Started on: 05-09-2014 07:21 PM
Replies: 22 (376 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 05-13-2014 10:50 PM
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Airliner almost hit a military drone in Florida.

http://www.huffingtonpost.c...rone-near-collision/
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The friendly sky's aren't so friendly anymore.

Why was a drone so close to an airport? I would think that would be a no fly zone for drones as they are not equipped with radar, or are they?

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Around an airport, simply the pilot looking out the window is preferred over radar. Theres no one in a drone. The lag between radar image and manuevering can be deadly...as this one almost caused a crash. Radar usually only gets you lined up with a runway a few miles out from touchdown.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing much to contribute to this thread except that I never understood the term "near miss". Either you missed or you didn't. Like being "sort of pregnant". Either you are or you aren't.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Near miss means they missed each other but were within a 'safety bubble' of each other that FAA dictates...usually an area 1-3 miles in any direction. Within a mile usually results in some kind of evasive action by either or both aircraft. Aircraft within a mile of each other can hit in a few blinks.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-11-2014 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Nothing much to contribute to this thread except that I never understood the term "near miss". Either you missed or you didn't. Like being "sort of pregnant". Either you are or you aren't.

Dont forget, aircraft arent like cars. The bigger ones DONT respond to control inputs quickly, and at the speeds they travel (even a light-ish twin is doing 3 miles a minute plus, ) thats 6 miles per minute closure or 10 seconds from a crash........in something that can EASILY take more than 15 seconds for the pilot to see, recognize and initiate action AND get the machine to start responding.

Here is what you would see (with the time until impact) with a regular light trainer coming at you. Beleive me, and much more than a mile it DOES take a few seconds for the brain to figgure out if thats a bird or a plane, how far away it is, and what direction its heading in. That puts it in the 4-7 second range which IS enough time to do something in a small, responsive plane. NOT so much in something bigger and faster.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 05-11-2014).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys (and/or the FAA) can call things whatever you want. There's just no such thing as a "near miss". If you "nearly missed" something, you hit it. Either you hit something or you missed/didn't hit something. There's no in between. Or...about 5 years ago, I "almost missed" running over a big tree root with my lawnmower. Then, since I "almost missed" hitting it, I "sort of replaced" the blade.
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You guys (and/or the FAA) can call things whatever you want. There's just no such thing as a "near miss". If you "nearly missed" something, you hit it. Either you hit something or you missed/didn't hit something. There's no in between. Or...about 5 years ago, I "almost missed" running over a big tree root with my lawnmower. Then, since I "almost missed" hitting it, I "sort of replaced" the blade.

ACCIDENT - The National Safety Council defines an accident as an undesired event that results in personal injury or property damage.

INCIDENT - An incident is an unplanned, undesired event that adversely affects completion of a task.

NEAR MISS - Near misses describe incidents where no property was damaged and no personal injury sustained, but where, given a slight shift in time or position, damage and/or injury easily could have occurred.

A 'near miss' is a politically correct term that exists.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-11-2014 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WBailey1041:

ACCIDENT - The National Safety Council defines an accident as an undesired event that results in personal injury or property damage.

INCIDENT - An incident is an unplanned, undesired event that adversely affects completion of a task.

NEAR MISS - Near misses describe incidents where no property was damaged and no personal injury sustained, but where, given a slight shift in time or position, damage and/or injury easily could have occurred.

A 'near miss' is a politically correct term that exists.

There are better definitions.....

Incident: The pilot almost crapped his pants.
Near Miss: He just did
Accident: It doesn't matter anymore.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 05-11-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think of it as a miss that was very near to hitting you. If you stand right on the edge of a curb and a car goes by you only an inch away from contact...thats a near (by) miss.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Again, you guys (and the FAA) can sugarcoat things all you want. No way you can "nearly miss" something. Either you missed it or you didn't. If it makes you feel better to think that you nearly missed something, go right ahead. You'll never convince me that it makes any sense.
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You guys (and/or the FAA) can call things whatever you want. There's just no such thing as a "near miss". .

It's an industry term.
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure this is just the beginning. Nothing is going to stop the feds from using their new toy here in the states, nothing.
Purple86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why is a drone flying / spying over its own country?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Things that are near are closer than things that are far. You can miss by 5 miles or by 1 mile, for example.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you. I love precise language.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

Thank you. I love precise language.

its.....its.....its.... A LAWYER !!!!!!!!!

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can call it a close call if you want. For something that dont make sense to you, seems like everyone else in the country knows exactly what a near miss is.
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

You can call it a close call if you want. For something that dont make sense to you, seems like everyone else in the country knows exactly what a near miss is.

And some people are OK with using words like irregardless.

I think everybody knows what a near miss is when somebody says it but........ I am in the camp that technically a near miss would be something that almost missed but did hit.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So it should be called a "near hit". Which is something I experienced with the ladies countless times as a young man.
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From my standpoint, I call it getting controllers out of thier laz-y-boy chair in the breakroom and into a meeting room or on position.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On a note for that idea...I dont really know if these military drones show up on radar or not. Apparently in the case, the approach and airliners on board radars didnt see it.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Near miss,,,, fascinating term.

Perhaps an aircraft was too NEAR for comfort but MISSED a collision, hence "Near Miss".

So how did I do?

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock