Started on: 05-24-2014 10:52 AM
Replies: 19 (297 views)
Last post by: pokeyfiero on 05-25-2014 11:38 PM
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So I was sitting  in my car this morning,on line, waiting to get an oil change and "scheduled maintenance" done, dreading the bill which was to come...(The last few months have been a bit painful due to unexpected home repairs). I usually go early so I'm not there all day.‎ It's a large facility the size of a warehouse. The money stuff was bugging me,but  I just decided to stop worrying about it. It'll work out. We're "ok", we have a "rainy day" fund, it's just been very rainy lately... anyway, I wasn't going to let it ruin the day.

When I got there, both sides (Nissan and Toyota) were "down" (NO interwebs) and they have ALL of their stuff on the cloud. So they were going to do everything by hand and ‎they didn't have access to any of their info from yesterday‎,or their appointments for today... all the cars currently on the lifts or the cars parked outside waiting to have work done. All in the cloud. And all inaccessible. I asked the guy taking down my info  "Hey, I work in IT,mind if I take a look?"

Their closet was atrocious, but
I got them back online in under 2 minutes- hooray!

Both the managers came and thanked me and then the Nissan one told the guy to bring my bill to him once the work was done.

I'm not a "God-fearing" man,but I believe the universe balances itself out if you just give it enough time. So maybe it's not always a matter of faith,but of patience. Having the strength to "wait and see". But it's not a passive process- I'm 
not talking about the power of intention.  The universe can only help you SO much. You still have to ‎break a sweat turning the gear. Trick is, not to get depressed to the point that you fail to notice the handle which is connected to the gear which is connected to the escape hatch. There's usually a way out, and if you mind is clear and uncluttered, it's easier to see the exit sign.
    Too many people block their own progress with obstacles they've built themselves, and are unwilling to get past them, because they feel a nostalgic attachment to them. ‎Or,they worry about their situation so much that they miss opportunities to actually improve their situation. I could have just sat in the waiting room and not offered to help. When I DID offer, it wasn't so I could get free service. That's not "how I roll"- Its not instinctual, It's how I was raised.

Anyway, it doesn't always end up this way, but if you slow down and stop complaining and have patience, things tend to work out ok.

Have a nice weekend.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's always great when a stranger or anyone recognizes you for going above and beyond what's expected. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen too often in today's World, which in a way just makes it even more special. Super that he picked up your bill, as I'm sure a round of applauds from waiting customers would have been enough to make your day.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not surprising, tho we all know, the manager will most likely pass that expenditure on to some other customer(s).

(I prefer a realistic attitude rather than a positive or negative one)

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

It's always great when a stranger or anyone recognizes you for going above and beyond what's expected. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen too often in today's World, which in a way just makes it even more special. Super that he picked up your bill, as I'm sure a round of applauds from waiting customers would have been enough to make your day.

Ugh, no applause, PLEASE!!! I don't take compliments well, but it feels good when you're actually able to exercise your skills and see a positive result...
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

12453 posts
Member since Jan 2012
H

Originally posted by maryjane:

Not surprising, tho we all know, the manager will most likely pass that expenditure on to some other customer(s).

Perhaps, but
It would have cost him 3x my bill to get a guy in to fix things, or they would have lost a lot of $ if they reduced their work flow that day.
I'd rather start out the day on manic/ positive, and then get worn down by reality to "realistic" by lunchtime...
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

just a question and because I am a computer idiot, just WTF does "IT" stand for?

and I agree with you, what goes around comes around, help someone when you can and you will get something in return, maybe not then or tomorrow but you will get paid back. you not only helped them, the company but all the people who were waiting in line to get service done.

Glad what you did worked and you definitely know what you are doing, obviously.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IT means Information Technology,
Computers and all the stuff that gets it there fall under the field.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-24-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You DO realize I beat people who espouse the virtues do the positive and what the univers will do for them, RIGHT ??.
In fact, I am in talks with the USAF about getting a drone strike program going for them the same as we do with the Taliban !!!
now THAT'S positive thinking !

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You do realize that you are not required to go to the dealership for service or maintenance? They can't void your warranty either, if you do, as long as your vehicle is being serviced or maintained when it should be. I wouldn't take my vehicles to the dealership unless they were working on them for free under warranty.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

IT means Information Technology,
Computers and all the stuff that gets it there fall under the field.

Thanks I never understood that term and your explanation covered it quite well, and I even understood it, what a surprise huh.

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

You DO realize I beat people who espouse the virtues do the positive and what the univers will do for them, RIGHT ??.
In fact, I am in talks with the USAF about getting a drone strike program going for them the same as we do with the Taliban !!!
now THAT'S positive thinking !

Not yet, I have to get him to save yet another hard drive from yet another computer, after that all bets are off.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-24-2014).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
just a question and because I am a computer idiot, just WTF does "IT" stand for?

In your case ... Idiot Twofold, .
A lot of those IT guys go around and make sure people like you and me actually have the computer booted up, the mouse is plugged in still, we are not using an incorrect password, and otherwise correct imbecile mistakes their computer users make.
Other days are more rewarding, .

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:
Their closet was atrocious, but
I got them back online in under 2 minutes- hooray!

How ? What was the problem ?
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

In your case ... Idiot Twofold, .

Hey I resemble that!

Steve
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The manager will probably get in trouble for letting you work on their stuff.

I have offered to help and most times I have been declined. I always ask and if I can help I do. Self preservation, just want to get my **** done and leave.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-25-2014 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I have offered to help and most times I have been declined. I always ask and if I can help I do. Self preservation, just want to get my **** done and leave.

I learned not to touch anything I am not specifically hired and paid to fix, and have authorization in writing for about 10 years ago. I re-mounted a dropped door on a soft-drink fridge as a "favor" to a slush machine customer (the fridge belonged to a major soft drink company and they couldn't get a service call in fast enough to get it working for a special event, and since I was there anyway....

A simple replacement of 2 bolts turned into one frack of a can of worms that took about 9 months and lawyers involved to solve. I wont ever again be doing anymore "favors" like that for anybody.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

He was on the phone with him when I offered to help... he said something like "oh yes god please do!!!!"

It was funny, as I was closing the door to the closet, one person who just came in said "wow, we've never had anyone come that quickly" and another guy said "we didn't call him, he's one of our customers!"

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 05-25-2014).]

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not that you need a pat on the back but I like reading stories like this with goodwill and appreciation being shown jointly .
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

But one has nothing to do with the other as for the manager that is his business as usual whereas Rumor added something new onto the positive side of the scale.

For people like myself and I believe yourself keeping our expectations neutral allows us to more accurately recognize and appreciate good or bad.
When I say appreciate I mean that as a term of action.

Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
karma...it can be a b!tch or a good friend. Your call on how this round turned out!
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

Eww! Tah was scary!

I thought the big guy was going to eat the baby!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock