Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Anybody have experience with outdoor wood-fired pizza ovens?

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version


next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anybody have experience with outdoor wood-fired pizza ovens? by carnut122
Started on: 05-21-2014 09:11 PM
Replies: 11 (220 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 05-24-2014 07:24 PM
carnut122
Member
Posts: 9122
From: Waleska, GA, USA
Registered: Jan 2004


Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking about building an outdoor grill/smoker and came across pictures of wood fired pizza ovens. Originally, I was going to do some stonework and install a stainless steel gas grill in it. Then I thought I could parlay it into a smoker too. Next, I saw the pictures of the pizza ovens. Before I do all of the stone-work, I thought I should ask for opinions (good or bad). So, those who have experience, tell me all about it.

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 05-22-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer
Member
Posts: 7175
From: Kingsport, Tennessee USA
Registered: Jun 2007


Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerClick Here to Email BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll reserve my opinion until I can make it down there to sample your wood-fired stone oven pizza. What day is good for you?
IP: Logged
84fiero123
Member
Posts: 29950
From: farmington, maine usa
Registered: Oct 2004


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Click Here to Email 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend has one, he made himself from some plans he got off the net, he makes little pizzas that are really great, as well as home made bread and more. I could get pictures if you want, he is just a couple of miles away and always making stuff in it. All brick and mortar he uses a laser thermometer to check the temp and it is wood fired. I made him a door for the front of the oven that holds itself in place with the handle and I gave him a right hand welding glove as I never use mine.

he offered to pay me, but I would rather have his pizza every once in a while.

looks something like this one.



Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't



Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-21-2014).]

IP: Logged
OKflyboy
Member
Posts: 6607
From: Not too far from Mexico
Registered: Nov 2004


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No personal experience but I've seen some absolutely beautiful examples on the net. If you do decide to proceed, please keep the forum posted!
IP: Logged
davylong86
Member
Posts: 912
From: waterloo,il
Registered: Mar 2014


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, Im interested In building one myself.I have some stone left over from a job and Im starting a new deck on the house so id be interested in what you pick out. good luck

[This message has been edited by davylong86 (edited 05-22-2014).]

IP: Logged
steve308
Member
Posts: 3836
From: Stafford VA
Registered: Jan 2008


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long as you put BACON on the pizza all will be well.....
IP: Logged
carnut122
Member
Posts: 9122
From: Waleska, GA, USA
Registered: Jan 2004


Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was kind of digging this medieval version:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/290622982176693656/

But, my version would be cylindrical all of the way to the ground.

Yes, it's a Pinterest account. My wife gives me a lot of grief about having an account, but it has a lot of creative stuff on it.

Thanks for the input. Boost, I'll keep you in mind the next time pass down I-75.

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 05-22-2014).]

IP: Logged
84fiero123
Member
Posts: 29950
From: farmington, maine usa
Registered: Oct 2004


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Click Here to Email 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you make one yourself remember the inside layer of bricks must be fire bricks, then you use regular bricks over those to keep the heat in at least that is the way my friend built his, uses a laser thermometer to check the temp before putting his pizza or bread in.

Steve
IP: Logged
carnut122
Member
Posts: 9122
From: Waleska, GA, USA
Registered: Jan 2004


Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by 84fiero123:

If you make one yourself remember the inside layer of bricks must be fire bricks, then you use regular bricks over those to keep the heat in at least that is the way my friend built his, uses a laser thermometer to check the temp before putting his pizza or bread in.

Steve


Will do. All I have to do is find a supplier of such. With all of metro Atlanta, I suspect that shouldn't be too difficult.
IP: Logged
84fiero123
Member
Posts: 29950
From: farmington, maine usa
Registered: Oct 2004


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Click Here to Email 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by carnut122:
Will do. All I have to do is find a supplier of such. With all of metro Atlanta, I suspect that shouldn't be too difficult.



even with all the mortar or whatever its called he still had leaks, he ain't no stone mason, just retired Navy. Was considering coating the entire thing with mortar to completely seal it up. he searched the net for the ideal size and shape to make a pizza oven and decided on this size, rather small opening, if I remember the door was like 8" buy 8" that I made for him and welded a handle that the door rested back on, just setting there in the doorway not attached to the oven itself.

Now the inside is big, a lot bigger and he builds a small wood fire inside and lets that get to temp that is basically what I would call kindling, nothing very big. the size of the inside is what is important the opening size is as well. don't buy a regular size pizza paddle like you see at a pizza place, they are way to big and you will have to cut it to fit threw the doorway. he bought one of the smaller ones and it was still to big, I had to cut it with my plasma cutter. funny thing is the paddle the right size which is smaller than the one he bought cost twice as much as the bigger one he bought. but it was made of aluminum so cutting it without distorting the crap out of a thin peace aluminum would be a pain with like a jig saw, what he was going to use.

I will see if I can get Steve, my friends name to join and post on this thread, he works now as a councilor at the VA and is busy right now with all the returning vets from the last wars but I know he loves his pizza oven and spent a lot of time researching and building it the ideal size to make his pizza and breads, he makes some of the best bread I have ever had in that.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-24-2014).]

IP: Logged
carnut122
Member
Posts: 9122
From: Waleska, GA, USA
Registered: Jan 2004


Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by 84fiero123:
even with all the mortar or whatever its called he still had leaks, he ain't no stone mason, just retired Navy. Was considering coating the entire thing with mortar to completely seal it up. he searched the net for the ideal size and shape to make a pizza oven and decided on this size, rather small opening, if I remember the door was like 8" buy 8" that I made for him and welded a handle that the door rested back on, just setting there in the doorway not attached to the oven itself.

Now the inside is big, a lot bigger and he builds a small wood fire inside and lets that get to temp that is basically what I would call kindling, nothing very big. the size of the inside is what is important the opening size is as well. don't buy a regular size pizza paddle like you see at a pizza place, they are way to big and you will have to cut it to fit threw the doorway. he bought one of the smaller ones and it was still to big, I had to cut it with my plasma cutter. funny thing is the paddle the right size which is smaller than the one he bought cost twice as much as the bigger one he bought. but it was made of aluminum so cutting it without distorting the crap out of a thin peace aluminum would be a pain with like a jig saw, what he was going to use.

I will see if I can get Steve, my friends name to join and post on this thread, he works now as a councilor at the VA and is busy right now with all the returning vets from the last wars but I know he loves his pizza oven and spent a lot of time researching and building it the ideal size to make his pizza and breads, he makes some of the best bread I have ever had in that.

Steve



I did some research on the design last week. Your post pretty much sums up what I found on the net. I thought I'd cut up a cookie sheet for the paddle, but I haven't really given it much thought past that. Does he set the pizza right on the stonework? I'm not sure the wife is going to go for that, but I guess it would mean more pizza for me.

My half-brother is a counselor for the VA up in Wisconsin.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123
Member
Posts: 29950
From: farmington, maine usa
Registered: Oct 2004


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Click Here to Email 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by carnut122:


I did some research on the design last week. Your post pretty much sums up what I found on the net. I thought I'd cut up a cookie sheet for the paddle, but I haven't really given it much thought past that. Does he set the pizza right on the stonework? I'm not sure the wife is going to go for that, but I guess it would mean more pizza for me.

My half-brother is a counselor for the VA up in Wisconsin.


Ayup he does, I also made him a hoe kind of tool that he pushes the wood and coals to the back with. but I think a peace of stainless steel on the bricks might make the wife happier in your case and we all know

if the wife ain't happy, we ain't happy.

we have had bread he made in his and pizza, both were great and not dirty, but here is another thought, put a small cookie type sheet in under the pizza and pick up both with your spatula,

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-24-2014).]

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock