Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Anyone ever buy an old school bus before? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone ever buy an old school bus before? by theBDub
Started on: 04-29-2014 06:45 PM
Replies: 54 (1437 views)
Last post by: Gokart Mozart on 05-03-2014 12:13 AM
theBDub

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Chive chapter is looking to get an old bus and convert it into more of an RV with sleeping for a few of us so we can roll deep to meetups and charity events.

I don't know where to start with this. I see stuff on Craigslist and eBay but I don't know what is a good deal, what isn't... what to look for, what to not care about. What a good price is?

Any help would be appreciated. I mean, most of it is probably common sense, but we haven't done this before so I figured I'd ask.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroReinke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroReinkeSend a Private Message to FieroReinkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Post up on grassrootsmotorsports.com in the $2014 section. Those guys are always on the lookout for odd stuff.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anyone ever buy an old school bus before?

Would have to be, wouldn't it?
ybnormal74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ybnormal74Send a Private Message to ybnormal74Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
www.govdeals.com

Just keep a look out on there.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by ybnormal74 (edited 04-29-2014).]

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you mean an old school bus, or an "old school" bus..?

Just feeling nerdy today... but this is a new (to me) example of why it's no easy task to program a computer to understand and respond to input, using only conversational human language.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 04-29-2014).]

Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest getting some kind of government bus, school, metro, nursing home etc. I would avoid most private party sales due to the busses tend to sit and that never good. But never hurts to look. A gov. bus is likely to have been well maintained.

Are you after gas or diesel? big block front engine school ones go really cheap. The diesel pushers can cost, and cost to fix. Oh, and some busses have a sped limiter and might be geared soley for city.

Had a friend years ago get a metro diesel pusher from a family member. Thing was pretty sweat all the seats were still in it and we drove it around town, drove really nice, and people would get off the bench thinking we were going to stop

DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pedo bus

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post04-29-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I helped build & grew up in this:

This is what it looks like today:

Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just from my point of view from having driven city bus for a short time.
Avoid Gillig and GM city type buses they are geared and limited for city duty, if you find yourself on a freeway you'll be pedal down to hold 55/60 MPH
In short stay away from Transit buses

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Ok Boonie.. you can't do a hit and run here. What's the deal with that bus? Is it something you went back to visit just to reminisce? Or do you currently own it now?

Are you planning on fixing it up? Are you going to take it for a cross-country vacation?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post04-29-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Ok Boonie.. you can't do a hit and run here. What's the deal with that bus? Is it something you went back to visit just to reminisce? Or do you currently own it now?

It's still sitting along side a goldmine in Dawson City, YTC.
It's been long abandoned.
My brother had someone that lives there take pictures of it a couple of years back.
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps this is what you need?

Seriously, an old Divco milk truck would be way cooler than a school bus.

------------------

I speak English. Sue me.

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 04-29-2014).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Related to Chris?

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 04-29-2014).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My brother works for a school district in Ark, and he has bought 2 different surplus school buses, did a little work on them and resold both for a profit. He gave less than $1000 for each.
You just have to catch the state or district sale and submit a sealed bid most of the time.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys are awesome! I sent this at a busy time at work and couldn't get back to it but I'll get you all tomorrow. For the record, I'm talking "old schoolbus" not "old school bus" I think most of you understood. Thanks again! I think I'll be the facilitator of this project because I've wanted one for so long anyway so now it's a matter of educating myself.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

You guys are awesome! I sent this at a busy time at work and couldn't get back to it but I'll get you all tomorrow. For the record, I'm talking "old schoolbus" not "old school bus" I think most of you understood. Thanks again! I think I'll be the facilitator of this project because I've wanted one for so long anyway so now it's a matter of educating myself.

How old School and how deep you talkin?

http://stockton.craigslist.org/for/4379148469.html
It ain't ol'skool but it is real kewl!

Damn I want to buy that!

[This message has been edited by pokeyfiero (edited 04-30-2014).]

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Do you mean an old school bus, or an "old school" bus..?

Just feeling nerdy today... but this is a new (to me) example of why it's no easy task to program a computer to understand and respond to input, using only conversational human language.

The rear entrance was for colored people.
Back in "the good old days" they had to sit in the back of the bus.

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 04-30-2014).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could also look into a shuttle bus. They are cheap and very easy to find. I have helped convert two of them and a third is already purchased.
You can get them in just about any size, from 10 people to near city bus size. They are in auctions all the time and also listings.
There are even forums for converting them. I have seen several of them converted into "party busses"
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

Sheeeet.... The back of the bus is where it's at!

Get your poindexter ass up to the front! The back is for da Homies.

I didn't grow up in a secluded environment. Being a homie meant you were down and chill.
Racism was something you feared from the cops not your peers.
That was a mexican indian perspective anyway.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
//

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 04-30-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Uaana:
Avoid Gillig and GM city type buses they are geared and limited for city duty, if you find yourself on a freeway you'll be pedal down to hold 55/60 MPH

I would not think school buses are geared for continual highway use either.

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

A friend near my lake property had one of those (still configured for city mass transit) he got for cheap. He had to buy tires and batteries and they were not cheap. He got it for stupid cheap though so it balanced out. He ended up selling it, which was not easy due to slight demand and he let it go for about what he had into it.
I will try to get the money numbers.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damn I want to buy that!

Old = cheap. Not so much an age requirement.

That thing is awesome but we aren't looking for a party bus, more a place where a bunch of people can just drink and sleep.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theBDub

9688 posts
Member since May 2010

Originally posted by Red88FF:

I would suggest getting some kind of government bus, school, metro, nursing home etc. I would avoid most private party sales due to the busses tend to sit and that never good. But never hurts to look. A gov. bus is likely to have been well maintained.

Are you after gas or diesel? big block front engine school ones go really cheap. The diesel pushers can cost, and cost to fix. Oh, and some busses have a sped limiter and might be geared soley for city.

Had a friend years ago get a metro diesel pusher from a family member. Thing was pretty sweat all the seats were still in it and we drove it around town, drove really nice, and people would get off the bench thinking we were going to stop

Thank you! Lots of good info.

I'm going for diesel. Natural gas is too hard for a group of regular people to get a hold of while crossing cities.

Originally posted by Uaana:

Thanks!

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/

http://www.bargainbusnews.com/schoolbuses.php
I'd go for something like
http://www.bargainbusnews.c...6674-1985CrownCrown/

Scratch that,

http://www.bargainbusnews.c...oolBus/#imgiframediv

WOW that thing is saweeet!

Perhaps this is what you need?

Seriously, an old Divco milk truck would be way cooler than a school bus.

I'm looking for something that can fit a group... not a couple.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Old = cheap. Not so much an age requirement..

That is pretty damn cheap!

Originally posted by theBDub:That thing is awesome but we aren't looking for a party bus, more a place where a bunch of people can just drink and sleep.

really, Cause that sounds like a party bus to me.

[This message has been edited by pokeyfiero (edited 04-30-2014).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

really, Cause that sounds like a party bus to me.

Note the word sleep though... so no long and thin bench across the bus lol.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Turn in your remote control. No more NBA for you!

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i sort of covet one of these:

http://www.greyhoundcoach.com/gallery.html

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 04-30-2014).]

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might want to see if Mr. Hall has one in the States, lurker. Shipping may be prohibitive. Not that you care, but BDub might.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Note the word sleep though... so no long and thin bench across the bus lol.

You're just not drinking enough man.

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might want to look up the "drinking in a motor vehicle, even if its parked" laws where you live, just in case. Thought occurred to me, it may be different where you are, but I know the cops can give me a hard time for drinking while just sitting in a car.

Also, when all expenses are considered, would it just be cheaper to buy a used RV motor home? When you consider repair and conversion costs, it might not be a lot more, and it would be more suited to highway travel.

Unless you're looking for something to just crash in, vomit on, and hose out at the end of a trip.
PFF
System Bot
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This makes me wonder what happens to old rock band tour busses when they no longer need them. You never see any advertised for sale. They must wear those suckers out.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did some generator work on one of those old charter buses. It would be sweet if you could pick up one of those cheap. This thing was wired for sound and satellite. TV's all over. And a john in the back. That could come in handy for the drinking part.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

Id trade my motorhome for one of those in the same condition...then I could build it how I want it. It WOULD be awesome for going to the races. Watch from the top in air conditioning....even put in a walk thru sunroof to go clear up on the roof. Outside storage for a 60" LCD, BBQ grill, ATVs.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-30-2014).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

This makes me wonder what happens to old rock band tour busses when they no longer need them. You never see any advertised for sale. They must wear those suckers out.

http://www.busforsale.com/buses/index.php?cat=1
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gokart Mozart

12143 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by lurker:

http://www.busnuts.com/ad_56_Scenicruiser.htm

56 Scenicruiser

Guess what ! Yes, we want to sell our 56 Scenicruiser 8V 71 Detroit, registered as a 1956 RV. It's 40 feet long, it has two twin beds, two air conditioners, one being heater also, refrigerator, tub, toilet, kitchen sink, stove, black, gray and fresh water tanks. Needs to be finished out as an RV. $13,500. If you want to know more about it, call us at 903 887 6272 or e-mail us to o1949@hotmail.com & pijunco@hotmail.com

Bus is at:

218 N Gun Barrel Lane
Gun Barrel City, Tx. 75156
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

You might want to look up the "drinking in a motor vehicle, even if its parked" laws where you live, just in case. Thought occurred to me, it may be different where you are, but I know the cops can give me a hard time for drinking while just sitting in a car.

Also, when all expenses are considered, would it just be cheaper to buy a used RV motor home? When you consider repair and conversion costs, it might not be a lot more, and it would be more suited to highway travel.

Unless you're looking for something to just crash in, vomit on, and hose out at the end of a trip.

Good call. I didn't think about that, being from Missouri. You can drink pretty much anywhere there.

But yeah on that last line.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theBDub

9688 posts
Member since May 2010

Originally posted by tebailey:

I did some generator work on one of those old charter buses. It would be sweet if you could pick up one of those cheap. This thing was wired for sound and satellite. TV's all over. And a john in the back. That could come in handy for the drinking part.

That would be pretty cool!
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.curbsideclassic....or-greyhound-and-gm/

A cool write-up on the history of Scenicruisers.

I always thought one of these would make a wicked RV.

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 04-30-2014).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That 1963 Crown School Bus is amazing. I will probably go newer just for reliability but damn it's sweet.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock