Started on: 07-20-2014 09:53 AM
Replies: 21 (350 views)
Last post by: NEPTUNE on 07-21-2014 05:01 PM
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://variety.com/2014/tv...es-at-86-1201265361/

Amiable actor James Garner, whose moderately successful film career was eclipsed by two extraordinarily popular television series, “Maverick” and “The Rockford Files,” has died, according to reports. He was 86.

Like many popular leading men of Hollywood’s heyday, Garner boasted all-American good looks and a winning personality that carried him through comedy and drama alike. He was one of the first of TV’s leading men to cross over into films in the ’60s with such popular movies as “The Thrill of It All” and “The Americanization of Emily.” But he had his greatest impact in television, first on “Maverick” in the ’50s and then in the ’70s on “The Rockford Files,” for which he won an Emmy in 1977. He later appeared in several quality telepics including “Promise,” “My Name Is Bill W.” and “Barbarians at the Gate,” as well as the occasional strong feature such as “Victor/Victoria” and “Murphy’s Romance,” for which he captured his sole Oscar nomination for lead actor.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You beat me to it - I was just looking for some good Youtube clips.

I'm not old enough to remember Maverick but I loved Rockford Files. Dig Jim's look of sly satisfaction when he loses the bad guys in this clip:

And don't forget his series of commercials for Polaroid, with Mariette Hartley:

Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have always liked James Garner from his Maverick days (I'm that old) and had been wondering of late why I hadn't seen or heard much about him, since his appearances on 8 Simple Rules. In the last several years many of the stars I had known from my younger days have gone to the great beyond.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just watched a TV pilot from 1956 called "The Man From 1997". James Garner's role in that movie was much like his character in "Maverick" or the "Rockford Files". He was either type cast early on as the "lovable rouge" or maybe that is who he was. RIP
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many people don't know that James Garner served his country in the Korean War as an infantryman. He was wounded in a night ambush, became separated from his patrol and was later rescued by his platoon leader. Garner refused the use of a stretcher and walked back to the American line despite his leg wound.

The information about Garner's service was fairly common in the late '50s-early '60s but as his fame as an actor increased and as the nation forgot about Korea, Garner's service was also forgotten.

RIP James Garner and thank you for serving your country.
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my favorite actors. Always pissed me off he got financially screwed so bad doing the Rockford Files.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Among Irish audiences, his most well-known role may well be as Lieutenant Robert Hendley aka “the Scrounger” in The Great Escape."

Report in TheJournal (Ireland) with video clip from The Great Escape :
http://www.thejournal.ie/ja...rip-1580457-Jul2014/

James Garner and The Great Escape : That would be the first connection that I would always make.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 07-20-2014).]

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
James Garner was always one of my favorites. He was superb in the Great Escape. If you haven't seen it, get Support
Your Local Sheriff
, which also has good performances by Walter Brennan ( Paw, you been touchin up yore hair again? ), Jack Elam, and Bruce Dern. Don't bother with the one he did after that Support Your Local Gunfighter. It is terrible.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sad to see him gone. He was one of the good ones. RIP

Maybe not one of his better known films, but I liked it.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-20-2014).]

cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also remember him in early Mazda commercials.
"The Great Escape" had too many great performances to pick just one. They all must have been overwhelmed with the talent around them in that movie.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-20-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Maybe not one of his better known films, but I liked it.

Heh, I had forgotten.
Watching it now.
PFF
System Bot
otakudude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for otakududeSend a Private Message to otakududeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh that's a shame. I first saw him in old reruns of Maverick and was hooked ever since. He had a subtle way of acting there and in other roles that I really enjoyed. The only one out there today who can even come close in this regard is Tom Sellec imho.

[This message has been edited by otakudude (edited 07-20-2014).]

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by otakudude:

Oh that's a shame. I first saw him in old reruns of Maverick and was hooked ever since. He had a subtle way of acting there and in other roles that I really enjoyed. The only one out there today who can even come close in this regard is Tom Sellec imho.

Appropriate considering Selleck made an appearance on the Rockford Files...

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember the Maverick movie that he was in with Mel Gibson. I don't remember ever watching the Maverick TV series but I did watch The Rockford Files. I also remember watching him in the movie Murphy's Romance. I liked him as an actor, sad to hear he's passed .

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-20-2014).]

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget another good one, Gran Prix.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://jalopnik.com/maveric...ill-today-1607937585

It's a sad day for those of us who love being entertained and love cars, because actor and lifelong gearhead James Garner just died. The star of The Rockford Files died at 86 of causes not yet revealed, in his home in Los Angeles.

Garner, after starring in the racing movie Grand Prix, found that he had a real aptitude for racing — real F1 drivers consulting on the film told him that had he not been an actor, he could have been a formidable racer. That started his long passion for racing and cars.

Garner was so interested in cars and racing that he even sought out novel means to share his love with family and friends, thanks to a bizarre one-off four-seat Indy car he had built. Cars continued to be prominent in his work, with his iconic series The Rockford Files featuring a Firebird that was almost as important a character to the show as Garner himself.

Garner extolled the virtues of smooth rotary engines to America as spokesperson for Mazda in the 1980s, and even came up with a novel sort of J-turn for his television show that was named "the Rockford turn."

Garner was a fine actor, a genuine lover of cars, and a surprisingly talented driver. He will be missed.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NOOOOOOO!! James Garner is one of my favorite actors ever! The fact that he was a car guy too only made him that much better in my eyes.

RIP Mr. Garner

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another good one gone.

R.I.P.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Married to the same woman since 1956. I loved him in Maverick. The old series and the more recent movie with Mel Gibson.

Jim
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was a fan too. From Maverick, to the Great escape(!) to his later movie roles in Space Cowboys and Murphys Romance.
I don't mean to turn this political, but he was a lifelong Democrat, a supporter of civil rights, and he loathed Ronald Reagan.
Sorry, guys.
He was asked to run for office by the Republicans, but turned them down.
Another reason I liked and admired the man.
http://www.inquisitr.com/13...it-came-to-politics/

http://variety.com/2011/biz...un-for-office-37170/

------------------

I speak English. Sue me.

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 07-21-2014).]

Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What on gods green earth made you think that was at all necessary?

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

I was a fan too. From Maverick, to the Great escape(!) to his later movie roles in Space Cowboys and Murphys Romance.
I don't mean to turn this political, but he was a lifelong Democrat, a supporter of civil rights, and he loathed Ronald Reagan.
Sorry, guys.
He was asked to run for office by the Republicans, but turned them down.
Another reason I liked and admired the man.
http://www.inquisitr.com/13...it-came-to-politics/

http://variety.com/2011/biz...un-for-office-37170/

PFF
System Bot
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red88FF:

What on gods green earth made you think that was at all necessary?

I was only adding a couple of more good things about a man we all admired.

Ya'see, he wasn't just another good looking actor who could remember his lines, he was smart too.
Read his book.

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 07-21-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock