of idiots thought this would be a good idea? What possible treatment can be provided here that can't be flown there at equal, or lower cost?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So long, and thanks for all the fish !

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the song ass and hole in the ground fits the decision makers to this situation very appropriately
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

Exactly who in the huge crowd of idiots thought this would be a good idea?

The CDC is part of the Dept. of Health and Human Services, under the direction of the Executive Branch of the Federal Government.
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:
What possible treatment can be provided here that can't be flown there at equal, or lower cost?

I have a strong feeling its more for research than "treatment"..

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 08-01-2014).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
The CDC is part of the Dept. of Health and Human Services, under the direction of the Executive Branch of the Federal Government.

Isn't that the same CDC that was shipping live Anthrax around in ziplock bags?

I think Jonesy may be right. Probably going to do some research. And a vaccine would be nice.

Since I live near Atlanta and drive to within a couple miles of CDC and Emory every day, I want to be annoyed about this.
But the truth of the matter is that there is all sorts of nastiness there, that they have managed to keep it all under control, so far.

We shall see.

At least I live upwind.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-01-2014).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post08-01-2014 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Great....

we are screwed.

As we used to call it, a SNAFU.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 08-01-2014).]

Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry boonie, didn't see that you already posted this in other thread.

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 08-01-2014).]

Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silentassassin185:

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at the upside. A major breakout would thin the surplus population and help the economy.
Send a few of the patients to the border camps and it'll fix the immigration problem, too.

Thanks Obama!
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Since I live near Atlanta and drive to within a couple miles of CDC and Emory every day, I want to be annoyed about this.
But the truth of the matter is that there is all sorts of nastiness there, that they have managed to keep it all under control, so far.

We shall see.

At least I live upwind.

I'm glad I'm a bit further out of the splash zone. When my daughter worked at the CDC, she was playing with Typhus every day; I'm sure glad she no longer works there.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We shall see.

At least I live upwind.

Most of the time you live up wind.

------------------
Ron
Count Down to A Better America: http://countingdownto.com/countdown/196044
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

At least I live upwind.

Its not an airborne virus, it can only be transmitted through transfer of body fluids. So as long as you don't stop by the hospital to meet him for a conjugal visit you'll be just fine.

All joking aside, he would have to bleed, spit or somehow get some fluid from his body onto your skin for you to have a chance of infection. Those most at risk will be the doctors who have to deal with any needles and blood work.

I saw on the news the Doctor who was infected has arrived in Atlanta. He was in a full containment suit, as well as the medics with him. Surprisingly he was walking under his own power, which nobody expected. I wish the guy luck, he's gonna need it.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 08-02-2014).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is always the issue that just maybe the Doctors don't know all there is to know about Ebola. You hear all the time that some strains of Bacteria change themselves, kind of a evolution type thing, some get more dangerous in the way they spread, some not so. Kinda like living near the St. Andres fault line.

Hope this turn out well for those being treated, but the whole issue is pretty darn scarey.
Purple86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hummm... So bring it back to the US.. Weaponize it, make it aiborne and.... Oh sorry, I'm sure that would never happen...
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Purple86GT:

Hummm... So bring it back to the US.. Weaponize it, make it aiborne and.... Oh sorry, I'm sure that would never happen...

African and Asian Ants are not affected by it, but can be carriers, so you get a bunch of those, contaminate them, and drop on your enemies large city. Won't take long this stuff will spread like wild fire. Problem is, that unless you have a cure for it, you'd have to ban all international traffic into your Country, no one could be allowed to enter.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 08-03-2014).]

carnut122

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

African and Asian Ants are not affected by it, but can be carriers, so you get a bunch of those, contaminate them, and drop on your enemies large city. Won't take long is the stuff will spread like wild fire. Problem is, that unless you have a cure for it, you'd have to ban all international traffic into your Country, no one could be allowed to enter.

I hope these GA fire-ants aren't immune. I'd love to see them suffer along with us humans. Thankfully, they're not immune to gasoline with 10% ethanol.
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

Its not an airborne virus, it can only be transmitted through transfer of body fluids. So as long as you don't stop by the hospital to meet him for a conjugal visit you'll be just fine.

All joking aside, he would have to bleed, spit or somehow get some fluid from his body onto your skin for you to have a chance of infection. Those most at risk will be the doctors who have to deal with any needles and blood work.

I saw on the news the Doctor who was infected has arrived in Atlanta. He was in a full containment suit, as well as the medics with him. Surprisingly he was walking under his own power, which nobody expected. I wish the guy luck, he's gonna need it.

Sorta correct.

While technically true that Ebola is not (that we know of -yet) capable of being blown about in the air and remaining viable for very long, it IS still a virus. Just as influenza, rabies, smallpox, viral meningitis, the common cold and a whole host of other human ailments are viruses. Unlike a bacteria, or a parasite, it has to have a host to replicate, but.....a virus is a virus is a virus--and with only a very few exceptions, they all get transmitted the same way, and the most common ways are thru aerosol exposure. Sneeze, or cough, and the tiny droplets expelled from an infected and contagious person infect another either because the newly exposed person directly breathes in the aerosol, or they get it on their hands and then touch their face, lips, eyes etc.
New lab tests show that the Ebola strain that is causing all the problems can remain viable for up to 3 days in dried blood, spit, saliva, semen, and other body fluids.

Pandemic. If ya just gotta have a pandemic, this is one you want. I't not that it is difficult to get--it's that it has a high mortality rate, and the ones that do get it aren't going to be walking around for long spreading it to other people.

Unlike influenza and smallpox, this one runs it's course fairly quickly. The same thing that scares the public regarding pandemics, ebola gives the medical community a different outlook. With a very high mortality rate and fast onset debilitating symptoms, the risk of most modern populations being decimated by ebola is just not a very likely scenario. Yes--of those who do become infected, a relatively high percentage will die, but then, it's done. It will disappear back into whatever the original reservoir is until the next time it shows up.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock