Started on: 06-16-2014 10:12 AM
Replies: 14 (269 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 06-19-2014 09:59 AM
Fats

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a bit slow on the uptake here, but is anyone else irritated by this?

A business advertises EOE, to me that means everyone is equal.

Then, on the same page they advertise that they give hiring preference to Military, Disabled, Women, and Minorities. (But not in that order. MINORITY/FEMALE/DISABILITY/VETERAN)

Why are we pretending to be equal opportunity, when everyone except one group gets preferential treatment? That really doesn't seem "equal". ..

Brad

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it's because Equal Opportunity is a misnomer. EOE means "we won't throw your application out because you are x/y/z" (they will instead find other reasons to do so). It's not saying they'll treat each applicant with equal weight, unfortunately.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwagner:

I think it's because Equal Opportunity is a misnomer. EOE means "we won't throw your application out because you are x/y/z" (they will instead find other reasons to do so). It's not saying they'll treat each applicant with equal weight, unfortunately.

I should point out that I'm against "equal opportunity" on any level, for any reason. Just because people that haven't paid attention to me over the past 10 years will jump in saying something.

It shouldn't matter what race, or sex I am. If I am the right person for the job I should be hired for the job.

Brad

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tomorrow morning, Brad, get up to watch the sunrise so you can see the unicorn riding fairies sprinkling utopia dust. You will feel much better, and that idea of getting a job on your merits will melt away and never trouble you again.
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

It shouldn't matter what race, or sex I am. If I am the right person for the job I should be hired for the job.

Agreed
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Exactly... sadly, this isn't how the real world works. It is more about your gender and the color of your skin....
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are a Hispanic, Black, or Asian female veteran, with a disability, you get top billing. Seems pretty clear to me.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some people are more equal than others.

Jim
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got your " let me obvious " book out today, jim?
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-16-2014 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hahahaha that right there is funny
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-16-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

I should point out that I'm against "equal opportunity" on any level, for any reason. Just because people that haven't paid attention to me over the past 10 years will jump in saying something.

Brad

I'm for equal opportunity to present yourself. From that point on, i agree its the best person for the job that gets hired.

( and yes, i know it doesn't work that way... )

PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are a gay Hispanic female with a black "significant partner" and you have been discharged from the military you are good. You have most of the bases covered.
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or illegal alien undocumented worker citizen trespasser person.
Asphalt Risin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Asphalt RisinSend a Private Message to Asphalt RisinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Exactly... sadly, this isn't how the real world works. It is more about your gender and the color of your skin....

.....and in the case of unions..... advancement based on "who stepped through the door first" (no matter how lazy you are).

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm a bit slow on the uptake here, but is anyone else irritated by this?

Then, on the same page they advertise that they give hiring preference to Military, Disabled, Women, and Minorities. (But not in that order. MINORITY/FEMALE/DISABILITY/VETERAN)

Why are we pretending to be equal opportunity, when everyone except one group gets preferential treatment? That really doesn't seem "equal". ..

Brad

Oh yeah, I've mentioned this before, no one wanted to talk about it. IN my experience there are basically quotas. Its not written (well it is but not clearly), but what this also means is if there are performance based reviews they have to grade on curves to keep teh minority employed. Whatever that may be, even alternative sexual preference takes priority. Also in customer facing positions they hire the people who look like the customers that live in that area. Claiming it makes the customers more comfortable and more open to being a customer.
However it does discriminate against anyone else who wants that job, theres no ifs ands of buts about that. IMO
It happens in many places.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-19-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock