Started on: 07-29-2014 12:45 PM
Replies: 31 (412 views)
Last post by: pontiackid86 on 07-31-2014 11:58 PM
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I want to get a 410 shotgun rifle for the girlfriend.(I think the 12G is too much)
I want more than a one shot deal, but do they even make them?
I have been looking in pawn shops but nobody has any.

Any recomendations?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FlyinFieros

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
User Banned

Report this Post07-29-2014 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All the 410's Ive seen have been break over..

I'd try a 20G or even a 16G. My favorite shotgun is a bolt action 16G.

[This message has been edited by FlyinFieros (edited 07-29-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They all make pump action shotguns in 410, Mossberg, Remington, Winchester

http://www.mossberg.com/shotgun-gauge/410

http://www.remington.com/pr...-870-wingmaster.aspx

http://www.northlandoutdoor...3286/publisher_ID/5/

there is nothing that sounds like a pump action shotgun for home defense and a 410 is actually a very good gun to start a smaller woman out on.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-29-2014).]

FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-29-2014 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
They all make pump action shotguns in 410, Mossberg, Remington, Winchester

That's cool! Haven't seen those before.

Link: http://www.mossberg.com/shotgun-gauge/410
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FlyinFieros:

That's cool! Haven't seen those before.

Link: http://www.mossberg.com/shotgun-gauge/410

Long time ago I worked at China mart selling guns and the ladies wanted something for home defense that wouldn't knock them over so I always had one in the show case to show them. nice little guns for a kid to start out on as well.

edit to add I love your avatar, I want one of those !

Steve

FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-29-2014 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
the ladies wanted something for home defense that wouldn't knock them over

I'm actually checking out that pistol grip 410 for the lady.

Even fits the 3" shells instead of the 2.5"!
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

So I want to get a 410 shotgun rifle for the girlfriend.(I think the 12G is too much)
I want more than a one shot deal, but do they even make them?
I have been looking in pawn shops but nobody has any.

Any recomendations?

What purpose is the gun going to be used for ?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FlyinFieros:

I'm actually checking out that pistol grip 410 for the lady.

Even fits the 3" shells instead of the 2.5"!

Here is a round for that 410 with a lot of info on its use for self defense, they say at close range with a slug they are as powerful as a 357

http://www.winchester.com/P.../Pages/pdx1-410.aspx

Steve

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

Excellent question. You have to keep this in mind above all else.

Also, has she ever fired a 410 or other shotgun? I'd recommend trying out a few different ones to see what she likes.
What is her experience level?
410 is pretty small. They make handguns in 410.

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If she's a smaller lady with short arms the Rossi/Taurus .410/.45LC Circuit Judge(The rifle version of the .410/.45LC Judge revolver in the video above) is an amazing gun. It is a short stock rifle, but isn't bad to shoot.

FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

If she's a smaller lady with short arms the Rossi/Taurus .410/.45LC Circuit Judge(The rifle version of the .410/.45LC Judge revolver in the video above) is an amazing gun. It is a short stock rifle, but isn't bad to shoot.

I have one and it is soooo much fun to shoot! I like that you can switch the choke out and shoot 45 long colt. Just be careful when shooting though, since its a revolver there is a slight gap between the cylinder and barrel. If your forward arm is to high you will get a burn when you fire it. It has a shield to prevent this but it isn't fool proof.
------------------
ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

[This message has been edited by FIEROPHREK (edited 07-29-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a 20 gauge for the misses for home defense. 12 was a little too much then. I actually think she would prefer it now, because she is experienced, but just make sure to remove the plug out of the magazine, "ONLY IF" its for home defense. All shotguns come with a plug limiting it to two rounds, because it's federal law that if you are hunting, you are only allowed 2 rounds. If you use it for home defense, it doesn't matter, but if you do then go hunting with that same shotgun, make sure you put the plug back in. If a game warden catches you hunting without the plug, there will be a hefty fine.

Jim
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a very old Mossberg bolt action 410. Can't remember but it holds a few shells in an internal mag. The only thing I might think about is how much you will use it. The 410 shells seam to be the most expensive shotgun shells out there.

When it comes to small chicks and guns (drool) once your out of the hangun arena they should be able to handle and shoot almost anything with proper training.
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love my Norinco double hammer 410. The quality of their firearms I find is as good if not better than a lot of the American firearms companies now days. Their M14 clones are now better quality than Springfield arms, using forged receivers rather than cast parts on the Springfield. Check them out, you might be pleasantly surprised, and they are a fraction of the price of the US alternatives.
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rattlesnake / coyote mostly. I hope not a little field mouse

She never fired a weapon before( really doesn't want to ) but living in the house where there are such hurtful amninals, I would feel better if she had something the would spray a pattern rather than try to shoot a .22
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

revin

8684 posts
Member since Aug 2001

rattlesnake / coyote mostly. I hope not a little field mouse

She never fired a weapon before( really doesn't want to ) but living in the house where there are such hurtful amninals, I would feel better if she had something the would spray a pattern rather than try to shoot a .22
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just my opinion, but I think a 20ga Auto with a cut down barrel would be a better option for her. There really isn't much lead in a .410.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

All shotguns come with a plug limiting it to two rounds, because it's federal law that if you are hunting, you are only allowed 2 rounds.

Jim

I believe that's only for migratory game birds. Here in IA if you're duck/goose hunting you need to have the plug in, if the CO catches you without you're in trouble, even if you only have 2 in the magazine. On the other hand, you can have a "full" magazine (4 on my Wingmaster + 1 in the pipe) when pheasant or turkey hunting. We deer hunt with shotguns (slugs) here in IA and you are allowed a full magazine then too.

Back on topic, I would say let her shoot a 20 gauge and see if she can handle it, doesn't kick near as hard as a 12 gauge in my opinion. My wife can handle a few shots from my 12 gauge but if we're shooting clays for an extended period of time she'll use my buddy's 20 gauge.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The federal requirement for plugging the magazine on some weapons is to limit the weapon to three shots. All of my auto shotguns have plugs and all hold a total of three shells when hunting game birds. BTW, the 410 is also available in a semi auto from several manufacturers. If you purchase one, make certain that it handles 3" shells for a bit more powder. A 28 gauge shotgun is a bit larger than the 410 and is available in multiple formats (pump, semi-auto, single shot, double barrel, etc.). The 20 gauge may be a good compromise wrt power, shell size, and initial cost of weapon and ammo.

Remember that a lighter weapon may give you a bit more recoil so take that into consideration.

Nelson
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

.All shotguns come with a plug limiting it to two rounds, because it's federal law that if you are hunting, you are only allowed 2 rounds. If you use it for home defense, it doesn't matter, but if you do then go hunting with that same shotgun, make sure you put the plug back in. If a game warden catches you hunting without the plug, there will be a hefty fine.

Jim

Huh? When did this come into play? I've hunted my entire life putting a dowel in my 12ga pump to only allow 3 shells while duck hunting. But for pheasants I've always had 5 shells in the shotgun. I haven't deer hunted for years, but I always had 5 slugs in the shotgun Jim, you sure this isn't just a Virginia law?
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe it is just Virginia. It's been a few years since I bought it. So check your local laws first then.
ray b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
THE MOSSIE BOLTACTION

was a 3 chamber rounds in the mag
in the barrel makes 4 total

I loaded blank bird buck slug
saddly the rust on the houseboat ate that gun
a very good gun with little kick
I could shoot one handed
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Circuit judge. I'm a big fan of the judge I may try to swap my glock 22 for one.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnT723O5fZg

Nice.

But nothing beats a good 'ole double-barrel shotgun for shooting watermelons.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If hunting, check local laws/rules. State and any Counties where you will hunt. 410 has legal problems hunting in some areas because will take normal bullets.

20ga is good for many think 12ga is too big.
Suggest borrow 20ga to try them first.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnT723O5fZg

Like that (wish my girl was a shooter like her )

Well sorry guys it will NOT be for hunting. just killin'

The whole thing is it will be in it's case 99.5% of the time I have a feeling. I can bet it would go more like ..."Honey I saw a _____, get rid of it for me."
Then I will take out the 12G and have a good time making slush out of whatever. heh heh

Thanks for ALL the ideas, I am liking the pump action, but thinking a single shot with a blank in it would be about right for her. Big noise maker would scare HER back into the house and whatever shooting at scare it away...till daddy comes home
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a mossburg 500E 410 pistol grip... fun as hell and cheap to shoot.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just my opinion, but I think a 20ga Auto with a cut down barrel would be a better option for her. There really isn't much lead in a .410.

I really do agree with that, even though I recommended the 410 for the women who came into the store when I was selling them, those women just seamed to be afraid of all of the guns and I figured the least kick weapon would get them into shooting. To my department managers horror I also recommended that they go out and practice with them, and if they didn't have a place to do so with a competent instructor gave them my number and address because I lived right behind the store and have 25 acres that I can fire any gun in without repercussions from the local law enforcement. He literally cringed the first time he was there and heard me say that and told me I really shouldn't do that. I said so it would be better to sell a woman a gun that has no knowledge of them and let her loose. Come on dude that to me is just scary so I changed the way I said it to recommending they get someone with knowledge of guns to teach them at a local range and if they didn't want to or couldn't afford it to give me a call or stop in the store and I would arrange a time they could come over to my place and I would show them proper safe handling of their weapon. Never actually got taken up on that but still felt better about it because I gave them the option.

As a side note and something that still bothers me today,

I was the only Wal Mart sporting goods associate at the time that ever sold a gun to someone who killed themselves with it on purpose, worst part of it, was he was one of the associates of the store that I knew very well and had worked with on the overnight truck unloading crew before being asked to work in the sporting goods department. Really got me when I came in a week or so later and the store manager who signed the paperwork along with me took me to the side and told me what happened and that the state police were there to talk to me about the sale to him.

Worst part and reason I mention it was it was the 410 single shot gun talked about by the OP.

Steve
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Well sorry guys it will NOT be for hunting. just killin'

Killing what? Birds? Snakes?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Stuff that comes a-knockin unwelcomed I suppose.

PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

things (people) who are in places they should not be.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock