Gas Grill Maintenance by Lilchief
Started on: 04-29-2014 05:33 PM
Replies: 3 (130 views)
Last post by: cliffw on 04-30-2014 01:59 PM
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got some gas for my grill the other day and the grates are getting rusty. They were coated with black porcelain or something. What is causing the coating to come off ? Any way to stop this ? It's a brinkmann grill with cast iron grates.

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is causing the coating to come off? Normal use. The only way to keep a gas grill from falling apart is to not use it. Well, that may just slow the process down a bit.

I have had MANY grills in my lifetime. I always buy middle of the road because no matter how much you spend, they will always need a complete overhaul every year or two.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep I have to replace the grate every couple of years. Bring the grill out of the elements in for winter (unless you use it all winter then just cover it well). Alot of people dont even do that. Eventually the gas (plenums?) rust out.

I always thought it was dumb they make the outside nice shiney stainless and all the internals are not stainless.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-30-2014).]

cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lilchief:
I got some gas for my grill the other day and the grates are getting rusty.

Meh ... the grill/grating on my wood fired pit rusts all the time when not in use often. I just burn it with a fire I start and then wire brush it. It has never hurt me.

Originally posted by Lilchief:
They were coated with black porcelain or something. What is causing the coating to come off ? Any way to stop this ?

Yeah, I have had gas pits with that coating. Ceramic ? I think many heating/cooling cycles help cause it, and once it starts it's like rust a grows/flakes off more.
I would replace it with some expanded metal.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock