Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Help a Lady Across the Street? Uh, not quite. (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Help a Lady Across the Street? Uh, not quite. by Formula88
Started on: 07-06-2014 02:13 AM
Replies: 63 (991 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 09-25-2014 01:58 AM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The California Highway Patrol (CHP) said in a statement to KABC-TV that the officer had ordered the pedestrian to stop, but she disobeyed him.

According to the CHP, the officer then tried to place her under arrest because he feared she might be hurt crossing the lanes of traffic.

I'm glad he was able to keep her from being hurt.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Police to serve and Protect......there own self intreset..
Nurb432

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The officer had ordered the pedestrian to stop, but she disobeyed him.

There is nothing else that needs to be said. ( and in most areas, jaywalking is illegal too so she broke 2 laws )

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 07-06-2014).]

V8 Vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-06-2014 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boy Scouts and nice people help little old ladies across the street. Here the Los Angeles Police gave a old lady a ticket for crossing too slow. This was several years ago and was a news story at the time.
Azz hole cop could have helped her across.

[This message has been edited by V8 Vega (edited 07-06-2014).]

V8 Vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-06-2014 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

V8 Vega

508 posts
Member since Jun 2007
This story is in the news here. The lady if you can call her that is a homeless bum known to cause trouble
And now I heard this morning the family of the parasite is taking advantage of the situation to sue someone, the state I guess. Their big chance has come at last.

[This message has been edited by V8 Vega (edited 07-06-2014).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by V8 Vega:

Boy Scouts and nice people help little old ladies across the street. Here the Los Angeles Police gave a old lady a ticket for crossing too slow. This was several years ago and was a news story at the time.
Azz hole cop could have helped her across.

She was a traffic hazard, and refused to follow orders. She got what she deserved.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

There is nothing else that needs to be said. ( and in most areas, jaywalking is illegal too so she broke 2 laws )

And in your book that's a valid reason for a police officer to wrestle someone to the ground and punch them as seen in the video? That's sick.

What also concerns me that the officer does that openly in public... apparently no fear of any consequences. No wonder that this happens again and again.

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 07-06-2014).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

And in your book that's a valid reason for a police officer to wrestle someone to the ground and punch them in that way? That's sick.

Not following orders and resisting? Yes, it is a valid reason. Not doing that can get a cop killed and/or the criminal. ( and in this case, innocent civilians trying to avoid running her down and causing an accident. I have seen that before out on the interstate during rush hour, and its not pretty. Of course i wouldn't risk hitting a car beside me or a wall, and just run them down. My front end can be fixed, but if i flip the car... i might be dead )

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not following orders and resisting? Yes, it is a valid reason. Not doing that can get a cop killed and/or the criminal.

Sick, as I said. There are better ways to deal with such a situation. And if the cop doesn't know how he's a thug and/or not properly trained and/or in the wrong job.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sick, as I said. There are better ways to deal with such a situation. And if the cop doesn't know how he's a thug and/or not properly trained and/or in the wrong job.

Criminals need to be restrained. Period.

EDIT: And every criminal is an unknown threat *at the time*. What is their intent? What drugs are they are on? etc.. You dont know. Get them down in the fastest way possible.

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Criminals need to be restrained. Period.

EDIT: And every criminal is an unknown threat *at the time*. What is their intent? What drugs are they are on? etc.. You dont know. Get them down in the fastest way possible.

And then you punch them while they're down. Sick for you, sicker for a trained officer, sickest if there are no consequences.

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 07-06-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And then you punch them while they're down. Sick for you, sicker for a trainer officer, sickest if there are no consequences.

There are consequences if you dont.

Try being a cop for a week, and with luck you get one of the types i'm talking about. No, not everyone is out to kill you due to the badge, but it only takes one. One time to let your guard down , and you don't go home.

Besides, criminals do not deserve compassion. None. They chose their path, now they get to live with it.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There are consequences if you dont.

Try being a cop for a week, and with luck you get one of the types i'm talking about. No, not everyone is out to kill you due to the badge, but it only takes one. One time to let your guard down , and you don't go home.

Besides, criminals do not deserve compassion. None. They chose their path, now they get to live with it.

With luck, you'll get the beat down you deserve next time you're stopped for speeding.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

With luck, you'll get the beat down you deserve next time you're stopped for speeding.

if i refuse to cooperate and resist arrest, i deserve it. ( note, i wouldn't do either so wouldn't be getting a beat down )
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-06-2014 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beating a woman like that is absolutely disgusting. Whatever the case, that PIG was not in his right morally to assault a woman with that much force. Sure things were happening that we did not witness, but his excessive use of force was sickening. And all of that for jaywalking, and not listening to an officer's orders?

*insert tough internet guy here* I wonder how that officer would feel if a guy like me pummeled him in such a fashion? Just relentlessly pounded him into submission?

I also would never place myself in a position like the one the woman did. I have respect for all that which is around me, but there comes a time when we need to standup against bad cops.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

And all of that for jaywalking

"Endangering others lives" would be more accurate. I am 100% positive that simple 'jay walking' would not have got this response. Doing it in traffic, will, and should.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-06-2014 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can agree with a lot of your principals Nurb, but on this front I cannot. I am not going to ruin my day worrying about this.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

if i refuse to cooperate and resist arrest, i deserve it. ( note, i wouldn't do either so wouldn't be getting a beat down )

If the cop says you're resisting, you're resisting. Much like you, the only opinion the cop cares about is his own.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-06-2014 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe she did not comply with a lawful order from a police officer.
I believe he was within his rights to take her into custody.
I believe he used excessive force in doing so.

But...the one thing he could not afford to do was lose control of the situation.
Suspects can grab guns, pull a knife, run out into the street, etc.
So the amount of force he needed to use to control the situation at the moment is left to his judgment.
But the one thing that was imperative for him once she physically & dangerously resisted a lawful order, was to neutralize that danger.
He chose the level of force he thought was appropriate.

After the fact, it will be left to others to determine if his judgment was correct or not.
But in the moment...he went with his instinct & training.
"Control the situation".

Many people have lots to say about police officers doing their jobs.
Unfortunately, few could actually do it with the non-confrontational calmness they preach from their easychair...it can get a little rougher then simply talking them into handcuffs.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-06-2014).]

fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nurb--- These guys don't understand what you are preaching to them..

Let me try to explain it to those of little faith

Cops never lie,and if they see you than you are imedietaly a suspect and are intent on doing harm....They should use force to bring you to there bidding and have to use or produce no other reason than you did not cower amongst them and bow your head while you heed there word as there judicial right of rule and subjugation over you.....They are owed our unlimited Love and respect at there just and Nobel Rule...These HEROS dictate law and rule even though that Pesky Bill of Rights Hinders them......after all if they are beating or destroying you property even shooting ,or killing you Than it has to be your fault and you had better thank them and tell them there not paid enuff ,or loved enuff....

So now maybe these guys get it.......

[This message has been edited by fireboss (edited 07-06-2014).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-06-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Many people have lots to say about police officers doing their jobs.
Unfortunately, few could actually do it with the non-confrontational calmness they preach from their easychair...it can get a little rougher then simply talking them into handcuffs.

Perhaps I am wrong, but this should be changed to us. "They" should include you.
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-06-2014 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:

They should use force to bring you to there bidding and have to use or produce no other reason than you did not cower amongst them and bow your head while you heed there word as there judicial right of rule and subjugation over you.....

They are enforcing laws....not what they think is right or wrong.
That's for the court to decide.
And then if you choose, your very peers to decide.

P.S. I'm not saying all Cops are right all the time.
Or even the courts.
But that is the system put in place.....by us.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-06-2014).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not going to make a judgement on this one, have read online that the video only shows a small piece of what actually took place, as the Officer tried to prevent this person from getting hurt, or causing causing other accidents. The only thing very obvious in the video is that the person in street cloths helped the Officer get the woman under control.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So now maybe these guys get it.......

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Ah, I get it! The lady that was punched should have been armed to be able to defend herself from the cop! Why didn't I think of this? It's obvious, really...!
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003

I believe she did not comply with a lawful order from a police officer.
I believe he was within his rights to take her into custody.
I believe he used excessive force in doing so.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, few could actually do it with the non-confrontational calmness they preach from their easychair..

"Non-confrontational calmness" is not something I usually associate with the vast majority of people posting here - quite to the contrary.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If face punching was part of his training to subdue and control a perp, especially a female one, then he did his job. Maybe too well, if you ask me.

If he was supposed to use grappling, submission holds, and pressure points, etc. he may have some 'splaining to do. If he is in the wrong, he should lose his job if not serve time for battery. This would have been a perfect situation to use a tazer (if he had one). If he is in the wrong, her and her family SHOULD win their law suit and it should reflect the degree of authority that these cops are supposed to represent and subsequently ruin the relationship between themselves and civilians.

Yes cops have difficult jobs. Doing the RIGHT thing in various situations is what makes the job difficult. It is their responsibility to KNOW which tactic to use at what time. Just the same as them giving us a ticket for something we were unaware of. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cops never lie,and if they see you than you are imedietaly a suspect and are intent on doing harm..

I know you are begin sarcastic, but she was more than a "suspect", she **refused to comply with an order** to get out of the road. From that point forward shes a hostile suspect, and you have no idea what they are going to do next. She might have been suicidal and jumped in front of a car, causing an accident and killing innocents, as well as her self. She might have wanted to 'die by cop' so was going to attack him when he approached so another officer would shoot her. She might have been strung out on xyz drug and carrying a knife/gun/whatever..

Sure, from the safety of one's couch, its easy to second guess what could/should have happened. You were not there. Your ( and others ) life was not on the line. He had to act NOW.

If she had tried to comply and left the road, and then he beat her down, yes i would say it was totally wrong what he did and he should go down for it.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nurb432

33616 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

If face punching was part of his training to subdue and control a perp, especially a female one, then he did his job.

Being female is not relevant. I can show you 1000's of females in prison today that will kill you dead just because you breathe. I can show you even more that could if they wanted.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nurb432

33616 posts
Member since May 2006

Ah, I get it! The lady that was punched should have been armed to be able to defend herself from the cop! Why didn't I think of this? It's obvious, really...!

olny to people like you.
topcat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yet one more reason I do not frequent this forum as much. We have folks that support the OBVIOUS abuse of power and over the top arrest, and somehow blame the person being arrested for being a "homeless bum" (as if that is justifiable reason for the arresting officer's behavior)
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:

Yet one more reason I do not frequent this forum as much. We have folks that support the OBVIOUS abuse of power and over the top arrest, and somehow blame the person being arrested for being a "homeless bum" (as if that is justifiable reason for the arresting officer's behavior)

So people endangering others lives and refusing orders to quit is cool with you.

Gotcha.
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a crazy idea. Maybe police officers could be taught how to subdue someone other than "punch them in the head until they stop moving."
Nah. At least the cop didn't kill her to keep her safe.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

At least the cop didn't kill her to keep her safe.

Take away the option to tackle the person, then that is about all that is left.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"Endangering others lives" would be more accurate. I am 100% positive that simple 'jay walking' would not have got this response. Doing it in traffic, will, and should.

You might want to ask ASU professor Ursula Ore about that one.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

You might want to ask ASU professor Ursula Ore about that one.

Each case is different. I'm only speaking of this one.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Regarding the woman in California, tackling her may have been the only option in order to avoid a potentially deadly traffic situation, but it seems that punching her repeatedly was probably unnecessary and excessive.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Regarding the woman in California, tackling her may have been the only option in order to avoid a potentially deadly traffic situation, but it seems that punching her repeatedly was probably unnecessary and excessive.

I think most people here would disagree with even the tackle.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many years ago, in my misspent youth, I was involved in a violent confrontation with the MCSO. The deputies had shown up to break up a fight at a local watering hole, but I was not done. It took two of them to bring me down and I still would not give up. And no, I was not on drugs other than beer and testosterone. When I finally came to my senses and realized that they meant to do serious harm and that I could not possibly win, I stopped.

I ended up taking a real beating that night and learned a valuable lesson.

It is a different world today. Today they probably would have just shot me and been done with it.

The bottom line is this: even though I have been on the receiving end of police violence, I understand that at times, it is necessary, but only to a point. It is hard to know where to draw the line without enough information.
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know you are begin sarcastic,

Yes I was But regrettably Truthfull,

but she was more than a "suspect", she **refused to comply with an order**

She was more than a "suspect" she was a Victim ....And as you are so willing to give the benefit of doubt to the Man that was repeatly beating her in the head as she lay pinned underneath him...we do not know what he had ordered her to do or if she was jay walking as you state or if that was what he came up with when reality crept in he was be filmed....

From that point forward shes a hostile suspect, and you have no idea what they are going to do next. She might have been suicidal and jumped in front of a car, causing an accident and killing innocents, as well as her self. She might have wanted to 'die by cop' so was going to attack him when he approached so another officer would shoot her. She might have been strung out on xyz drug and carrying a knife/gun/whatever..

The only hostility we seen is of a Man beating a woman as she was pinned beneath him,take away the badge who would you have helped? The Idea of what is going to happen next is she goes to the Hospitial and he gets time off with pay while the Police investigators clears him (a police comrade of theres) and people like you defend his brutality towards the people he has sworn to protect are battered and charged with a crime not commited per your list:::

1.No suicidal car jumping in front of by her...
2.No die by cop...
3.No mention by anyone of Drugs..which they would jump on fast if true or in there eyes might be true
4.Weapons? What Weapons?

[This message has been edited by fireboss (edited 07-06-2014).]

fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fireboss

2248 posts
Member since Apr 2011

Sure, from the safety of one's couch, its easy to second guess what could/should have happened. You were not there. Your ( and others ) life was not on the line. He had to act NOW.

If she had tried to comply and left the road, and then he beat her down, yes i would say it was totally wrong what he did and he should go down for it.

Unfotunatly were not even safe on our couch...

You were not there either,but the only life that was "on the line "was hers...

and HE was the one threating it..
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock