Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Anyone used this stuff, weldable primer paint?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone used this stuff, weldable primer paint? by 84fiero123
Started on: 07-24-2014 10:28 PM
Replies: 12 (148 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 07-25-2014 07:37 AM
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went to get some hay today and was talking to the guy and his son, they also have a small machine shop on their farm as well. We were talking about welding and painting and the kid, well he's like 35 or 40, said he had seen this stuff on a car show and suggested it for something I am doing right now.

the stuff is called Galvax it's a zinc rich aerosol paint primer also available in liquid form you can weld over evidently, I have never heard of it but it has been 10 years since I worked as a welder so it may not have been available when I was working so I figured I would ask if any of you have used it and what you thought of it and the results?

http://www.net4sale.com/Sho...gory=12&idproduct=42

Thanks ahead of time,

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You would think having a paint on the metal would be potentially contaminate the weld making it weaker.

That's how I was taught anyway. Plus, I bet the fumes are toxic too.

Brad
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

You would think having a paint on the metal would be potentially contaminate the weld making it weaker.

That's how I was taught anyway. Plus, I bet the fumes are toxic too.

Brad

Oh I bet they are as it is like a galvanized coating and is full of zinc so I am sure you would need a respirator at least if not oxygen.

We started to have to use that stuff in some situations when I was welding for a living it just depended on the work, environment, and other things but the thought of being able to paint something before welding intrigues me. in some cases like a tank that would be sealed when you were done welding it together and would be unable to real paint it after welding, inside anyway.

And if it would affect weld porosity is another question I would ask as well.

Steve
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've personally never used the stuff, but if it does contain zinc, you will get some toxic gas off of it when welding - how much depends on how much zinc is in the paint.

Welding galvanized steel has same issues, welder needs to be set for it in order to get a good bond, and fumes are dangerously toxic. Car Manufacturers using one or two side galvanized steel weld it only in highly ventilated are, mostly done by robots for safety reasons.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 07-24-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

I've personally never used the stuff, but if it does contain zinc, you will get some toxic gas off of it when welding - how much depends on how much zinc is in the paint.

Welding galvanized steel has same issues, welder needs to be set for it in order to get a good bond, and fumes are dangerously toxic. Car Manufacturers using one or two side galvanized steel weld it only in highly ventilated are, mostly done by robots for safety reasons.

That part I know, I was a welder for a couple of years at GM and I had one welder set up for steel, one for silicon bronze and one for galvanized for certain welds on some parts that were galvanized.

I am welding rocker panels onto a car that were just regular steel, no paint, to the car and the new non galvanized inside rocker panel and non of it is painted so I am intrigued with the idea of painting the inside of these parts before I weld them together to prevent rust after the fact.

Steve
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used it when I worked in the machine shop back in California. They called it cold galvanizing, but yes there is enough zinc in it to start an arc and you can weld right through it. The problem is as has already been suggested, welding on something that is galvanized in zinc has the by product of cyanide in the fumes. So yes, a respirator is a must.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Khw

11139 posts
Member since Jun 2008

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I am welding rocker panels onto a car that were just regular steel, no paint, to the car and the new non galvanized inside rocker panel and non of it is painted so I am intrigued with the idea of painting the inside of these parts before I weld them together to prevent rust after the fact.

Steve

That won't work as the heat will burn it off on the other side of the weld. If you've ever welded on galvanized pipe, you remember how it turns white and flakes off near the weld? Well, this stuff does basically the same thing.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-24-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I've used it when I worked in the machine shop back in California. They called it cold galvanizing, but yes there is enough zinc in it to start an arc and you can weld right through it. The problem is as has already been suggested, welding on something that is galvanized in zinc has the by product of cyanide in the fumes. So yes, a respirator is a must.

Not worried about wearing the respirator, just the welds, I have had to wear the respirator before welding galvanized. but I am curious how the welds were over this stuff?

Steve
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not worried about wearing the respirator, just the welds, I have had to wear the respirator before welding galvanized. but I am curious how the welds were over this stuff?

Steve

The welds were fine. The galvanization flakes off as you weld so it doesn't really hurt the weld. Unlike paint which burns up and gets gunky near the weld.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-24-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

The welds were fine. The galvanization flakes off as you weld so it doesn't really hurt the weld. Unlike paint which burns up and gets gunky near the weld.

Great that's what I wanted to know, I wasn't sure if the weld area would stay painted and if it is just the weld itself then I would guess that would be alright as I will be painting the outside and not able to get inside after its welded unless I drill those 1 1/2" holes that were in the original panels in the back and put the plugs in, why bother if only the weld area itself on the inside is all that burns off. as long as it is just the weld area and doesn't bleed out to far anyway.

Thanks. To bad I already gave you a positive or I would give you one now.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-24-2014).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks. To bad I already gave you a positive or I would give you one now.

Steve

It's all good Steve. Just so you know, I have you as a + to.
PFF
System Bot
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rest of us will leave the room if you two need some time.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

The rest of us will leave the room if you two need some time.

Ha, Ha, Ha !

To be honest I can never figure out why anyone has me rated as positive.

Steve

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock