Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Boondawg's Brand New Never Been-Done Before/Been-Done Waaaay Too Much Computer Build!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Boondawg's Brand New Never Been-Done Before/Been-Done Waaaay Too Much Computer Build! by Boondawg
Started on: 05-04-2014 06:57 PM
Replies: 34 (621 views)
Last post by: litespd on 05-27-2014 12:23 AM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post05-04-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am stripping the guts (Click to show) out of this old case and putting them in a new case so I can have it up and running while I put the new guts in this NZXT Phantom:

The new case with the power supply installed. This 600watt power supply does not have all the plugs my 750watt had, so I will have to do quite a bit of jumpering & doubling to fit into all the plugs on the motherboard:

Empty bay of the new case waiting to get stuffed:

Old motherboard (minus cpu cooler) screwed down to risers:

My beautiful baby scornfully eye-ballin' me:

Cpu cooler installed. I removed 1 of the 2 overhead fans I installed as it would have just been blocked by the cpu cooler. The cpu cooler has its own fan buried within the cooling tower that exhausts heat to the back fan and out the back of the case:

The mother board power, front panel, & fans wired in:

Solid State hard drive & DVD burner plugged in:

Video cards & sound card in:

On her feet and and ready to roll:

Buttoned-up and go-go-gadget....hopefully.

She was a tight fit, but as you can see from this post, she works just fine!

I start my first water-cooled build tomorrow!

------------------
Motherboard - ASROCK Z87 Extreme 4
Processor - i5-4670k 3.4GHz @ T.B.D.
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 Watercooling
Memory - 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866
Videocards - Dual-EVGA GTX-275 896MB Superclocked
Powersupply - Corsair TX750watt @ Single 60amp 12v Rail
Monitor - Westinghouse 37" LCD
Soundcard - ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Speakers - Cyber Acoustics 100 watt 5.1 Surround Sound & Sennheiser HD-598 Headphones
Chassis - NZXT Phantom
Operating System - Windows 7 Ultimate

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 05-04-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow!

Looking good, Boonie! I swear, one of these days I REALLY need to build or upgrade my old PC. I haven't done anything to the one I built over 8 years ago.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeaaaaa, Boonie build thread!!!!!
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-04-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Yeaaaaa, Boonie build thread!!!!!

I know, I love reading these threads!
They're always about my 2 most favorite things in the world.....computers & ME!!!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the cable management setup in your mATX case. And mATX SLI is pretty slick.

Oh, and BTW my desktop system uses the 500W version of that Coolmax power supply. It's about 8 years old... still chugging along.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-04-2014 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I like the cable management setup in your mATX case. And mATX SLI is pretty slick.

I love my NZXT Phantom.
Lot's of room and options.
I'd buy it again!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2014 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my 120 SSD in.
All systems go!

I also picked up this to power my 2-channel house speaker collection through my Xonar Essence soundcard:

I coulda' went with 2.1 powered computer speakers, but I got a nice home speaker collection in my closet just aching to be used.
And I can plug into the front of it anything with a 3.5 headphone jack and amp up the sound from ipods, tablets, laptops, phones, etc. through those good speakers.
It is also AC/DC, so I can also use it in cars, boats, motorcycles, etc.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 05-06-2014).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have something almost like that, but from a different company and I use it to power the speaker from a 60s radio. I use it as a charging station and music center. Cool!

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Got my 120 SSD in.
All systems go!

I also picked up this to power my 2-channel house speaker collection through my Xonar Essence soundcard:

I coulda' went with 2.1 powered computer speakers, but I got a nice home speaker collection in my closet just aching to be used.
And I can plug into the front of it anything with a 3.5 headphone jack and amp up the sound from ipods, tablets, laptops, phones, etc. through those good speakers.
It is also AC/DC, so I can also use it in cars, boats, motorcycles, etc.

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
YES YES YES YES YES AND YES YES YES!!!!!

OMG another Boonie build thread!! Man, you have just made my day!!

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 05-06-2014).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know, I love reading these threads!
They're always about my 2 most favorite things in the world.....computers & ME!!!

Lol
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2014 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time to get the radiator mount-ready:

Some brackets:

A couple of fans to get things moving:

The motherboard mounted to the risers in ol' Beautiful:

CPU plugged-in, sans cooling block:

Memory time:

Time to see if the mounted radiator is going to interfere with the top 200mm fans AND/OR the memory on the motherboard:

Tucked right in there nice:

The radiator just BARELY cleared the height of the memory:

Waterblock mounted to the CPU:

Just need to plug in the headers, do wire management, & fire her up!
I'm also going to remove that clear back fan and replace it with a black one.

I got called away but i'll be back!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 05-13-2014).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got a new computer, too. Not quite as fancy as yours, Boonie.

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boonie, I didn't want to steal your thunder, but seeing as how you enjoy both posting AND looking at computer builds, I thought I'd show you a shot of mine that I built last year, just before the new Haswell CPU's came out. Had I known, I would have waited. I wasn't quite done when this was taken...I started out using the on-chip graphics, but eventually went to a standalone video card. I hadn't done any cable management, either. Specs are below...

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UP4TH
Processor: Intel I7-3770K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Water Cooling
Memory: Crucial Ballistics Sport DD3 16 GB (2x8GB)
Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA GTX660
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 700W
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black Series HDD
Optical Drives: Pioneer BDR 2208 BDXL Blu Ray Reader/Writer, HP DVD 1260i DVD/CD Reader/Writer
Speakers: Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Speakers
Chassis: Cooler Master CM Storm Enforcer with 2 Antec True Quiet 120mm fans in addition to factory fans
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:

but seeing as how you enjoy both posting AND looking at computer builds....

That I do!
Thanx!

A little random $16,000 candy:

http://rog.asus.com/2692120...s-xdna-aurum-24k-pc/

------------------
Motherboard - ASROCK Z87 Extreme 4
Processor - i5-4670k 3.4GHz @ T.B.D.
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 Watercooling
Memory - 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866
Videocards - Dual-EVGA GTX-275 896MB Superclocked
Powersupply - Corsair TX750watt @ Single 60amp 12v Rail
Monitor - Westinghouse 37" LCD
Soundcard - ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Speakers - Cyber Acoustics 100 watt 5.1 Surround Sound & Sennheiser HD-598 Headphones
Chassis - NZXT Phantom
Operating System - Windows 7 Ultimate

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 05-13-2014).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can probably nix those two 120mm fans on the radiator, considering it already has fans above it. Just a thought.

Keep the pix coming plz.
Joseph

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JosephSend a Private Message to JosephEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice build. I like the push/pull fan setup on the radiator, looking good~
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2014 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You can probably nix those two 120mm fans on the radiator, considering it already has fans above it. Just a thought.

My thoughts too, but the consensus is that the push/pull for this exact setup works really well.
And a part of the 200mm fans are still grabbing air around the space the radiator don't take up.
I'll take all the top-venting I can get!

If I had my druthers, I'd vent everything out the top.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome gaming rig!! BUT CAN IT PLAY TITANFALL??
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My thoughts too, but the consensus is that the push/pull for this exact setup works really well.

Roger that.

Have you picked out a video card (cards?) yet?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-15-2014 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

Awesome gaming rig!! BUT CAN IT PLAY TITANFALL??

With 2 GTX-275's........circa 1940ish......negative.

PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-15-2014 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have you picked out a video card (cards?) yet?

Yup.
The two GTX-275's that came over on the Mayflower.
I am stone-cold out of money.
Paul Rodgers at the end of this month with hotel & some gambling money pretty-much closes me out.

However, if I could find a $200 closeout on a $400 dollar videocard brand new, I would deffinatly make that happen......somehow.
Joseph

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JosephSend a Private Message to JosephEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yup.
The two GTX-275's that came over on the Mayflower.
I am stone-cold out of money.
Paul Rodgers at the end of this month with hotel & some gambling money pretty-much closes me out.

However, if I could find a $200 closeout on a $400 dollar videocard brand new, I would deffinatly make that happen......somehow.

I'd keep an eye on the GTX 770's, I'm pertty sure they'll be in the lower 200's USD (with rebate) in the next month or so.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-17-2014 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph:

I'd keep an eye on the GTX 770's, I'm pertty sure they'll be in the lower 200's USD (with rebate) in the next month or so.

I will, thanx.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I'm in past boot...

I will have to do something about my radiator push/pull set-up....I'm getting a slight "wind buffeting" noise......similar to aircraft propellers.
Not horrible, but noticeable.

EDIT: Heh, it was my 20" house fan blowing into the side of my computer on the test bench! DOH!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 05-19-2014).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2014 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
I also want to say what a pleasure it was to have my old system up and running while I built my new system.
It was possible only because of all the spare parts (power supplies, hard drives, DVD drives, etc.) I had collected over the years.
Transferring my old guts into another case while installing new guts into my case allowed me to take my time, to stretch it out and not worry or get all stressed out while configuring the new system.

I'll never build another system any other way.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2014 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Heh, for the first time in my computer history my CPU is running cooler than my Motherboard.
CPU - 32C (89F)
Motherboard - 35C (95F)

The ambient temperature in my room at the moment is 85F.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The ambient temperature in my room at the moment is 85F.

Thats pretty warm, it gets above 75 here and I have to go find a cold beer. Somewhere with AC
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Thats pretty warm, it gets above 75 here and I have to go find a cold beer. Somewhere with AC

Yeah, I have had 2 computer boxes, 1-46" TV, 1-39" monitor, 1-23" monitor & 3-worklights running all day.
The heat really builds up over the course of the day in that situation.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 05-19-2014).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2014 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
I don't know if this is good or bad, but from a deadswitch start to the time the desktop timer-circle thingy stops rotating & you're good-to-go: 35 seconds.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2014 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
The menagerie...

PFF
System Bot
Joseph

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JosephSend a Private Message to JosephEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know if this is good or bad, but from a deadswitch start to the time the desktop timer-circle thingy stops rotating & you're good-to-go: 35 seconds.

Windows 7? Look for a quick boot option in the bios, might help some.

Mine boots from cold to full desktop in 5 or so seconds, but I use Win 8.1

Love the NZXT case BTW, and the PFF dedicated monitor.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-26-2014 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Video & sound installed, wires all tucked away.

I have now completely transitioned over to the new system.
The multiple cores of the new processor are performing just as I had hoped when downloading movies, playing music, surfing the internet, watching videos, playing games and editing photos all at the same time.
Every window instantly pops open, no stutter, no delay, no time-out's, no hassles!

Sure is great when a plan comes together!

All I really need now is video cards.......card.......something up-to-date.
Everything else is golden!

Did I mention how much I LOVE my quality soundcard & quality headphones?
Best thing I ever bought me!
Changed my life.

The build now moves into the slow & steady overclocking phase...

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 05-26-2014).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-26-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Stock, out-of-the-box, no tweaking:

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Stock, out-of-the-box, no tweaking:

7.7 here.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock