Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  my new addition. A new ranch rifle and yes, it will go thru walls.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
my new addition. A new ranch rifle and yes, it will go thru walls. by maryjane
Started on: 06-02-2014 05:59 AM
Replies: 23 (432 views)
Last post by: Boondawg on 06-03-2014 05:44 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Weatherby Vanguard 270 with a 6-18x50 Bushnell banner scope.
A birthday present.
Rained all day so I haven't been able to try it out yet.

Tho I have always owned several firearms, I have not (for personal reasons) hunted for sport or meat since July 1971 but I think I will try to get back in to it this year or at least start decreasing the feral hog and coyote population here.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
heybjorn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 06:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good choice....enjoy
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should be a great hog rifle from what I have read, the 270 is supposed to have the flattest trajectory of all the calibers but not cheap ammo, I hope you reload I think those are like 3 bucks a shot, enjoy. And a Weatherby with a variable scope NICE you shouldn't have any trouble hitting anything at any range with that, even at your age, Mosses!

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 06-02-2014).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do we want to know how you found out it will go thru walls?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
math
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

math

Stupid math.
The same harbinger that told me that physically satisfying my wife was little more than illusion....

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 06-02-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the Weatherby's clip style, you can unload the clip from the bottom and don't have to cycle the rounds threw the chamber like some others internal built mags. I don't like that more and more rifles mags are not removable though. so that you can't have extra filled mags already for action. but they are a fine rifle and well built, the synthetic stocks are gaining my respect as they keep weight down and you don't have to worry about scratching up a nice wood stock.

enjoy

Steve
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

The same harbinger that told me that physically satisfying my wife was little more than illusion....

Harbinger? Aren't those, like, psychics or prophets, or something?

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

Harbinger?

I use it as "the bringer of bad news".....and in this case, a discrepancy of mass ~v~ volume...
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't hunt for sport either. But IMO, hunting feral hogs isn't sport. It's doing a favor to the indigenous species.

Oh, and nice rifle. The .270 Winchester is a nice cartridge, but ammo is kinda expensive.
PFF
System Bot
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any ammo can be expensive, depending on the brand and what not. You can find .270 for about $1.10 a round.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Don, Welcome to the .270 Club, once you get it dialed in, your going to love it.

My Dad (RIP) was Gunsmith, he built this custom Remington 721 with very significant changes. I've never shot a more accurate weapon than this one, he used to take the heads off of woodchucks at 4-500 yards:

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get a lot of my ammo from here: http://www.ammunitiondepot....-Win-Ammo-s/1976.htm
Fast service and if it's on the site, it's in stock and ready to ship.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

...he used to take the heads off of woodchucks at 4-500 yards:

I guess I'm just a wimp. If I was to do that I'd feel like **** afterwards.

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

He was invited to Canada by some Farmers he knew as customers of his, to rid the varmints on their farms that were destroying their crops. My Dad and me only kill if the is a good reason, or for food. For example, nothing went to waste on the Buck:

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 06-03-2014).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hog hunting..time for a pig roast.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I wish I had an Indy to sell so I could buy that gun. Good trade off, car for a sweet gun!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

just where do you think all that meat under the cellophane in the grocery store comes from?

Originally posted by California Kid:
He was invited to Canada by some Farmers he knew as customers of his, to rid the varmints on their farms that were destroying their crops. My Dad and me only kill if the is a good reason, or for food. For example, nothing went to waste on the Buck:

Ayup as a kid a local corn farmer would give us a nickel for every crow we shot with our .22s, not a bad deal for a bunch of jr high school kids who got some target practice and got paid for ridding crows from his corn fields. even made enough profit to replace the rounds we used once we got to be better shots and if we could find the dam crows. see we had to hang them off his fence line to get paid. back then I think .22s were like 50 cents a box of 50 rounds, if I remember right, memory ain't what it used to be.

to this day I can still light a stick match at 100 yards with that .22, I still have the same gun with the same 3x9 Bushnell scope. Marlin model 60.

Now days I get my practice on woodchucks/goffers and raccoons on our farm but don't get paid in money, just good home grown, non GMO, food and a happy wife. if the wife's happy I am happy, usually.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 06-03-2014).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To me it would depend on if you're doing it for fun, or pest control. I wouldn't want to do it if the woodchucks weren't an issue, but if they're damaging crops, etc., then you have to do something. I don't like killing mice or rats either, but I'll set traps if I find them where they shouldn't be. On a side note, a friend of mine had mice get in his house, but he couldn't bear to kill them so he used a humane trap so he could release them. I think he caught and released the same mouse 20-30 times. He should have just bought a bigger cage and called it a pet.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 06-03-2014).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post06-03-2014 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

Do we want to know how you found out it will go thru walls?

The man is a Marine. He KNOWS what goes thru what, end of question sesion

As for the rifle, NICE. How much ya gonna charge for some free-range bacon and pork hinds?

<yes, yes, yes I know some of that wild stuff can be NASTY eating, but what the hell----last time I had gator it tasted like swamp, but if the LA boys can swallow it down, so can I (WTF were they thinking tossin THAT on a grill)

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 06-03-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

To me it would depend on if you're doing it for fun, or pest control.

I do it for practice..
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To me it would depend on if you're doing it for fun, or pest control. I wouldn't want to do it if the woodchucks weren't an issue...

Yeah, it's when it's being done strictly for "target practice" that I have a problem accepting the activity.

I don't like killing mice or rats either, but I'll set traps if I find them where they shouldn't be.

Same here. I like to leave animals be, but if they're into my food... then all bets are off.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-03-2014 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm at the top of the food chain.....I do it because I say so!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock