Started on: 05-11-2014 09:12 AM
Replies: 17 (322 views)
Last post by: MidEngineManiac on 05-12-2014 05:59 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-11-2014 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my laptops (Gateway NE71B running w8.1) has gotten so slow it is barely useable. SOMETHING is being a resource hog and I cant find what. I've tried iObit and it doesnt seem to help much.

Anybody have a suggestion for a good free system tune-up software ?

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 05-11-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the only program I use. A lot of those so called "optimizers" actually just add more bloat to the system. This should take care of any spyware or other crud that is slowing the system down.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless you're paying for IOBit Advance System Care, IOBit is really only useful if you know what you're looking for(And even ASC is suspect at best). I use the IOBit toolbox all the time. It's a portable app that doesn't install on the system and has a LOT of useful features such as junk files cleaner, privacy sweeper, batch uninstaller, registry cleaner/defrag, and a lot more, BUT like I said, it's really only useful if you know what you're looking to clean/remove.

As far as automated programs go, Malwarebytes is one of the best, but it really doesn't catch virii very well, it's more of a PUP, adware, malware, rootkit scanner. Also Avast! is a free antivirus that I use for constant protection, it catches virii really well, but doesn't do so hot against generic adware/malware.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Download and install process explorer. Watch the red stuff.(that's what's eating up your cycles)
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by loafer87gt:

This is the only program I use. A lot of those so called "optimizers" actually just add more bloat to the system.
*snip*

Not necessarily, most anything from Piriform is a quality program. This includes CCleaner, Defraggler(Even though I prefer IOBit Smart Defrag on drives that regularly need defragged) and Recova.

As far as actual virus removal(Not just malware), on an already infected machine, RKILL to stop the harmful process and Combofix to remove it, then followed up with MBAM and Avast to ensure the system is clean.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Gateway NV73. I do a regular full scan with free Avast, followed by a full scan of Malwarebytes. Ive caught everything in last few years. I tried others that always got infected like PC Illin and McKaffee.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you try running Task Manager yet?
Task man shows CPU and Memory use on Performance Tab. Low utilization on CPU and/or RAM than in most cases is not a software problem.

Low on Real RAM then likely will thrash swap file. Any HD problems then swap files etc will be major hosed.
Tight on free space, SSD and HD, then you will have problems.
Just Dirt plugging CPU heatsink will cause most to slow down.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-11-2014 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may be on to something with dirt/ heat build-up. The machine is a year old and I've never serviced it.

Task Manager shows low (under 25-30%) usage on RAM and HDD but CPU spikes to 90+ even for refreshing a web page like this one.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

You may be on to something with dirt/ heat build-up. The machine is a year old and I've never serviced it.

Task Manager shows low (under 25-30%) usage on RAM and HDD but CPU spikes to 90+ even for refreshing a web page like this one.

Task manager will let you sort items by CPU usage. Just put the most resource heavy at the top and see what shows up. That should give you a good place to start.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting. Firefox is bouncing 15-40%, everything else is 2.5 or less.......AND, I updated to the lastest FF last week or so....

Might be time to go to Chrome on this machine....(or ya got another lightweight browser ?) I've been on FF since W98.

Kinda Weird, my W7 laptop has no issues with it and its a less capable machine.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run Chrome, but I'm also a self-loathing Google addict.. Right now, I have 17 instances of Chrome running in my task manager, but I'm also a major tab monster and everything you run in Chrome(Extensions, extra tabs, etc) gets its own process label. My biggest issue is that Chrome seems to have a minor memory leak. Either that or I've just got too much going on as all of my Chrome processes are totaling somewhere in the 2.5GB of memory usage range.
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try process explorer.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go to the start button and in the search area at the bottom type in "msconfig" and hit enter.

When the window pops up go to the "startup" tab and hit "disable all". Then go to the "services" tab, check "hide all Windows services" and again hit "disable all" Hit apply and close and let the system reboot. See if it runs better. If it does you got something(s) in the startup profile that eating up resources. Once you confirm it runs better, I will generally run msconfig a second time and only enable the bare minimum like antivirus, any utilities that are specifically for the computer like wireless services or utilities. 90% of the crap that gets loaded with WIndows is completely unnecessary.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 05-11-2014).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-11-2014 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Try process explorer.

I did that much earlier today Killed a BUNCH of startup stuff that wasnt needed and it helped some but not enough.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Try process explorer.

YES!! A great tool. I had forgotten about it because I don't do windoze, but I have been carrying it on my thumb drive for years, because you never know.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Try process explorer.

Just looked it up and I use Process Hacker. The 2 are similar, but I much prefer PH over PE. It feels easier to use.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FF problems then disable most/all plugins and extensions.
Many problems you see as FF is really extensions problems, including in Task Man and Proc Ex because FF does not report most extension and some plugins as own threads.

1 example, I've seen many skins that will eat CPU/GPU time vs plane FF.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2014 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

FF problems then disable most/all plugins and extensions.
Many problems you see as FF is really extensions problems, including in Task Man and Proc Ex because FF does not report most extension and some plugins as own threads.

1 example, I've seen many skins that will eat CPU/GPU time vs plane FF.

BINGO !!!!

I disabled the Ever-sync add-on (which I LOVE as the instant I turn any of my machines on everything is synced automatically) and am back to normal out-of-the-box speeds. Oh, well....guess I will just have to remember to enable it every night and disable during the day.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock