Started on: 06-13-2014 12:03 PM
Replies: 24 (544 views)
Last post by: Tony Kania on 06-15-2014 11:13 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post06-13-2014 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here in Ontario ALL pickup trucks get a commercial plate (black lettering as opposed to blue) which opens a WHOLE wack of possible arguments about applicable commerciial vs private law aplicabilaty with cops and MTO... (ya got something in the back, its got commercial plates, they "assume" you are hauling for profit.

So, they came up with a "personal use" exeption,, its a little red sticker that goes on the front plate indicating the truck is just a personal vehical, and private/ personal use laws apply.....

Yeh, well to get that sticker you have to declare and limit your gross weight to 3,000 pounds (thats truck, fuel, passengers and anything you throw in the back)

a 97 GMC weighs 4200 EMPTY......so much for that idea. Some little kid wit a Tonka Truck might qualify for that exemption, but nobody with a real truck.

fracking idiots. Welcome to government at work screwing up.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
link?

3000 kgs or 3000 lbs?

may be helpful:

http://ontariorodders.activ...p=3&topicID=57376874
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In good 'ole California you have no choice. It's a commercial vehicle and a huge portion of the fees come from it's GVWR and it's actual weight. My 7150lb 9900lb-GVWR one ton costs me $433 a year.

So my guess is they came from California. Probably imported.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-13-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was on the phone with them this morning, the guy clearly said 3,000 pounds.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Simple answer. Sell the pickup and buy a car. If you need to occasionally haul something, buy a van or wagon. I personally have NEVER had a pickup because I never needed to use one. I can carry anything I can think of in a minivan that a pickup can carry. About the only other advantage of a pickup is pulling capacity, and you can pretty much cover that with a big SUV. Suburban/Tahoe is on a truck chassis for example. The only use I can think of a pickup only being usable is towing a 5th wheel trailer.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Simple answer. Sell the pickup and buy a car. If you need to occasionally haul something, buy a van or wagon. I personally have NEVER had a pickup because I never needed to use one. I can carry anything I can think of in a minivan that a pickup can carry. About the only other advantage of a pickup is pulling capacity, and you can pretty much cover that with a big SUV. Suburban/Tahoe is on a truck chassis for example. The only use I can think of a pickup only being usable is towing a 5th wheel trailer.

you obviously dont do your own home updates etc, picking up wood/sheetrock several times, not to mention loads of mulch for the yard, and who knows whatelse....
IMO if you own a home and do things yourself, a pickup is required.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

you obviously dont do your own home updates etc, picking up wood/sheetrock several times, not to mention loads of mulch for the yard, and who knows whatelse....
IMO if you own a home and do things yourself, a pickup is required.

I have done all that in my vans and suburban's, the burb handles 8' plywood sheets with the back doors or tailgate closed. only thing I can think of that you shouldn't haul in a van is a refrigerator. they are supposed to hauled, moved standing up. but I have done it, just let the fridge sit without plugging it in for the amount of time it was laying down, usually 24 hours was all I ever did and they worked just fine.

Hell we have even hauled mini horses in the back seat of our suburban's, just fold the bottom back seat forward and walk them in, they are just a truck with a station wagon body. Our first one had rubber floor mats instead of a rug but even this one we have now with a rug we have hauled a mini horse in. as far as mulch, no problem just put a tarp down in the back and when it comes time to unload it. pull the tarp out, mulch and all.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 06-13-2014).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 5' by 10' utility trailer. Cheaper than having a pickup & can be towed by just about any car or van.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I own 2 (3 now) homes and a business. I do ALL my own remodeling and repairs. I just took my lawn tractor in for some repairs in the back of the minivan. On the way back I picked up a load of topsoil (just put plastic on the floor and up the sides). Like I said, Ive never had a use for a pickup. Ive carried all the carpet, all the paneling and all the appliances in a minivan. I need to go get some gravel too, to fill in some driveway potholes. Yesterday I took a friend to pick up a v8 motor and transmission for a car hes working on.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't remember the different limits, but here in Texas, if you have a farm tax #, you can get farm plates--both for pickups and your trailers.
Using the same truck and trailer, if you have farm plates, your allowed gross weight is, (simply because you have the word 'farm' on the license plate) significantly higher than normal license plates.
IIRC, my 16' tandem axle bumper pull trailer would only be allowed 3000lb if I didn't have farm tags, even tho it is factory rated GVWR 14,000 lbs.

Makes no dam sense at all. Who knew, that a different license plate could magically alter the load handling capacity of a trailer??
dsnover

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

I have a 5' by 10' utility trailer. Cheaper than having a pickup & can be towed by just about any car or van.

This. And insurance and registration on a trailer is stupid cheap. If you really want fancy, you can get a tandem axle dump trailer for a few grand that'll work with a class 3 hitch. Otherwise, for the load of mulch or plywood, the basic utility trailer is a great thing to have around.
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-14-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I have done all that in my vans and suburban's, the burb handles 8' plywood sheets with the back doors or tailgate closed. only thing I can think of that you shouldn't haul in a van is a refrigerator. they are supposed to hauled, moved standing up. but I have done it, just let the fridge sit without plugging it in for the amount of time it was laying down, usually 24 hours was all I ever did and they worked just fine.

Hell we have even hauled mini horses in the back seat of our suburban's, just fold the bottom back seat forward and walk them in, they are just a truck with a station wagon body. Our first one had rubber floor mats instead of a rug but even this one we have now with a rug we have hauled a mini horse in. as far as mulch, no problem just put a tarp down in the back and when it comes time to unload it. pull the tarp out, mulch and all.

Steve

Yeh, Steve...really?.....try having a forklift driver put a motor on a tire in the back of the enclosed thing, drive it 600km, .....and oh, BTW--the trailer is full to ...Ya really didnt hink I would pull an emty triler, did ya?

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a Home Depot forklift driver load shop 80 gal. air compressors in the back of a Caravan at least 3 times. Neighbor unloaded them and put them in the garage with his forklift. The yard loaded the engine with transmission in the back of the Caravan yesterday with no problem. We drug it out with an engine hoist. Rolled up the rubber mat on the floor and I was done.

Ive also picked up a complete front end for a Ford F350 pickup at the junkyard and brought it home in a minivan. Hood, both fenders, bumper, core support, radiator&condensor, all the headlites/park/turn/fog light.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 06-14-2014).]

fierobrian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rogergarrison was this you just kidding just thought we could use a laugh at some of these

[This message has been edited by fierobrian (edited 06-14-2014).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Yeh, Steve...really?.....try having a forklift driver put a motor on a tire in the back of the enclosed thing, drive it 600km, .....and oh, BTW--the trailer is full to ...Ya really didnt hink I would pull an emty triler, did ya?

Been there done that, in a station wagon, 81 Impala station wagon. Only thing we really use the pickup for is hay rolls, with an 8'x8' snow mobile trailer we can get 3 at a time.

Steve

Steve
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-14-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

link?

3000 kgs or 3000 lbs?

may be helpful...

I don't see this guy returning. Dems get all but hurt when proven wrong.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Here in Ontario ALL pickup trucks get a commercial plate (black lettering as opposed to blue) which opens a WHOLE wack of possible arguments about applicable commerciial vs private law aplicabilaty with cops and MTO... (ya got something in the back, its got commercial plates, they "assume" you are hauling for profit.

So, they came up with a "personal use" exeption,, its a little red sticker that goes on the front plate indicating the truck is just a personal vehical, and private/ personal use laws apply.....

Yeh, well to get that sticker you have to declare and limit your gross weight to 3,000 pounds (thats truck, fuel, passengers and anything you throw in the back)

a 97 GMC weighs 4200 EMPTY......so much for that idea. Some little kid wit a Tonka Truck might qualify for that exemption, but nobody with a real truck.

fracking idiots. Welcome to government at work screwing up.

See, this is what I love about Florida...

I can basically take WHATEVER the f**k I want, chop all kinds of parts off of it, and drive it around. No safety inspection, no emissions inspection, nothing. All that I legally have to make sure of is
- A, does it have the original emissions equipment on it?
- B, does it have headlights?
- C, does it have taillights?

As long as it has those three, I can basically do whatever the hell I want. I could weld an F350 pickup on top of a Datsun 280z if I damn well felt like it, and I could cruise down the road with it all day long, no one cares.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol. Here you don't need head and tail lights if its not driven at nite. You do need signal and stop though.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I don't see this guy returning. Dems get all but hurt when proven wrong.

So, I provide a link with what may be helpful.... you know... written documentation related to topic... and you are calling me out? Get over yourself. No one else has even offered to investigate.... pretty typical here. So far, I haven't seen anything that supports OPs statement. Have you? Oh wait you would rather attack others. Typical behavior...

From that link....

personal use pickup truckmeans a pickup truck;

that has a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of 6,000 kg (13,227 lb) or less, and
is fitted with either,
the original box that was installed by the manufacturer, which has not been modified, or
a replacement box that duplicates the one that was installed by the manufacturer, which has not been modified.
and
is being used for personal purposes without compensation, and
is not carrying, or towing a trailer that is carrying commercial cargo or tools or equipment of a type normally used for commercial purposes.
Note:

the personal use pickup exemption applies regardless of the pickup's registered gross weight or any actual weights of the pickup or trailer.
a pickup that is normally used for business purposes, including a farm plated pickup, qualifies as a personal use pickup if it complies with and is being used in accordance with the personal use pickup rules above.
a trailer that is normally used for business purposes qualifies as a personal use trailer if it complies with and is being used in accordance with the rules above and is towed with a personal use pickup.
some 450 and 550 series cab and chassis trucks are converted to large pickups or are fitted with fifth wheels for towing house or other types of trailers. This type of truck does not qualify as personal use pickup because the vehicle manufacturer did not install the box and the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating will likely be over 6,000 kg. If the registered gross weight or actual weight of this type of truck is over 4,500 kg, the truck and any towed trailer, including a personal use trailer, are subject to daily inspection. However, this type of truck is exempt when towing a personal-use house trailer.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 06-15-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobrian:

That has got to be photo shopped, there is no way that woman could sit on the back of that bike and it the fender not be rubbing on the tire. Look at all the other photos of all the other overloaded vehicles and tell me I am wrong.

Steve
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree Steve, but it is funny. If you look at the size of her head and feet, shed have to be 10-12 feet tall. Either that or a female bigfoot has been civilized.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-15-2014 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I am proven wrong by ya posting. But proven right about "butt hurt".

Dems are easy to send on little missions though. You completed the mission I had tasked. Gold star for you. The best is knowing that the little worker bee follows. Good worker bee!
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You got one thing correct.... you were wrong. Maybe it is you who needs acknowledgement... give yourself that gold star.

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Ok, I am proven wrong by ya posting. But proven right about "butt hurt".

Dems are easy to send on little missions though. You completed the mission I had tasked. Gold star for you. The best is knowing that the little worker bee follows. Good worker bee!

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-15-2014 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bzzzzzzzz.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock