Started on: 06-27-2014 02:16 PM
Replies: 15 (206 views)
Last post by: Tony Kania on 06-28-2014 02:53 PM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just 48 hours ago, Bosnia (Bosnia-Herzegovina) triumphed 3-1 over Iran in a FIFA World Cup soccer match in Brazil.

Today Bosnian Serbs (some of them) unveiled a statue to honor Gavrilo Princip. You know, the brilliant striker who scored two of their national team's three goals on Wednesday. Oh wait--brain fade. Not that Gavrilo Princip.

They gathered to strew flowers in homage around a new statue of Gavrilo Princip, the brilliant assassin who singlehandedly gunned down the young Archduke Ferdinand of Austria and his pregnant wife in 1914, an event that will forever be linked with the "opening whistle" (? not a soccer fan) of the First World War.

I just checked: No "Gavrilo Princip" listed on the FIFA World Cup roster for Bosnia.

World Cup. World War. I guess anyone could have a slip-up.

NBC News report and photo:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news...riggered-wwi-n142561

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 06-27-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-27-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am of Serbian decent. At leat my brothers and sisters are not killing thousand of "infidels".

This upsets you, but the inhumanity of muslims beheading school children does little to disturb you.

In Bosnia he is a hero. He fought against oppression. Unlike those like Boka Harrram (sp) who kidnap and rape for allah.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 06-27-2014).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't say that it upset me. It didn't. I thought it merited some satire.

As far as that other bit, what would you expect me to do? Make a new post for the latest atrocity to be reported? For the current day? For the current hour?

I admire the Muslims who do whatever they are able to do to either stop that, or slow it down, or in most cases, just demonstrate that they are not that kind of Muslim.

yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Goes to show (again) that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-27-2014 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Goes to show (again) that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

George Washington.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-27-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once again I missed your satire. Potato, potato. Sorry. I do believe you are against radical muslims. Sometimes my own personal circumstances cloud my writings. I would still offer any of you my hand if in need.

Very true Yellowstone.

And yes, George Washington. Excellent analogy.

The Black Hand is about inequities. They are a good historical read if one so wishes.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post06-27-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Once again I missed your satire. Potato, potato. Sorry. I do believe you are against radical muslims. Sometimes my own personal circumstances cloud my writings. I would still offer any of you my hand if in need.

Very true Yellowstone.

And yes, George Washington. Excellent analogy.

The Black Hand is about inequities. They are a good historical read if one so wishes.

I managed to leave out my other example : John Booth...

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 06-27-2014).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The documentaries and history that I have been exposed to--and honestly, it is more by accident than purposeful research on my part--just "stuff" that I caught on TV because I wanted to watch TV and the other channels didn't catch my fancy at whatever moment--present what happened in 1914 in a way that makes Gavrilo Princip as anything but a hero, or someone to remember as a source of modern day inspiration, or remember with gratitude for what he accomplished or what he has come to symbolize.

The narratives that I have seen present the Archduke Ferdinand as a sincere young man who had already demonstrated that he wanted to press for reforms in the Austrian-Hungarian empire that would have redressed some of the worst grievances of the Serbs and other disadvantaged minorities. Gavrilo Princip, who knew that he was already facing an early death from tuberculosis, fell into the hands of a secretive and violent group called the "Black Hand", who set him on his mission of killing the Archduke. When he killed the Archduke and his wife, it was an event that was seized upon by the prevailing power brokers in Austria-Hungary and Germany as their excuse to start a war of aggression and conquest, disguised (in the common way) as "legitimate national self defense" a war of Reaction, recklessly exploiting nationalist sentiments and military power imbalances, in what would prove to be a futile effort to preserve rigid social hierarchies and ensuring that the top dogs of various European societies would not be hard pressed to surrender their privileges and create a more level playing field for the economically and ethnically heterogenous and generally disadvantaged milieus (like the Serbs) that surrounded them. The final and violently self-destructive spasm of an anachronistic and backwards-looking Central European power structure, for whom the sands of time were rapidly running out.

Is that narrative misleading?

I've not had much to do with people that are mindful in any serious way of their Serbian heritage.

I put my post up here in the spirit--perhaps mistakenly--as "not very serious". I really don't know how the assassination plot and the man who wielded the gun in 1914 are commonly remembered today by the Serbs and their descendants around the world. I don't know, in terms of statistics. How many think it was a good thing. How many think it was a bad thing. How many think it was neither good or bad. How many even find a moment to think about it on a regular basis, or even know that part of history. That's why when I put "Bosnian Serbs", I followed it with "some of them" in parentheses.

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rinselberg

16118 posts
Member since Mar 2010
I was actually surprised by this news report, that there would be a statue of this man being unveiled in our time, and people (whatever number of them) coming to lay flowers and pay homage.

I wouldn't have expected that.

But I guess it really isn't surprising, considering some of the other groups that are active across Europe and how they present themselves.

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought your original post was pretty good satire, rinselberg.

disadvantaged milieus

They played in Mobile one week end. I didn't go; I thought they were French beatnik poets.
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
radicals want to kill moderates. they don't want to negotiate, they want revolution, at any cost. the well-being of the people doesn't matter, only the revolution. kill the moderates, the oppressors become more oppressive, the people revolt. the radicals take charge. lather, rinse, repeat.
sigh. humanity is so slow to learn.

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 06-27-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not really. they (we) learn, very quickly.
The problem, is our relatively short lifespans.
A generation after "we've" learned a lesson, it all has to be re-learned by a new generation that thought/thinks it was/is beyond making the same (or a similar) mistake.
Centuries of recorded history prove otherwise.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-28-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You do realize calling us Serbs is like calling the Jewish Jew? It may be OK to some, but is offensive to many of my brothers and sisters.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post06-28-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

You do realize calling us Serbs is like calling the Jewish Jew? It may be OK to some, but is offensive to many of my brothers and sisters.

If its not meant offensively then it sounds like its their problem. ( and that is a generic statement not directed towards any particular group of 'people' )
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Just 48 hours ago, Bosnia (Bosnia-Herzegovina) triumphed 3-1 over Iran in a FIFA World Cup soccer match in Brazil.

There was a score in a soccer game? that is news.

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-28-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

If its not meant offensively then it sounds like its their problem. ( and that is a generic statement not directed towards any particular group of 'people' )

Just like any other racial term I guess? Just because it does not start with an "n" I guess it is acceptable?

I does not really bother me, but it pizzes off some that are my family.

This was just a lesson, nothing else. Education...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock